Zucchini ideas

Options
I have a surplus of zucchini and would love some new ideas on how to prepare them. My usual is sliced zucchini simmered in a can of diced tomatoes. The tomato thickens so nicely and its such a great side dish. But I would love some other ideas please.

Thank you!!

Replies

• sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    you can grate it and make zucchini chocolate cake (google it)
    or grate it and put it in just about anything, actually. nice in pasta salad, too.
    and i like to put it (grated again, lol) in quiche/omelette/frittata
  • Mandakat17
    Mandakat17 Posts: 105
    Options
    I slice them thinly...put some seasonings on them and bake them in the oven until they get a little cripsy. Kinda like zucchini chips.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Here is how I've always done my zucchini.
    Slice it up in strips or half moons. Make a foil pouch and spray the inside with Pam. I almost never use salt but this is one of those times I do use some. Season it with ANY other seasoning(you can't go wrong really). I cook it on the grill at like a meduim heat for 10-20 mins it really depends on the size of you pieces and heat of the grill.

I'm thinking the way I make asparagus would work to. Line a baking pan with foil and season the cut zucchini and bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes.

Edit:
    Zucchini Bread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    slice them into 1/2 inch thick half moons, and do the same with yellow squash. Cut purple onion into wedges, and red peppers into 2 inch squares.

Alternating each vegetable, thread them on to skewers. Spray each skewer with PAM, then dust with pepper, parsley, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Bake or grill for about 3 minutes per side.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    bake it of course, throw some parm cheese on it, make zucchini boats, they are so low in calories, chop it into some salad of some pesto fussilli(noodles) is what i also do
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I add them to my stir-fry. I also had some extra so I added them to some egg rolls I made. My mom makes hers with olive oil, garlic and onions. Your tomato recipe sounds yummy!
  • malissaperkins
    Options
    If they're larger, i scoop the seeds out and make stuffed zuchini!! brown rice, ground turkey, low fat cheese, tomato, onion ohhhh soooo good!!!! Can't wait to have some this summer!!
  • Scott_R
    Scott_R Posts: 20
    Options
    Try slicing then into 1/4 inch thick slices, if you want do the same to summer or yellow squash slice any kinds of mushrooms you like add a couple of tablespoons of chopped garlic and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil put in a covered frying pan when the squash is almost done take the cover off to evaporate some of the liquid and it makes an awesome side dish !
  • OmelissaO
    OmelissaO Posts: 42
    Options
    I slice mine up, toss in olive oil, sprinkle with veggie seasoning and either steam or grill. My kids even love this!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    eat it raw! These are one of my favourites veggies to eat raw. I also grate it and add it to almost anything. It can go it spaghetti sauce, stir fry, cakes, soups, ect. I also love it roasted and making zucchini boats. When you grate it, you can freeze it also. Put it in a ziploc bag, remove all air, and seal. It's good in the freezer for quite a few months. Enjoy!
  • sctracy
    sctracy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I shred a zucchini and add it to a turkey meatloaf -- it keeps it really moist and it tastes delicious! I do this with turkey burgers, as well. Also: a GREAT site for recipes is Skinnytaste.com. You can search by ingredient and there is a picture of each recipe, along with the nutritional info. She has some great zucchini recipes on there!
  • orangejellybean
    orangejellybean Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a HEAP of them to at the moment and have cooked a couple of Zucchini Slices/ Quiches and also made a batch of Zucchini & Basil Soup. And i also have been using it as my vegetable with meat for lunch.
    I got the Slice/ Quiche recipie from my Mum but also found it on a website called Taste.com - which is also where i found the soup recipe.
    Just type in Zucchini and it will bring up a heap of recipes and most of them also have the nutritional information so you can put them in here, or just create a recipe on here and it will tell you calories etc.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i make stuffed zucchini.
    scoop out the insides, and saute that up with mushrooms, onions, garlic, spinach, and whatever else really your heart desires.
    put the stuffing back into the zucchini, then cover with mozz cheese and bake in the oven :)
    YUM!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I put them in my omlette in the morning.
  • bluemartini6
    Options
    love zucchini

dice zucchini and onions (add yellow squash if you have it), and saute it in a skillet for a few minutes with a flavored olive oil. add a sprinkle of salt/pepper to taste (if desired, but i recommend a dash of salt). i usually but the onions in first as they take longer than zucchini to cook. i've done it with lemon olive oil and basil - awesome and quick

oven bake thinly sliced zucchini with extra virgin olive oil and seasoning salt - i usually flip over at 1/2 mark, timing depends on how many you do - 15-20 total for a decent portion.

here's a recipe for zucchini crab cakes (no crab so vegetarian friendly - a bit of work but so good - we ate them as we made them)
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/connies-zucchini-crab-cakes/Detail.aspx

and as simple as it sounds, i recently figured out zucchini is really great raw in a salad or in a wrap - low cal too
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    sorry I dont have a recipe for it,but Im sure you could google it.Me and my mom made an awesome spicy zucchini salsa a few years back,it was awesome!