Best Cheats!

Options
In response to the "OMG there are SO MANY calories in...." form -- I want to know... What is your best cheat for going out to eat? Or replacement for something you're craving?

My favorites:

Chipotle -- I can get a bowl with rice, black beans, fajita vegetables, and barbacoa; add the pico de gallo and LOTS of lettuce; SO good, so filling, pretty cheap, and easy. In total, it's 470 Calories, and usually, I can't finish it and will have it for dinner and lunch the next day. Skipping the dairy and the tortilla makes it so much less!

When friends want to go out, I try to get them to go to Thai. I can get a Tom Yum soup, with chicken or Shrimp, and a side of steamed veggies, which I mix in. It's only about 300 calories and I still get to enjoy yummy thai flavors and a nice night with friends.

I LOVE Brie -- I could eat a whole wheel and not think twice. Its yummy and fatty! I missed it terribly when I started dieting -- so I just found President Brie Spread -- now, this isn't an every day thing, but when I really miss brie and fell like "Why am I even bothering with this being healthy thing?" I reach for this! 1 tbls is 40 Calories. I spread that over two Wasa lite rye crisps, and I kill that brie craving and have a fiber filled 100 calorie snack!

Replies

• beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    I just got an AMAZING receipe for Chia seed pudding. It's so healthy for you - I will share when I get home!
  • Dustybenbear
    Options
    @beqy12 Can't wait to read it!
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting with soup since I started this diet. A little spicy something (sauce, pepper) goes a long way to slowing me down as I eat, which helps me feel fuller and also be more aware of when I get full. Rolled oats mixed in with the soup works great! It thickens the soup kind of like cornstarch but adds much better nutrients and fiber. I add 1/4 cup of dry rolled oats to two servings of soup, but you can adjust to see what you like. If you want to get more texture, steelcut oats work too but need to be cooked longer.

I love that these small additions to soups make them much more filling so I can have say a half portion of something rich (broccoli cheese soup! cream of potato with bacon!) and add the oats plus water to make up the rest of the volume. It tastes just as good to me and I know I'm getting good stuff from the oats!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love cheesecake but it is about 400 calories (or more) per slice. So I have found a way to have it for less than 200 calories per slice.

You take 6 oz plain non fat greek yogurt (I use Athenos at 110 cal per 6 oz) and 2 tsp cheesecake fat free, sugar free instant jello pudding mix (5 cal). Mix the two together and put on top of one sheet of graham cracker (I use honeymaid at 65 calories per sheet). Your total??? 180 calories for a piece of "skinny" cheesecake! Sometimes I don't even use all the yogurt/pudding mix so it's even less calories. And you can always add a few sliced strawberries on top for very few extra calories.
  • Dustybenbear
    Options
    @Menchi --

That is the best idea! It makes so much sense! Thanks for the suggestion.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love cheesecake but it is about 400 calories (or more) per slice. So I have found a way to have it for less than 200 calories per slice.

You take 6 oz plain non fat greek yogurt (I use Athenos at 110 cal per 6 oz) and 2 tsp cheesecake fat free, sugar free instant jello pudding mix (5 cal). Mix the two together and put on top of one sheet of graham cracker (I use honeymaid at 65 calories per sheet). Your total??? 180 calories for a piece of "skinny" cheesecake! Sometimes I don't even use all the yogurt/pudding mix so it's even less calories. And you can always add a few sliced strawberries on top for very few extra calories.
    this is the freaking best snack ever, regardless of its 'diet' status. real cheesecake is too rich for me but its so good this fakey way :)