eliptical question

Options
I have my own eliptical and you can either do program 1 , program 2, or you can go for as long as you want and change the resistance yourself.

I did program 1 at the end of the 20 minute work out it said I burned 284.2 calories.
When i went to log it on here the site says 20 minutes I only burned 208.

Which one should I log in ?

Replies

• tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would do the lesser of the two...because if you wore a HM it would agree more with the lesser of the two. hope that makes sense.
  • Isa25
    Isa25 Posts: 46
    Options
    I would probably log the lower amount, just in case.

I actually don't trust many of the calorie numbers on machines or on the website... I use a HRM to monitor calories burned to get more accurate results. I've found that both machines AND the website WAY overestimate calories burned, at least for me! Maybe look into a (cleaper) HRM? Decent ones go for as low at $50-$75 and they are a GREAT way to closely monitor calories burned accurately. :happy:
  • nikkigiesige
    Options
    I always use the calories it says on the machines...sometimes it will be more and sometimes it will be less so I adjust the time on MFP. The machines calculate better because of elevation and levels. Atleast thats what I do
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Did you put in your age and weight into the machine? That will make a difference.
  • tlwatson
    tlwatson Posts: 9
    Options
    I would go lower also. I dont think either one is 100% accurate. Also if its lower you work out harder to burn the extra calories
  • Tuplatano
    Tuplatano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I i were you I would probably Log the lowest one just to make sure. Machines are not very accurate. When I work out at home on my Eliptical I always deducts 20 % of the calories amount that it said that i burned. Example at home I normally do 30 minutes and my machines show that I burned 600 Calories. I know that amount can't be right so I always deduct 20% of that amount and log in the difference. Now when work out at the GYM I dont take anything off because thoses machines are a bit more accurate than the one i have at home. The only way to know for sure is with a HRM. Talking on that subject i probably should buy new battery for my HRM.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    definitely the lower one. I use my home elliptical everyday. It's kind of old--about 6-7 years--so maybe the newer machines have become better at estimating, but mine overestimates by close to 50%.

My HRM tells me I typically burn around 200-210 calories in 30 minutes. If I do a really high intensity program I can do that in 20 minutes but I really, really, need to work hard. Everyone is different of course, but until you get an HRM, I'm thinking it's best to be on the lower side.
  • Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    Options
    I would go lower also. I dont think either one is 100% accurate. Also if its lower you work out harder to burn the extra calories

I will agree with you on that! I would work harder anyways :)

Thanks everyone! Makes more sense to log the lower one and soon I would like to buy a HRM :)