Birth Control Pills

lauble
lauble Posts: 47
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I am taking progesterone only birth control pills. My question is this....does taking these make it harder to lose weight? I am exercising 3-4 days a week for about an hour at a time. I stick to a 1200 calorie diet, but I have noticed that lose about 1 pound every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks...just seems so slow. I know a healthy rate of weight loss is healthy, etc...but still...any ideas from my fello MFPers?

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Some birth controls do make it hard to lose weight, or make you gain weight. I am on the nuva ring, which...as far at I know, is the lowest effective hormone level out there. I haven't gained weight.
    You may want to talk to your doctor, and see if there may be a better one out there for you.

Medicines can do a number on your body sometimes....
    Good luck!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Are you ONLY eating 1200 calories on the days that you work out? If so, that might be your problem. You may be burning too many calories compared to what you are taking in and your body doesn't like it.

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    They can certainly cause you to gain weight and make it harder to lose. I started a new one after having been off for a while and I feel 20lbs heavier : ( having a hard time controling cravings, retaining water etc.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    i'm taking the same thing (and breastfeeding) and have been struggling to lose weight. i'm not sure what effect that's having. i've heard some people just melt the weight off while breastfeeding, and others who struggle while breastfeeding and then drop the weight after weening. not sure if it has to do with taking the mini-pill or not.
  • I am taking progesterone only birth control pills. My question is this....does taking these make it harder to lose weight? I am exercising 3-4 days a week for about an hour at a time. I stick to a 1200 calorie diet, but I have noticed that lose about 1 pound every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks...just seems so slow. I know a healthy rate of weight loss is healthy, etc...but still...any ideas from my fello MFPers?

Working out 3 or 4 days for an hour...what is your calorie burn? Cause if you are burning a decent amount of calories and are staying within 1200 calories ..your not eating enough... The say if you excersie and burn 600 calories you need to eat 1800 to get to the ture1200 calories. I was on LoOveral .. one of the low estrogen..and lost weight and I have a mireana in now and am losing with it, when the internet forums say that you will never lose weight with it in... but I am so you might look at your calorie burn on your exercise and adjust from there...
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Your calorie count sounds like it might be a little low. Are you still only eating 1200 calories on the days you work out? If so, you may need to up your calories on those days (I know it seems counter-productive to eat back the calories you burned exercising, but it does work.) I think of it as "I exercise so I can eat more!" (and get fit, of course) Good luck! I know a plateau can be so frustrating!
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    I gained initially when I started on them a few years ago, and then I leveled out. Any other gain since then can be attributed to eating poorly and lack of exercise. I *will* say it gave me fat in places I had never had it before (between my belly button and my "business"). I don't think it's affected my weight loss at all. Try eating some more calories on days you exercise.
  • I actually lost weight when I was on the pill (around 20lbs) and since coming off it I've put it all back on. As with anything, its all to do with what you're eating. The pill can make you think you're hungry when you're not so just remind yourself of that (for this reason I took it before bed so I would be asleep by the time the hunger pains kicked in!)

Getting pregnant will make you put on much more weight so keep on it but just think about your choices :)
  • paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    I am on Loestrin24Fe and I am losing weight just fine.
This discussion has been closed.