going vegetarian

Options
I and thinking about going vegetarian for 2 weeks.. what are the pros and cons?

Replies

• marshmallowmind
    marshmallowmind Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for over 2 years & the only downsides I've found is my hair/nails seems weaker. This is my own fault as I don't eat enough fruit/veg but if you're a lover of both of those, you should do fine. The cravings are really bad, I love meat, the taste, just not the 'murdering' part. So I still crave meat like hell but I just think of how we get it & they fly away.
    Other than that, it's been so good for me. :)
  • jillerin457
    Options
    PROS: you may lose weight slightly faster, and if you make good choices, it can be healthy
    CONS: it will be much harder to get enough protein and especially iron (not impossible, but challenging)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Your body needs protein. This is the building block of all the cells in your body, especially your muscles. If you work out, especially strength training, it is important to consume protein to help your muscles heal and rebuild.

You can get protein sources with a vegitarian diet, so do your research before you jump in.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for over 2 years & the only downsides I've found is my hair/nails seems weaker. This is my own fault as I don't eat enough fruit/veg but if you're a lover of both of those, you should do fine. The cravings are really bad, I love meat, the taste, just not the 'murdering' part. So I still crave meat like hell but I just think of how we get it & they fly away.

I have been vegetarian since I was 6- I take Biosil (you can google it) and it is AMAZING for my nails/skin/hair!!!
  • ybroussard
    ybroussard Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Take multi vitamins if your going to do it...my friends have the same problem with their hair thining and nails breaking all the time.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    well, I think its a great idea, because its more like people ate before all this preservative crap. I mean we just ate off the land. I did this a few years back and tried it for about a month and I did gain weight because I was overcompensating with pasta and the starches. However, I think if you are prepared you can succeed. Good luck. Oh and look up Indian dishes they have a lot of vegetarian dishes and with soooo much flavor.
  • embym
    embym Posts: 65
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 8 years, and I've found it to be pretty easy. I eat fish as well though, because I feel the health benefits outweigh the costs.

Pros:
    - You don't have to worry about terrible food-borne illnesses like mad cow disease
    - Definitely way healthier if you aren't eating red meat in particular
    - You feel better
    - More fiber in your diet
    - You don't miss meat after the first few months
    - You get to try a lot of new foods but you can still have your favorites by substituting with fake meat (and thus making them healthier)
    - You are helping to keep the earth green by adopting a more sustainable lifestyle
    - You don't feel guilty when you go to a petting zoo lol
    - I've recently been tracking my iron and I'm almost always either right where I should be or over, so don't worry about that

Cons
    - You start eating more carbs
    - Going out to eat can sometimes be a problem (I've found that this has been less and less of a problem as more places are vegetarian-friendly. Also if you eat fish there's always something for you)
    - Holidays can be annoying when older relatives don't understand
    - When you first start off you'll have to work hard to find a way to get proper nutrition.

Bottom line: yes, you should do it. Just pay attention to your protein and iron and you'll be just fine. :)
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Con: no bacon
    Con: no beef
    Con: no chicken
    Con: no pork
    Con: eating tofu :noway:

In all seriousness, though, as long as you're getting enough protein and iron in your diet from other sources, it's probably healthy enough.
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 7 years tomorrow. I absolutely love it. I don't miss meat. It is not hard to get enough protein on a vegetarian diet. I eat a lot of beans, nuts, seeds, eggs, and cheese. I do occasionally eat fish because I love it, so I am not strict. I encourage anyone to give it a try. People assume that vegetarians don't get enough protein and that is really not the case. Unless you are only eating french fries, you should do fine. There are lots of great websites about how to do it! Just google it and you will have a wealth of information.

Good luck!
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Been one for 2.5 years. I only have 3 CONs:
    1.iron deficencey anemia, so now I take a lot of supplements
    2. people always want to talk about how dumb it is I don't eat meat. That gets old quick. It is just my personal choice to not eat it. 3. Make sure you are not becoming a junkatarian, replace meat with proteins and healthy food, not crap filled with usless calories and carbs that are meat free

Hope this helps :)
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    I did the same, I didn't eat meat for quite some months..I think I more so did it because I knew it would force me to find new ways to use veggies....and it worked! It also helped my weight loss ALOT. I have a new found love for veggies-I have always loved them but always thought I had to have meat at every meal.
    I have mostly forgotten all about meat now....I only eat meat maybe once every few weeks or so or if I get a craving for something specific.
  • lnoso
    lnoso Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My daughters were vegetarian for about 10 years. The two things the doctor encouraged was to ensure they took a sublingual B12 supplement and that they got "complete" protein. Quinoa is the one source of complete protein. Otherwise, I needed to mix several sources together (beans, corn, rice). It has been awhile so you would need to google what makes up complete protein. My "girls" are grown now and rather carnivorous. But they were completely healthy, slender, active, etc. while being vegetarians. Hmm, the first cook book I got demonstrated how unhealthly one could be and still be a vegetarian - lots of cream and butter.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I usually "go vegetarian" a couple of days out of the week, just because I feel like it. I tend to listen to what my body wants.

Pros: awesome if you enjoy fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, potatoes, yams, salads, etc. It can feel cleansing too.

Cons: watch out that you don't get sucked into eating too many carbs just because they "aren't meat" and be sure to keep an eye on protein and calcium levels.

Good idea to take supplements - especially might want to take biotin for hair/nail health if your food choices don't provide enough of it.
  • classiccbbeauty
    Options
    Thanks ladies I am doing some research on it .. and am considering for a while and I have found books that show me other things I can eat to get the protein and iron.....:flowerforyou: thanks !!! iI will keep u posted !!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

There are are many alternative meats available, and if you are eating calcium rich vegetable,and taking a good multi that should not be a problem.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Been one for 2.5 years. I only have 3 CONs:
    1.iron deficencey anemia, so now I take a lot of supplements
    2. people always want to talk about how dumb it is I don't eat meat. That gets old quick. It is just my personal choice to not eat it. 3. Make sure you are not becoming a junkatarian, replace meat with proteins and healthy food, not crap filled with usless calories and carbs that are meat free

Hope this helps :)

There are a lot of iron rich veggies, besides taking a good multi. Or you could introduce a good soy protein shake that contains a good amount of iron. Just a thought. You should not be becoming deficient.
  • classiccbbeauty
    Options
    I cant do the soy protein shakes I tried one today and my body cant take the soy I throw it right back up so I am done with that
  • ana70
    ana70 Posts: 93
    Options
    There are whey shakes and it is not too expensive. Good for you, I am just starting my vegetarian diet for life though. I feel great.
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    My husband is third generation vegetarian while I am on and off. Try a multivitamin until you have your meals planned out. My son is on a multivitamin from his pediatrician so you may want to check with your doctor as well concerning your specific health needs. Nature's Promise soymilk has tons of vitamin B12 which will keep your hair and nails in healthy and is hard to get without meat. Some of the almond and rice milks have it too since you seem to have a problem with soy. I make smoothies in my Vitamix to fit in the spinach and veggies to keep anemia at bay. Normally three smoothies a week is enough to keep my iron levels up.

Don't be a "meatless" vegetarian, be a vegetarian that actually eats fruits, vegetables and whole grains and you will be fine. You can have a unhealthy diet as a vegetarian so look up the vegetarian food pyramid and start there. Nuts, legumes, leafy greens and dried fruit all have their own parts in the diet. A few cookbooks can also help. My family visits us every few months and it took years for them to notice that I didn't serve anything with meat in it during their visits! Maybe you can start with being a vegetarian for a few days at a time until you feel comfortable making the switch. Good luck!