Calorie confusion.

Options
Basics, I am 5foot11 & weigh 156 pounds. I want to reach 130 pounds by the end of May. I've set goals for myself, to eat 800 calories or less a day & exercise for 1 to 2 hours in the gym, 2-4 times a week.
Are these realistic? I'm so confused with calorie consumption. Some people say to cut down if you want to lose weight but others say you shouldn't eat less than 1200, which seems an awful lot to me as even on piggy days I only reach about 1000.
Any advice would be so appreciated! I really want to reach my goal & will try anything to get there.

Replies

• WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Basics, I am 5foot11 & weigh 156 pounds. I want to reach 130 pounds by the end of May. I've set goals for myself, to eat 800 calories or less a day & exercise for 1 to 2 hours in the gym, 2-4 times a week.
    Are these realistic? I'm so confused with calorie consumption. Some people say to cut down if you want to lose weight but others say you shouldn't eat less than 1200, which seems an awful lot to me as even on piggy days I only reach about 1000.
    Any advice would be so appreciated! I really want to reach my goal & will try anything to get there.

First of all, 800 calories and 1-2 hours in the gym is unhealthy. You will be burning all the calories you eat in a day. Your body needs at least 1200 calories just to function and more if you're exercising heavily. Losing 26 lbs in 2 months is an unhealthy goal. Slow and steady wins the race. You say you are "willing to try anything to get there". ARE YOU WILLING TO FEED YOUR BODY WELL & EXERCISE SMARTLY? That's what will get you there, not crash dieting and exercising away all of your body's nutrition.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but 800 calories is not enough, especially when you will be spending 1 to 2 hours at the gym.
  • GinoATC
    GinoATC Posts: 60
    Options
    800 is way to low. Your body needs more than that just to survive. And what do you eat that you can pig out and not go over 1200 cal?
  • ashleyxnicole89
    ashleyxnicole89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    800 calories a day is ludicrous! I can barely stay under my regular 1200 without having my exercise give my extra calories. I feel like you should be eating more than that. Especially on gym days. Just my opinion.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that 800 calories a day will wreak havoc on your metabolism! Stick with the 1200, eat clean and you will do well :] feel free to add me for support! :D
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    800 is much too low. 1200 NET calories (meaning, 1200+whatever you burn exercising) is the bare minimum that you should even consider, and many people do better at above that number. Food is fuel, and you need fuel especially if you're planning to exercise, as it takes energy to build muscle. If your body is used to subsisting on less than 1000 calories a day, you may have slowed down your metabolism, and you'll need some time to repair it-- but you SHOULD try to repair it instead of just pushing your calorie goals even lower to compensate. You'll be healthier in the long run.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Definitely not a realistic goal for the time frame for the amount of weight you want to lose. 1-2lbs a week is the MOST you should shoot to lose. Also eating less than 1200 a day (for most people) will cause you lose LESS weight because your body thinks you are starving.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    Honestly, you may be storing fat at this point if you are only eating 1,000 calories. If you are going to work out that hard, you will also need more nutrition for that as well.

Without knowing your age exactly, I just calculated your BMR which is the minimum you should eat based on your height and weight. It comes out to about 1500. This is not even taking your activity level into account! That 1500 is just what your body needs to maintain basic everyday living.

I am sorry to say, but I think you are going to do yourself a great disservice if you cut back that much. Your body needs nourishment, not starvation to lose weight.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options

Not only that, but you do realize that 156 pounds for your height is actually quite healthy right? 130 is actually below the healthy weight range. Why are you being so hard on yourself?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    First off, 130 may be a little low for your weight. You should be fine just where you are, you just might need to burn a little fat and build a little muscle.

At your height, 800 calories is not nearly enough for an entire day, especially if you are spending 1-2 hours at the gym. In one hour I typically burn 530-670 calories. You won't be giving your body any nutrition on which to function, which is not healthy. Even my toddlers are supposed to have at least 1000 calories a day and they weigh 26 and 28 pounds.

