Protein for a vegetarian (pescetarian)? Please help!

Options
I just became a Vegetarian a few months ago, and I was recently told by my boss (who is a personal trainer) that if I want to build lean muscle I really need to TRIPLE my protein intake!

And seeing as I don't eat meat-- this could be a challenge. I'm not too into protein powder since I really like to eat natural and organic products. But I do eat fish, and I drink milk/eat dairy products.

What should I do? Please help!

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Fish is super high in protein. It rivals meat. Tuna fish is especially good. You can have a tuna fish sandwich on two pieces of whole wheat bread with two slices of cheese which will give you about 40g of protein.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Look at my diary for today - I didn't eat meat due to Ash Wed (although there are other days I don't eat meat too) I had over 120 grams of protein today
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'm a veg as well, I take in a LOT of protein, you're welcome to check my diary for ideas!
  • Barbeliza
    Barbeliza Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well, if you eat fish, you are not a vegetarian! :happy: But the animals and I are very happy you are just eating fish! The fish - not so much.
    You can get high quality protein from eggs, legumes, cheese, nuts, soy products, etc.
    I eat a fully vegetarian diet, and have no problem making my daily protein quota, and have to watch it not to go over.
    There is plenty to read on vegetarianism online. PETA actually has a very good guide that they will send to you.
    People who are not educated about vegetarianism will try and tell you that you have to eat meat to get good protein, but it's not true.
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian also..

Greek yogurt- 14 grs
    Tofu
    BEANS, lots of beans!
    Smoothies with greek yogurt in them
  • TeriTee
    TeriTee Posts: 38
    Options
    As a pescetarian who doesn't eat fish that often, I usually get mine from beans, cheese, soy, pasta/grains, and pizza (checked my food diary). I tend to be a little low unless I actually aim for it.
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm also a vegetarian and I turn to beans a lot of the time for my protein. :flowerforyou:
  • jacolyncoker123
    Options
    Well, if you eat fish, you are not a vegetarian! :happy: But the animals and I are very happy you are just eating fish! The fish - not so much.
    You can get high quality protein from eggs, legumes, cheese, nuts, soy products, etc.
    I eat a fully vegetarian diet, and have no problem making my daily protein quota, and have to watch it not to go over.
    There is plenty to read on vegetarianism online. PETA actually has a very good guide that they will send to you.
    People who are not educated about vegetarianism will try and tell you that you have to eat meat to get good protein, but it's not true.

A pescetarian is a form of Vegetarian who eats fish, so Yes I AM a vegetarian...
    PETA is a group I'd much rather not get involved with, but thanks for the advice.
  • Drifster
    Drifster Posts: 3
    Options
    Not all protein powders are created equal.. Kaizen - 100% Natural Whey Protein Powder is available in both vanilla and chocolate.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    Hi Jacolyn, I've been a vegetarian my whole life!! I can understand how hard it may seem being new to it after being a meat eater for ever. What are you doing currently for your protein intake? And what is your daily average?? I find that for a typical day I'll average about 35-45 grams. This is perfectly healthy and its easier on your kidneys than the perported 60-80 grams from the FDA pyramid guide. So for muscle gain I agree that you would need to increase it, but if your body is used to fewer portions of protein, you won't need to "up" it as much as a meat eater.

I eat Morning Star Farms soy patties (10g per serving) eat almonds in moderation (they're high calorie) and eat YOGURT! The Chobani Greek has a high protein to fat/carb ratio so its better than regular yogurt. Also, in the freezer section you can find Edamame (raw soy beans) which you can eat plain or make a stir fry with. Yum. Or they sell it dried for trail mix. Very good protein source. Be careful of using cheeses for protein as they are generally high calorie/fat. I find that goat cheese (soft Chevre) is lower calorie yet still delivers 5g per ounce!

Good luck!
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I can recommend Nutiva - Hemp Protein Powder--it's organic, vegetarian and much healthier than whey powder. I too am a vegetarian and this was recommended to me by a nutritionist. Also, Kefir (that's even better for you than yogurt). Before you start consuming more fish, I would suggest doing some research about the level of pollutants, heavy metals and all sorts of other undesirable things that fish can contain--some are better than others.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I just recently went pescetarian and have been eating quanoi and just discovered the bocca and morning star products. I also like to add black beans or beans of some sort to my salad. I just open a can and rinse them off. Eggs make a great protien start to the day. Also, cottage cheese, yoguart or dairy products also add protien. Hope this helps.
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I remember watching an oprah episode where the whole staff went Vegan for a week. I know they talked about protein being an issue but the "veganist" Kathy Freston gave alot of ideas of how to get protein in. She has a best seller book.

i know alot of the Boca and Kashi stuff is good and has protein. i had 1 spicy chicken patty made by Boca today and it had 11g of protein. I am not a vegaetarion. I know alot of beans are FULL of protein. And eggs are GREAT. And I love to eat Salmon
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Life long veg here...but I do use protein powder and it's vegan and it's not soy. It's called Vega and its wonderful....I too try to stick to natural and 'clean' eating but some products are worth it to not be compleatly clean.
  • chasing_130
    chasing_130 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes you would be a pescatarian, that's what I am too :)

I was a vegetarian for many years & decided to be a pescatarian instead a year ago. Fish has a ton of protein! I eat tuna almost daily. I also eat Morningstar Farms or Boca products which has a lot of protein. Varieties of nuts have it too.

Good luck.