Treadmill Help!

Options
I have a lovely treadmill at home that is strategically placed in front of the TV, and there are lovely treadmills at the gym.
My problem is I LOVE running outside. Because i'm in Canada, it's FREEZING outside, so i'm stuck with the treadmills.
I HATE running on treadmills. For everyone that do it regularly, how do you get through it?
I will take any suggestions, hints and tips. Not to mention, i'll love you forever if you have an idea that works!

Thanks everyone! You're all doing AMAZING!
Nikki

Replies

• KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    i listen to my mp3 player and focus on the music. before i know it my time is up! good luck to ya!
  • kuarta
    kuarta Posts: 65
    Options
    Have you tried listening to in ipod while on the treadmill? That works for me. Hope that helps.

I LOVE Canada!!! I come from the Land Down Under. :smile:
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    do u listen to music while on the treadmill? I have my ipod on pretty loud- also there is a TV going in the background, then I focus on the music more and my breathing as well and try not to look at the clock ticking. Also set treadmill to certain programs like aerobic or 5k or cross country and try to beat your previous times. Hope it helps:)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My 3 cents:
    Headphones. I absolutely, positively need to have music going in order to run. Usually trance music. Another thing is to try some programs that have speed and incline changes. For me that keeps things more fun and less monotonous. Finally, you might consider doing HIIT. HIIT routines are typically short (around 20 minutes), so you can "get it over with" quicker.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I would switch to an elliptical! LOL
  • jennygib
    jennygib Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I listen to my ipod and pray for it to end quickly...lol. I don't enjoy running on the treadmill either, I just try to get through it. For me, interval training is the easiest way to get through it. It breaks it up and they say its a better workout :)
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    music and think of the fat melting off lol ...
  • chasing_130
    chasing_130 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I switch it up by watching a tv program or movie that I like. If I get bored of that, I listen to my iPod.

I also found that interval walking/jogging helps me. I do one speed for 3 minutes, then up it to a higher speed for 3 more minutes, and so forth. Then I start over at the beginning speed when I can't go higher. When I break the time down to 3 minute increments, it helps me not to focus on the big picture for how long I'm actually going to be on there. Idk. It works for me lol
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Music, like many others posted, and I cover the screen so I don't stare at the numbers (speed, distance, etc.)
  • mygirlash1
    mygirlash1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My first post!!!! I agree with you 100%. I go to the gym so, I feel your pain. This is not an option for me, but my friend moved her treadmill facing the window. She said it helped her to be able to look outside. Might be worth trying it.
  • baghdaddymama
    Options
    I listen to motivational music on my IPOD. However, depending on where you are and how cold it is right now (which I know its freezing up there right now in a lot of parts) Once it gets to just "cold" weather, It actually is better to run in the cold. Its better for your body, and after you get done you are actually stripping off layers outside. My dad and I used to run in the snow, and I just read an article about how its better anyway. Circulation, breathing, etc...good luck to you! :)
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm wierd, I know.......I love running on the treadmil - I don't really like to run outside. I put on the t.v. and crank the dance tunes - and get lost in my own head.

I agree that intervals really make the time go by fast too.
  • hoover17700
    hoover17700 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I watch TV. While on the treadmill, I mix it up a bit. I do interval training with speed and incline. I find that if I have something to do every minute or so it makes time go by faster. I try to change it up everyday because honesty everyday maybe s struggle. I found a wonderful interval training program in the Oxygen Magazine that I used for about two weeks before I got bored with it.

Good Luck,
    T
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Music helps me outside, but I need the tv going if I'm on the treadmill. I do best while watching Ellen. It's great for people with short attention spans like me. Something new every segment!