Are protein powders dangerous?

Options
Did anyone else see the article in the July 2010 issue of consumer reports? It was warning that some protein powers contain some unhealthy levels of arsenic, lead, and cadmium. If a person were to consume three servings a day of some of these powders they could be exposing themselves to dangerous levels of these substances. They did a study on 15 of these and one of the worse offenders was Muscle Milk brand. Also, some people go overboard on the protein to begin with. There are some dangers of getting too much protein. I use one serving a day of GNC whey protein powder. I'm kind of concerned about this now! Any thoughts?

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too...
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    when in doubt research it. 3 shakes a day is a bit much, I try to get the bulk of it from diet, but shakes are good for quick protein fixes, like anything abuse it and there can be problems.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thats a bit scary.
    Have you had a look at the nutritional information on the GNC container? Does it contain any of those nasties? If there are any ingredients you are not sure of you could google them.
  • kimiel
    kimiel Posts: 108
    Options
    Thats a bit scary.
    Have you had a look at the nutritional information on the GNC container? Does it contain any of those nasties? If there are any ingredients you are not sure of you could google them.

I don't think it is listed, it's just there!
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a scoop in the morning and one - 1.5 at night if my intake for the rest of the day is low - I use an all natural powder from these guys www.revolutionarynutrition.com/

I track my protein and use the powder as appropriate
  • kimiel
    Options
    Apparently some of these things come from fertilizers that are used to grow some foods. It is a bit alarming to say the least!
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    That report was pretty enlightening. Got to read what is in the food we are eating.

Natural sources for protein are always prefered, but sometimes for time or what ever reason a couple scoops of protein powder is a good choice. I try to avoid more than 2 scoops in a day of the product I use, but that's only when i'm on a high protein kick which is usually for no more than a month or so. then I'm down to more "sane" levels and I don't use any whey supplementation.

The info is out there, so if you choose wisely you can avoid the ones with the largest amount of heavy metals.
  • kimiel
    Options

Thanks!!
  • Sadie98072
    Options
    Thats a bit scary.

• Sadie98072
    Options
    Thats a bit scary.

Are food products allowed to be sold if they dont have the nutritional content available somewhere??

I just did a quick google and found the contents for the vanilla GNC whey protein powder:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2887270
  • kimiel
    Options
    Thats a bit scary.

Are food products allowed to be sold if they dont have the nutritional content available somewhere??

I just did a quick google and found the contents for the vanilla GNC whey protein powder:

The nutritional supplements like protein powders and vitamins aren't regulated like other food products!
  • Sadie98072
    Options
    Thats a bit scary.

The nutritional supplements like protein powders and vitamins aren't regulated like other food products!

Ahhhh, I didnt know that. Anyhoo - the information for GNC is there on their website.
    Not too sure Id be ingesting something that doesnt have a list of ingredients....
  • Yzfdude1
    Yzfdude1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you look at the FDA totals for foods like, Salmon, tuna, chicken breast and corn cereal you more likely to get arsenic poisoning from that than a protein shake.

From http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesregs/sdwa/arsenic/basic-information.cfm

Arsenic occurs naturally in rocks and soil, water, air, and plants and animals. It can be further released into the environment through natural activities such as volcanic action, erosion of rocks and forest fires, or through human actions. Approximately 90 percent of industrial arsenic in the U.S. is currently used as a wood preservative, but arsenic is also used in paints, dyes, metals, drugs, soaps and semi-conductors. High arsenic levels can also come from certain fertilizers and animal feeding operations. Industry practices such as copper smelting, mining and coal burning also contribute to arsenic in our environment.

Higher levels of arsenic tend to be found more in ground water sources than in surface water sources (i.e., lakes and rivers) of drinking water. The demand on ground water from municipal systems and private drinking water wells may cause water levels to drop and release arsenic from rock formations. Compared to the rest of the United States, western states have more systems with arsenic levels greater than EPA’s standard of 10 parts per billion (ppb). Parts of the Midwest and New England have some systems whose current arsenic levels are greater than 10 ppb, but more systems with arsenic levels that range from 2-10 ppb. While many systems may not have detected arsenic in their drinking water above 10 ppb, there may be geographic "hot spots" with systems that may have higher levels of arsenic than the predicted occurrence for that area.
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Powder is fine - just buy it from a reputable company (like Optimum Nutrition, my favorite!). If the company has recalls on its products, avoid them. The good-old slogan applies: "If it's too good to be true, it probably is." This is especially true for "bargain" protein powder that you see at Wal-Mart, Sams Club, etc.
  • kimiel
    Options
    If you look at the FDA totals for foods like, Salmon, tuna, chicken breast and corn cereal you more likely to get arsenic poisoning from that than a protein shake.

