Is Truvia really natural???

Options
I've just started reading the Eat Clean Diet and am wondering if Truvia is really a natural sweetner. It says that it is on the package but I don't see how it could be calorie free then.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Truvia, as far as I know is Stevia. Google that to find out more.
  • ezreka
    ezreka Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    IDK, but I have been wondering the same thing!
  • BirdsofaFeather
    BirdsofaFeather Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's from a leaf called Stevia. It is natural, 100%. I've been using it for years...a little goes a long way!
  • tiffanyheese
    tiffanyheese Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No, it comes from a plant molecule like all sweeteners but then is synthesized in a lab to make it sweet and mass produced. It's been around for awhile, but they just revamped their advertising. It's nothing special. Just another artificial sweetener.
  • BirdsofaFeather
    Options
    Very untrue. It's extracted and that is all. Maybe you are thinking of Splenda. Stevia is a natural non-calorie leaf!
  • Ironbear
    Ironbear Posts: 15
    Options
    Its not artificial...Since it is derived from a plant extract. THe advantage to Stevia or Truvia etc is that unlike sugar it doesn't increases insulin production. So, loosing fat around the abdominal area isn't as hard. Well, at least eliminates one road block.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    No, it comes from a plant molecule like all sweeteners but then is synthesized in a lab to make it sweet and mass produced. It's been around for awhile, but they just revamped their advertising. It's nothing special. Just another artificial sweetener.

I can't speak for Truvia, but they don't synthesize anything in Stevia. They extract it which is quite a different thing. You can use straight dried stevia leaves ground up and they are just a sweet, but most people don't like putting greenish powder in their tea. Is it processed, yes. Is it synthesized, no. Of course Truvia could be, but Stevia is not.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I agree that unless you are squeezing it from the plant yourself it is not 'natural'. Many manufacturers like to slap buzz words like 'natural' on their packaging. Just be aware that not all 'natural' products are good for you. There is very little data on this product yet due to it being fairly new.
  • JimHeid
    JimHeid Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like the "stevia in the raw" product more than truvia. They say that its been used in Japan for decades with no problem. I choose to think of it as natural: You can grow the stevia plant and then stir the leaves in your drink... but I'm going to buy the product in a package-its easier!
  • BirdsofaFeather
    Options

I agree that unless you are squeezing it from the plant yourself it is not 'natural'. Many manufacturers like to slap buzz words like 'natural' on their packaging. Just be aware that not all 'natural' products are good for you. There is very little data on this product yet due to it being fairly new.
    Maple syrup is natural but you're not squeezing it from the tree.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    In a word, no. The FDA will not allow pure stevia to be used in the USA as a food additive, it has to be processed and contains only part of the natural plant extracts and many fillers. They are currently trying to get a much more concentrated form of stevia allowed for use in diet soda products. Truvia is made by Coke and Pure Via is made by Pepsi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

Read this link people. Truvia and Purevia ARE NOT Stevia. They are manufactured artificial sweeteners made from parts of a genetically modified Stevia plant, and highly refined using toxic chemicals like acetone, ethanol, among others.

READ THE ARTICLE.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

Yes, if it's REAL maple syrup it's natural. But Truvia is to Stevia what Mrs. Butterworth is to maple syrup - totally FAKE.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I agree that unless you are squeezing it from the plant yourself it is not 'natural'.

By your standard, even regular sugar from beets or cane is not natural....
  • BirdsofaFeather
    Options
    I'm talking Stevia. I've been using Stevia for years. It can be found almost anywhere.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I've just started reading the Eat Clean Diet and am wondering if Truvia is really a natural sweetner. It says that it is on the package but I don't see how it could be calorie free then.

Truvia is not just stevia............

Truvia and PurVia are owned by Coca-Cola and Pepsi respectively...........These products are made from Genetically modified Stevia plants and are highly processed by the time it gets to the grocery store shelf.

If you want to use Stevia, purchase Sweet Leaf Stevia or another brand from a health food store, not a main stream grocery store or big box store such as wal-mart.

It's not pure stevia anymore-they altered the stevia to make rebiana. Also this is another product that's govt approval has been pushed rapidly through with no long term testing of course-look at the controversy and people getting ill from aspartame. Big corporate $$ in action-Cargill and Merisant are the producers of this product. What first brought it to my attention was an article in Crains Chicago Business on how there 2 corporations were racing each other to get this to consumer-1 company only gave their chemists 3 weeks to come up with a viable product. Then I started doing my own research-for me and it's JMHO this product has not had enough testing and was pushed into the marketplace wayyy too fast.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Actually, maple syrup that you buy at the grocery store is HIGHLY processed and is not natural. It usually has a lot of additives including flavoring and colors. So make sure you're actually reading the label. If the ONLY thing on the ingredient list is maple syrup, then it's natural. But if there's anything else on that label, it isn't.
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yep and it's amazing. I use the flavored liqiud stuff (that I find at Whole Foods) to make my own "soda." Just put it in sparkling water and it's amazing and works like a charm! It is kinda expensive ($12 or so), but it makes a ton of soda, and is actually cheaper. I like the grape and vanilla cream best!
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options

I love that buzz word..."All Natural"...so is arsenic and heroin. lol