Exercise On The Road

So my job has me traveling a good bit, and I try to take advantage of hotels with gyms while on the road. Currently, I (and my wife) are in the Netherlands until Thanksgiving. We are living in an apartment here in Eindhoven, so no gym / exercise room. When we were in the States, most of my exercise included cutting the grass, and going to the gym - neither of which I can do over here. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for exercise. Pushups and jogging are options I've taken advantage of, and we travel on the weekends - usually walking a good 5-6 miles, depending on where we travel (Oktoberfest in Munich 2 weekends ago, Brussels this past weekend). Yesterday we went snowboarding. This has to be my FAVORITE form of exercise. Also the most expensive.

Everything is in so small portions over here, and I realize why everyone over here is so thin, and obesity is such a problem in the United States. For lunch I eat at the cafeteria - usually a cheese sandwich, soup, and milk - a TINY lunch in the States. My wife and I are both learning how to control our eating habits, and we are adjusting nicely. Everyone lives in apartments / condos / townhouses, so everyone walks or bikes, since they are so close to the center of the city. Most of the 200,000 city residents live within a 1.5mile radius of the center of the city. You don't have the luxury of your own yard and own building like in the US, but I guess there are pros and cons to both.

Enough rambling. I was just interested in some home workout tips to keep my metabolism up and in good shape while I'm over here.

Thanks
Ryan

Replies

• So my job has me traveling a good bit, and I try to take advantage of hotels with gyms while on the road. Currently, I (and my wife) are in the Netherlands until Thanksgiving. We are living in an apartment here in Eindhoven, so no gym / exercise room. When we were in the States, most of my exercise included cutting the grass, and going to the gym - neither of which I can do over here. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for exercise. Pushups and jogging are options I've taken advantage of, and we travel on the weekends - usually walking a good 5-6 miles, depending on where we travel (Oktoberfest in Munich 2 weekends ago, Brussels this past weekend). Yesterday we went snowboarding. This has to be my FAVORITE form of exercise. Also the most expensive.

Everything is in so small portions over here, and I realize why everyone over here is so thin, and obesity is such a problem in the United States. For lunch I eat at the cafeteria - usually a cheese sandwich, soup, and milk - a TINY lunch in the States. My wife and I are both learning how to control our eating habits, and we are adjusting nicely. Everyone lives in apartments / condos / townhouses, so everyone walks or bikes, since they are so close to the center of the city. Most of the 200,000 city residents live within a 1.5mile radius of the center of the city. You don't have the luxury of your own yard and own building like in the US, but I guess there are pros and cons to both.

Enough rambling. I was just interested in some home workout tips to keep my metabolism up and in good shape while I'm over here.

Thanks
    Ryan
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Jumping rope. Hard at first to do for long but let me tell you--it gets your heart rate going!
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    what i want to know is what your job is !!!!

ho and.... i know in europe there often is a community center that has a gym, you can pay as you go or get subscription by the month... they normaly are pretty inexpensive and quite nice (im a member of one)

but men i wish i had a job like yours ..... sigh .....

lol may