What are you giving up for lent?

Options
2»

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You should probably give up bread unless your diet is totally clean. Sugar is almost everything, including bread.

Thanks for the tip. I don't eat added sugars normally except for the occasional muffin or protein bar, but I could definitely use lent as a reminder.
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    STARBUCKS!!!! This is going to be the Challenge of a Lifetime!!!!!
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic, but isn't the purpose of Lent to give up something in order to use those resources to help someone else?
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am giving up :

Pasta
    Hard Alcohol
    Candy

& I am promising to do prayer
    novenas during the entire 40 days :)
  • eating4balance
    Options
    I'm not Catholic, but isn't the purpose of Lent to give up something in order to use those resources to help someone else?

I'm not Catholic either. I am Lutheran, which is a branch of Catholicism, so they're close to the same thing :smile:

You're right. Some use lent to help others, but most of the people at my church give up things similar to how Jesus fasted for 40 days. It is supposed to remind us of the sacrifice that he gave for us. At least, that's how we usually do it. Your thinking is probably more selfless!
  • colombiana444
    colombiana444 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up religion.

bahaha...I like this

love :)
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Topics relating to religion and/ or politics are not allowed on the boards, simply to keep the peace. Lent falls under this.

13) Topics about politics or religion are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about either of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss either of these topics, please google political forums or religious forums - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14924-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Im giving up Lent for Lent.........how does that sound

lol

nah, but no mas Ghiradelli dark chocolate, or wine...............Lloyd

amiklin, no ones really discussing religion, most folks are using this time for just giving up something, thats all........Lloyd

I think there were many many posts about dear Mr. Santa Claus and Christmas just a few months ago, and surely we cant forget about Mr. Easter Bunny......
  • eating4balance
    Options
    Topics relating to religion and/ or politics are not allowed on the boards, simply to keep the peace. Lent falls under this.

13) Topics about politics or religion are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about either of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss either of these topics, please google political forums or religious forums - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14924-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

Thanks for that. I did not realize religious based things were not allowed. I see why though, because previous lent debates kind of got heated. So, from now on, this is what are you giving up on your "40 day diet"
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options

Thanks for that. I did not realize religious based things were not allowed. I see why though, because previous lent debates kind of got heated. So, from now on, this is what are you giving up on your "40 day diet"

You are welcome. Just to keep the peace :)
  • beckyhope
    beckyhope Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm actually giving up stepping on the scale for Lent. I step on it every morning and am one of those people who gets discouraged when I dont see change, or worse, when the numbers go up. So I will continue to eat well and exercise, but I will not step on the scale until Lent is over, and then see what sort of progress I make!

That's totally what I was thinking of doing!
  • britlew
    britlew Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am not catholic.. BUT i have a friend who started this and I am joining her. We have decided to give an extra 30 minutes of exercise and "religious reflection" a day..
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    complaining???

Ooh - that's a good one.
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, Sex, Facebook, and Excessive Spending
  • littlemissbogus
    Options
    I'm working on giving up negative thoughts and complaining and replacing that energy with compassion for those that drive me NUTS and thinking the best of other people. I couldn't possibly give up the Starbucks though. ;)

And btw, I'm not particularly religious either.

And for those that care, Lent is a time that's been in the seasonal cycle for thousands of years before Christianity or any of the other Abrahamic religions. It's when the stores of last year's harvest are running out and personal sacrifice was required of all so that everyone could survive. Nowadays it's more a purification practice than a practical one. Kind of a "spring cleaning" of the crap that brings us down. It doesn't need to have any religious affiliation.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    little miss, wow, thanks for your information. I didnt know any of what you mentioned. I went to 12 years of Catholic School , lol, and none of those nuns even mentioned this fact

Im giving up wine and sugar............this ought to be interesting...lol.............Lloyd
  • Wandami
    Wandami Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up air...=0)