If I were you, I would set my weight loss to .5 pounds per week and I'd eat at least half my exercise calories every day. This will burn some fat but will make it a little easier to build a little muscle, and your body will stay healthy.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and was 120. I can tell you it is way low even 130 is too low, you are going to look like a stick. I was forever getting called anna. I wasn't, I just had a great metabolism and was heavily into sports, I ate like a horse though. I am aiming for 165 or at lowest 155
  • marshmallowmind
    marshmallowmind Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. Sorry if it seemed ridiculous but where I'm so new to dieting & I've heard so many stories, I was lost on what to do. But you've all helped set me straight with it. :)

"Not only that, but you do realize that 156 pounds for your height is actually quite healthy right? 130 is actually below the healthy weight range. Why are you being so hard on yourself?"
    I was always the fat kid & that image has just been engraved into my brain. I can't look in the mirror without seeing my 16 year old self where I was horribly overweight [in my eyes] & even though I've dropped 2-3 dress sizes, I still can't help but hate what I see. I am trying to fix that, but it's proving difficult.. Plus, when I was younger, up until I hit puberty, I was tiny. My mum thought I was secretly starving myself but in reality I just didn't care much for food. Going from underweight to overweight so fast kinda messed with my head, hah.

I'll increase my calories, not in one massive lump but from 800 to about 1200 over the next week. Even though my current weight is considered healthy, I'm all jiggle! I've never done a days exercise in my life apart from walking to Uni & back. I want to lose all this 'padding' & tone up. I've always wanted to be 130. If I feel comfortable with myself before I reach that, I'll stop. No point continuing down that road if I'm happy, right? :) It's just my general aim, y'know?
    Anywho, I'll take all of your advice & definitely keep it in mind.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    Please talk to your doctor. It sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with food. You could have an eating disorder. Talk to your doctor and tell him or her exactly how you feel so you can be evaluated. I don't say this to be mean, but out of concern for you.
    Thanks for all the help. Sorry if it seemed ridiculous but where I'm so new to dieting & I've heard so many stories, I was lost on what to do. But you've all helped set me straight with it. :)

"Not only that, but you do realize that 156 pounds for your height is actually quite healthy right? 130 is actually below the healthy weight range. Why are you being so hard on yourself?"
    I was always the fat kid & that image has just been engraved into my brain. I can't look in the mirror without seeing my 16 year old self where I was horribly overweight [in my eyes] & even though I've dropped 2-3 dress sizes, I still can't help but hate what I see. I am trying to fix that, but it's proving difficult.. Plus, when I was younger, up until I hit puberty, I was tiny. My mum thought I was secretly starving myself but in reality I just didn't care much for food. Going from underweight to overweight so fast kinda messed with my head, hah.

I'll increase my calories, not in one massive lump but from 800 to about 1200 over the next week. Even though my current weight is considered healthy, I'm all jiggle! I've never done a days exercise in my life apart from walking to Uni & back. I want to lose all this 'padding' & tone up. I've always wanted to be 130. If I feel comfortable with myself before I reach that, I'll stop. No point continuing down that road if I'm happy, right? :) It's just my general aim, y'know?
    Anywho, I'll take all of your advice & definitely keep it in mind.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    Maybe going to the gym and getting a personal trainer would help you with your body image. They can help you w/ exercise and let you know what is going to help you.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You are already are at ideal weight. Instead of making your mission so much about the weight why not focus more on the toning up of what you have. You will look hot if you tone up, more so than if you lost more weight and look sickly.
  • kelda_shelton
    Options
    I'm 5ft 11 (a large frame though i admit) and I'm aiming for 168lbs goal.. which is 12lbs over your current weight.

So, I'd say you should not be looking to reduce calories but be on your ideal maintenance level which MOP will work out for you.

But you say you jiggle.. and yes, thin doesn't always equal healthy. You should def be in mainteance calories don't reduce your calories or work them off on the gym (eat them back!)
    But maybe what you should be concentating on then instead is

a) what makes up your maintenace weight - is it good food? Or all rubbish food?
    and
    b)doing toning exercises like pilates, yoga, callanetics etc,
  • kmturtle3
    kmturtle3 Posts: 556
    Options
    Not a ton to say that hasn't already been said, but you definitely should not be losing more weight. You need to tone. Weight training should be your primary goal. And please, please, please, eat enough calories to sustain your body. Forcing your metabolism into starvation mode isn't going to do you any good. This is about being healthy.