Burning Calories on the Elliptical.

Options
I'm 5'11" tall. I weight 233LBS. I'm 32 years old. The last two days I've done the elliptical at the gym for 33 minutes. It's 28 minutes of the weight loss setting and 5 minutes of cool down. The first day I burned 312 calories (according to the machine). The second, 315. I've been trying to keep my heart rate around the 140 to 150 range and have succeeded with the exception of a couple spikes in between.

Do those 312 and 315 calorie counts sound accurate given my info above? I'm looking online at how much one "should" be burning and my totals are way low compared to what I'm reading. I know different things factor in.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    The best means of getting an accurate burn count is with a hrm but that does sound about right, if you really want to burn off the fat though go with interval training, I can burn upwards of 1000 cal/hr doing that and the benefits last long after the workout is over. I just recently started a 300 stlye program which has benefits lasting up to 48 hours post workout. I started a mens group geared towards advice for diet and workout routines as well as weekly challenges, feel free to add me as a friend and take part if you like.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I go by what my elliptical says and I have a HRM that pretty much agrees with it. The cals burned on MFP are a great deal less than what I actually burn. Also it depends on what level you are set at and the speed youa re going. The HRM lets me get my heart rate up and maintain it . I do the 30 minute weightloss setting on level 4 and burn about 660 cals. I am 5'6" 153.5lbs
    I say invest in a heart rate monitor. It's the best bet!!
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    Yes it sounds right, but I'd try to stay in the 150's range that's what I do. Today I did 35 mins at 336 calories. (30 mins with 5 mins cooldown on Level 1 Manual)
  • b4bena
    b4bena Posts: 23
    Options
    I think that sounds about right...
    I also started with similar numbers last month and worked my way up to 45+5 mins and sometimes 60+5 mins (5 mins cool downs).If I keep my heart rate about 130+, roughly 100 calories every 10 mins. I read somewhere this is good for starting phase, once your body gets use to this you should throw in some intervals. Now I am doing manual 2 mins of high intensity and 3 mins recovery...which can be gradually decreased to 1 min recovery, and this will reduce boredom too.