Recovery drinks?

Options
I'm doing P90X and always hear Tony talking about the infamous P90X recovery drink. I went to order it online, then saw it was re-formulated and did not get very good reviews.

currently, i try to drink 6oz of chocolate milk after a workout, but is there anything better?

Thanks!

Replies

• grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    What was it in the reviews that discouraged you? I don't have any point of comparison between the old and the new, but I have been using the new and think it tastes fine. From what I can see in the reviews is that Beachbody was looking to reduce sugar and carbs, which I see no negative aspect in. Just give it a try. It's a great product!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    They changed the sweetener they use. Is does seem to mix easier but the taste is slightly different than before but I just use a little less water than before and now I don't even notice any difference. That being said, it still tastes really good and is the best thing on the market.

Chocolate milk has close to the same ratios of Carbs and protein, 4:1 but that's about it. In a pinch its probably fine and cost effective but longterm I'd find something else. Contrary to alot of the info you hear on here, you need Carbs after a tough workout. You muscles burn sugar and that needs to be replaced, that's what this drink does. About an hour after the workout is when you want some protein.

I've been using the recovery formula since day one of P90X, I'm in round 4 and honestly can't think of using something else.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm doing P90X and always hear Tony talking about the infamous P90X recovery drink. I went to order it online, then saw it was re-formulated and did not get very good reviews.

currently, i try to drink 6oz of chocolate milk after a workout, but is there anything better?

Thanks!

regular milk is better for recovery than chocolate milk. Regular milk still has a lot of carbs and protein, but a lot less sugar.
  • NeenaMD
    NeenaMD Posts: 23
    Options
    I'd recommend something with high protein in it to help your muscles recover. I drink Optimum 100% whey protein. They have chocolate flavors, which I like a lot. And there's also strawberry, which is pretty good.
  • irishredbloke
    Options
    As a 35 year old soccer player, I'm interested in recovery as quickly as possible and the least amount of soreness. Post-workouts I never reach for anything more than an Gatorade or something very high on the GI scale. Your muscles are in a position to absorb high-GI foods/liquids quickly right after workouts. By consuming high-GI liquids immediately after workouts, you allow your muscles to start replenishing glycogen stores right away (i.e. preparing for tomorrows workout). If possible, eat a small meal with lower GI foods and proteins about 1-2 hours later. This has worked out pretty well for me, allowing me to do 30 min plyometrics and 30 min of interval cardio one day following with more intense work the next day. Timing of food is just as key as the type. I hope this helps. Just google for glycemix index and you'll find foods and their respective values.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I found the P90x stuff overpriced. I use Optimum's After Max

Remeber that the P90x recovery drink has creatine in it. Thats what builds muscle faster and gives you the extra pump.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    As a 35 year old soccer player, I'm interested in recovery as quickly as possible and the least amount of soreness. Post-workouts I never reach for anything more than an Gatorade or something very high on the GI scale. Your muscles are in a position to absorb high-GI foods/liquids quickly right after workouts. By consuming high-GI liquids immediately after workouts, you allow your muscles to start replenishing glycogen stores right away (i.e. preparing for tomorrows workout). If possible, eat a small meal with lower GI foods and proteins about 1-2 hours later. This has worked out pretty well for me, allowing me to do 30 min plyometrics and 30 min of interval cardio one day following with more intense work the next day. Timing of food is just as key as the type. I hope this helps. Just google for glycemix index and you'll find foods and their respective values.

You said it. That's exactly what they invented the stuff for. Get sugar back into your muscles.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I just use whey protein after the workout. The recovery drink is nice, but I need that protein.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice/input!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice/input!

Ask your Team Beachbody Coach, they may have an answer for you as well. After all that is what they are there for.
  • kgage1011
    kgage1011 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't use the P90X recovery drink....because I'm cheap. :) However, I do use Accelerade (from GNC) it is a 4:1 ratio as well. I cannot say enough good things about it. I am on my 2nd week of P90X, and this is coming from a girl who has done very little in exercise for the last few years, so I know I should be getting really sore after the workouts (especially the day after.) But, the recovery drink really helps the muscles repair themselves faster. I live on Camp Pendleton and the clerk at GNC told us that a lot of Marines use Accelerade after their vigorous workouts, especially the Special Forces guys. So we thought we should try it and I am so glad we did! I am not nearly as sore after the workouts...and I BRING IT!
  • terrivision
    terrivision Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My husband and I use Myogenix After Shock (sold at GNC) after our workout. We use a blender to mix it because sometimes you get chucks in the bottom if you just use a shaker. It contains 34g of protein per serving. We usually only take 1/2 a serving. It has helped alleviate a lot of the soreness that occurs the day after a workout.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Drinking a P90X Results and Recovery Shake as we speak!