Basal Metabolic Rate

Options
How important is this? I understand what it is: basically the amount of energy your body needs just to survive, if you were in a coma. However, MFP set my calorie goal intially quite a long way under my BMR. I'm tall and quite big and so my BMR is 1804. However whatever calculations I do (changing between sedentry and lightly active for example, or from losing 1.5lb or 1lb a week) it still sets my calorie goal at below my BMR?

I have just moved my calorie goal up from 1700 to 1800 as I have been feeling very tired. Why would MFP set my goal below my BMR? I guess it just has a generic 'woman BMR' setting of never dropping below 1200??

Replies

• barbsus1991
    barbsus1991 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Because if you ate your BMR everyday and did no exercise you wouldn't loose weight. You would maintain your current weight. You need to have a deficit whether that is from eating less food, or eating your BMR calories and doing a lot of exercise.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your BMR based off of you profile (age and height) as well as your selected activity level (most of us are sedentary with desk jobs). For women, the general rule of thumb is this turns out to be your weight times 10. This will give you what you need to eat to lose absolutely no weight and gain absolutely no weight. When you set your goal to lose 1 pound per week, MFP sets your calorie goal at a 500 calorie deficit - but not going below 1200 calories ever. For 2 pounds, it's 1,000 calorie a day deficit, again, not going below 1200 calories.

So, if your BMR is 1800 - and you set to lose 1 pound a week, your calorie allotment should be 1300 calories. Then when you enter exercise, your calorie allotment will go up by the amount of calories you burn doing exercise. So, if you burn 200 calories doing 45 minutes of walking, your calories for the day will go up to 1500.

Does that help?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Because if you ate your BMR everyday and did no exercise you wouldn't loose weight. You would maintain your current weight. You need to have a deficit whether that is from eating less food, or eating your BMR calories and doing a lot of exercise.

sure you would. BMR is not maintenance calories, depending on the person it's between 60 and 75% of maintenance.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    MFP sets your BMR based off of you profile (age and height) as well as your selected activity level (most of us are sedentary with desk jobs). For women, the general rule of thumb is this turns out to be your weight times 10. This will give you what you need to eat to lose absolutely no weight and gain absolutely no weight. When you set your goal to lose 1 pound per week, MFP sets your calorie goal at a 500 calorie deficit - but not going below 1200 calories ever. For 2 pounds, it's 1,000 calorie a day deficit, again, not going below 1200 calories.

So, if your BMR is 1800 - and you set to lose 1 pound a week, your calorie allotment should be 1300 calories. Then when you enter exercise, your calorie allotment will go up by the amount of calories you burn doing exercise. So, if you burn 200 calories doing 45 minutes of walking, your calories for the day will go up to 1500.

Does that help?

no, this is incorrect. If your BMR is 1800 and you're lightly active that would give you a maintenance calories of around 2350 or so probably (again this varies depending on you), and setting your goal to be 1 lb per week would be a 500 calorie deficit or about 1850 calories (right around your BMR), if you set it to 2 lbs per week then it would be 1350.

But that depends on whether your body can handle that much of a deficit. If you're obese you probably can, but if you only are looking to lose 10 or 20 lbs or so, that's probably going to be to large of a deficit.
  • rosiesparkle100
    Options
    Thanks for the replies but I'm not sure that people (apart from SH Boss) really understand BMR. BMR is not what you need to maintain, it's what you need to stay alive. To maintain I need 2,400, as you burn calories just by typing on a computer, talking etc. What I was thinking is that I would put my cals up to 1800, and not eat back anything I burn just by walking (which I do a lot of), but just eat back calories when I do a proper workout and burn more than 300 cals. But I worry I still won't be eating enough calories, and at the same time, I wonder that I am eating too much! Help!
  • cbotti
    cbotti Posts: 3
    Options
    Your BMR is calculated as follows:
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

MFP gives you a cal goal below your BMR because one pound is equivalent to 3500 calories. Therefore, if you wanted to lose 1 lb a week you would need to take 500 cal out of every day. So if your BMR is 1800 cal then you would want to only consume 1300 cal a day.

That said, if you work out you can eat those calories back. So if your target for the day is 1300 cal but you go to the gym and burn 300 cal then you would want to eat 1600 cal for that day.

I think MFP is using BMR as a guideline to ensure people will lose weight. Plus I'm sure most people consume more calories then what they log (all those random bite, licks, and tastes).

>>>>>>>
    There is a really cool website that allows you to calculate how many calories you burn by doing everyday activities. Therefore, if you want to get a more accurate calorie count log your daily activities in the calculator to find out a better daily calorie target for you.
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

Hope this helps!
  • rosiesparkle100
    Options

no, this is incorrect. If your BMR is 1800 and you're lightly active that would give you a maintenance calories of around 2350 or so probably (again this varies depending on you), and setting your goal to be 1 lb per week would be a 500 calorie deficit or about 1850 calories (right around your BMR), if you set it to 2 lbs per week then it would be 1350.

But that depends on whether your body can handle that much of a deficit. If you're obese you probably can, but if you only are looking to lose 10 or 20 lbs or so, that's probably going to be to large of a deficit.

Thanks SH Boss. So in your opinion is it ok to eat below BMR? I don't actually want to lose 2lbs a week, but I just wondered whether it would be totally counterproductive to even try...?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks for the replies but I'm not sure that people (apart from SH Boss) really understand BMR. BMR is not what you need to maintain, it's what you need to stay alive. To maintain I need 2,400, as you burn calories just by typing on a computer, talking etc. What I was thinking is that I would put my cals up to 1800, and not eat back anything I burn just by walking (which I do a lot of), but just eat back calories when I do a proper workout and burn more than 300 cals. But I worry I still won't be eating enough calories, and at the same time, I wonder that I am eating too much! Help!

if you've accounted for the walking in your activity level, then don't count those. Walking's iffy anyway in my book. The human body is very well adapted to walking, and the calorie burn is far lower for it than people think. This, of course, doesn't necessarily apply to power walking though, unless you do it all day (this concept goes for any moderate exercise by the way, once the body becomes accustom to it, muscle memory reduces the calorie burn, which is why so many of us trainers extol the virtues of muscle confusion).
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I concur that BMR might not be the right term. I completely agree that BMR in the truest sense is what it takes for your body just to survive - but that isn't what MFP bases your deficit off of (in my understanding).

However, from everything that nutritionalist have taught me for most women who are sedentary during the day (office jobs), the calories you burn on a daily basis is your weight times 10. I know for me - that is true. If I eat above that and don't exercise, I gain weight. If I eat about 500 below that - I'll lose about a pound a week give or take.