cutting down exercise or eat more????

Options
I have been running about 4 miles a day and burning about 600-800 calories each run. I also have a hard time eating enough to meet my calorie goals for the day. so i think i'm putting my body into starvation mode. should i cut back on the exercise? or try to pig out more, because i'm not loosing any weight. When i first started running i droped from 238 to 222 and and thats were i'm at still 2 months later......any advise???

Replies

• FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Eat more! The exercise is good for you outside of weight loss. It builds muscle, can increase circulation, and keeps your body healthy. People can be physically fit and still have fat on them, just as people can be skinny and not physically fit.

Treat yourself to a cupcake :smile:
  • ajoyfulnusiance
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. If I excercise then I have to eat more when I am not feeling hungry. So sometimes I don't exercise just so I won't have to eat something. I do try and work out though about 2-4 times a week. But tonight I know that I won't get my calories in so I won't exercise. I am in week 4 without losing any weight as well. :( I am so frustrated!!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I usually compromise between the 2 if I can't decide. I'll do a bit less and eat a bit more. Sounds logical, so I do it :happy:
  • Sarah70183
    Options
    I'm so glad someone asked this question, because I feel the same way! I feel like , in a weight loss sense, what is the point of exercising if it just makes you have to eat more??
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'd continue with the exercise because it's good for the body. You don't have to eat all your exercise calories back so adding a couple hundred more a day should be easy. Just add another snack. I'm assuming you are at least eating your daily calorie intake goal, correct? If not, you definitely need to eat more.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    Eat smarter. Add nuts, avocado and seeds to your diet. And don't forget the high grain unprocessed carbs. A little of those goes a long way to giving you more energy, a higher metabolism and a healthy body.
    Also try Greek yogurt, quinoa and eggs for extra protein when needed.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to make sure you net your suggested calorie count. I stopped losing weight for a little over 2 weeks from not eating enough. I was only netting 700-800 calories a day. As soon as I started eating more and making sure I netted between 1200-1400 calories my weight loss has picked back up. I have lost 6 pounds in less than 2 weeks. It really surprised me how actually eating more made me lose more....but I promise, it works!!
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The advice I was given was eat the minimum calorie intake for the day PLUS 25% of your exercise bonus calories (minimum).
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Not sure just how many calories you're trying to fill, but a bowl of pasta or rice can be a quick 200+. Peanut butter or a handful of plain nuts are other high-calorie, not bad for you foods.

You definately need to eat though! Bodies in motion need fuel!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Eat less, I never (hardly ever) come close to my calories per day, and I have yet to not lose weight (on the weeks I was good, I think I gained one pound one week) And there is a real good thread on here someplace titled something like, the starvation mode myth, it's a good read. I'm about 20 pounds heavier than you and burn around 700 cals in exercise each day.

Drink plenty of water, and double check that you are not going over on cals, and maybe step up the exercise program a bit.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Snack on nuts or peanut butter. Add olive oil or flaxseed oil to some of your dishes. Adds lots of calories if you need them without really increasing the volume of food you're eating.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    There are SO many benefits to exercise, too many to list! Eating small balanced portions spread throughout the day mostly fruit, veggie, lean protein and whole grains and healthy fats will allow your body to get what it needs and not starve as long as your within your goal to lose. Here are a few benefits to exercise http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ01676. BTW its totally normal to platue occasionally. If you're making a healthy lifestyle change, slow and steady is the pace Ive chosen:)