I'm still confused too

Options
Ok my daily goal is 1300 ( I lowered it from MFP's 1600)

my food is 1148

my excercise 559

my net is 589.

Am I supposed to try and eat 589 more calories. There is no way. Its 8pm and I am off to work!

What do I do??

Replies

• lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    The easy answer is YES you are suppose eat at least 1200 calories a day. Which requires you to eat back exercise calories if you're are under 1200. As far as what to do now? Well, I would call it a day and be under today and try to plan out your meals better tomorrow :o) GOOD LUCK!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It's the terminology. Net is different here than in most diet plans. You are looking for a net number equal to your goal. So, your goal is 1300. Your net is 589. You are supposed to eat 711 more calories. Just eat as much more of those as you can, or not, if you really aren't hungry, one day isn't going to destroy you.

Just remember "net" at the end of the day should be your goal number.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Why did you lower it? What did you set your loss at? Half a pound a week? A pound? Two?
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    The easy answer is YES you are suppose eat at least 1200 calories a day. Which requires you to eat back exercise calories if you're are under 1200. As far as what to do now? Well, I would call it a day and be under today and try to plan out your meals better tomorrow :o) GOOD LUCK!
    I agree...one day under calories isn't going to hurt you in the long run. Just try not to make a habit of it or you body will feel neglected and try to store more fat for future.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    well to eat them or not is up to you because you will find people here that belive eather way. now you should never go under 1200 cal if you do this often just up your cal to like 1300 to 1400 and make sure you eat them if you have a hard time eat more in the am you will have more time to burn them off.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Ok my daily goal is 1300 ( I lowered it from MFP's 1600)

my food is 1148

my excercise 559

my net is 589.

Am I supposed to try and eat 589 more calories. There is no way. Its 8pm and I am off to work!

What do I do??

Look at it this way: with a net of 589, your body is running on only 589 calories. That is nowhere near enough fuel for it. The occasional day like that won't be any big deal but if you make it a habit, not only will you not lose weight, you will risk potentially serious health hazards.

Your NET calories is your daily goal. At the end of the day - after exercise and after eating - you should NET 1300 calories. So, it you burn 500 calories working out, you need to have eaten 1800. It'll help you to plan throughout the day how much you are going to burn unless, of course, you work out in the morning. If you find yourself having trouble getting enough calories, nuts, peanut butter, avocado and milk are some healthy things you can add that are calorie dense.

If you are still having trouble understanding the exercise calorie debate, click the link in my signature. I've had a lot of people tell me that helped them a lot.

Regardless, you CANNOT go on with a NET of under 600 calories. That would a very bad and potentially dangerous idea. Good luck and please let me know if I can help you in any way.
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I set my goal at a pound a week.

I am eating healthy well balanced meals. I am not hungry and don't feel like I'm starving myself.

I just cant see eating another almost 600 calories.

This will probably continue to be a problem becuase I work out 5 days a week and don't see myself eating much more than I am.

Guess I'll have a few shots of vodka tonight at work. :wink:
  • marnieinMB
    Options
    Ok. I will bring a snack or two to work and I promise to eat them.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    This will probably continue to be a problem becuase I work out 5 days a week and don't see myself eating much more than I am.

I'm going to be blunt with you. You HAVE to find a way to eat more. You WILL NOT lose weight this way. Your body WILL rebel against you. You need to have a NET 1300 calories.

Put some peanut butter on your waffles in the morning. Snack on a serving of almonds in the late morning/early afternoon. Add a whole grain wheat roll to your lunch. There are a lot of ways to add calories that you'll barely even notice.
  • tresha040876
    tresha040876 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I am correct in understanding that you work nights. You can't expect to eat a full day of calories in a few hours that you got up before work. When I work nights and trying to keep track online I do either of two ways.

1. I would start my afternoons when I wake just like a "normal" day worker. Then end tracking before going to bed all on the same day (even though it's the technically the next day).

or

2. I would start my afternoons when I wake just like a "normal" day worker. Then if I eat lunch the next day at midnight , I start tracking the next day. So one day of tacking online is half track, sleep, half track.
  • marnieinMB
    Options
    If I am correct in understanding that you work nights. You can't expect to eat a full day of calories in a few hours that you got up before work. When I work nights and trying to keep track online I do either of two ways.

1. I would start my afternoons when I wake just like a "normal" day worker. Then end tracking before going to bed all on the same day (even though it's the technically the next day).

or

2. I would start my afternoons when I wake just like a "normal" day worker. Then if I eat lunch the next day at midnight , I start tracking the next day. So one day of tacking online is half track, sleep, half track.