From http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesregs/sdwa/arsenic/basic-information.cfm

Arsenic occurs naturally in rocks and soil, water, air, and plants and animals. It can be further released into the environment through natural activities such as volcanic action, erosion of rocks and forest fires, or through human actions. Approximately 90 percent of industrial arsenic in the U.S. is currently used as a wood preservative, but arsenic is also used in paints, dyes, metals, drugs, soaps and semi-conductors. High arsenic levels can also come from certain fertilizers and animal feeding operations. Industry practices such as copper smelting, mining and coal burning also contribute to arsenic in our environment.

Higher levels of arsenic tend to be found more in ground water sources than in surface water sources (i.e., lakes and rivers) of drinking water. The demand on ground water from municipal systems and private drinking water wells may cause water levels to drop and release arsenic from rock formations. Compared to the rest of the United States, western states have more systems with arsenic levels greater than EPA’s standard of 10 parts per billion (ppb). Parts of the Midwest and New England have some systems whose current arsenic levels are greater than 10 ppb, but more systems with arsenic levels that range from 2-10 ppb. While many systems may not have detected arsenic in their drinking water above 10 ppb, there may be geographic "hot spots" with systems that may have higher levels of arsenic than the predicted occurrence for that area.
    Interesting!!
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thats a bit scary.

They do list their nutritional information, but heavy metals are not listed in ANY food's nutritional information. Sure, some of these have a presence of heavy metals, but I'm curious to see what the levels of those same metals are in other foods and food products.

There's nothing wrong with using protein supplements, and the obvious "taking too much protein" has nothing to do with the supplements, it's an issue with the individual. If you are not strength training, you can easily meet your protein requirements with natural foods if you have the time, otherwise using one serving of an appropriately matched protein powder supplement is a good way to meet your needs. However, if you are strength training, and especially if you are lactose intolerant, protein powder supplements offer a great way to make up the difference between protein needs and what you get from your diet.

Also, consumer reports says that a balanced diet is a cheaper way to satisfy your protein needs, but that just isn't true. At as little as $1 or less per serving, many of these proteins powders are priced quite well.
  • brograjen
    Options
    OMGoodness, thank you for the info. I bought it for my sons to drink during football training. They sell it at Sam's Club in cases and they finished a case in a week. No more Muscle Milk for them. I'm glad they had only drank the two shakes a day for a week before I read this. Very Scary. I drink the Special K protein drinks occasionally I will have to find out f they are safe.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Also, a micro-gram is one millionth of a gram. 1/1,000,000th of a gram. Apparently the few supplements that do exceed the quantities recommended by U.S.P. exceed them by a matter of 1 or two micro-grams, sometimes by up to 10 micro-grams, IF you take 3 servings per day.

Do you really think that 5/1,000,000ths of a gram of lead, mercury, cadmium, or arsenic is going to make you sick? Where is the scientific evidence that this is a danger beyond what consumer reports warns? I would certainly need to see more evidence before concluding that I'm at risk, and even then, I would need to see evidence that these levels are found in Protein Powder supplements and not in other food sources before concluding that I need to stop using protein powder.

Also, it looks like the chocolate flavors are the ones likely to be affected by the presence of heavy metals (with the exception of Muscle Milk's Vanilla and MuscleTech's vanilla), so just get one that's not chocolate and you'll be fine regardless!
  • kimiel
    Options
    Also, a micro-gram is one millionth of a gram. 1/1,000,000th of a gram. Apparently the few supplements that do exceed the quantities recommended by U.S.P. exceed them by a matter of 1 or two micro-grams, sometimes by up to 10 micro-grams, IF you take 3 servings per day.

Do you really think that 5/1,000,000ths of a gram of lead, mercury, cadmium, or arsenic is going to make you sick? Where is the scientific evidence that this is a danger beyond what consumer reports warns? I would certainly need to see more evidence before concluding that I'm at risk, and even then, I would need to see evidence that these levels are found in Protein Powder supplements and not in other food sources before concluding that I need to stop using protein powder.

Also, it looks like the chocolate flavors are the ones likely to be affected by the presence of heavy metals (with the exception of Muscle Milk's Vanilla and MuscleTech's vanilla), so just get one that's not chocolate and you'll be fine regardless!

I have no idea at what level these things would make me sick. I would also like some scientific data on this. I haven't stopped using it either. I just intended to raise some awareness, not scare anyone away from using them. I'm not sure about the chocolate thing either, I just think that they randomly chose 15 brands to test.