Cheap meal ideas, Please.

Options
penny39
penny39 Posts: 266 Member
We want to have a cheaper grocery bill this week because our 8 year wedding anniversary is this weekend and we to have little extra left over so we can go do something. So I need some good ideas, I am also a type 2 diabetic.

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, steamed broccoli, and a roasted Yukon Gold potato.
  • Ironbear
    Ironbear Posts: 15
    Options
    If you like Salmon Trader Joe's (most anyway) carry 2 canjun seasoned fillets for roughly 10 bucks.
  • SuperStorm
    SuperStorm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You might check out Kraftfoods.com they have a section called budget meals, and in that section there is another section called 5 dinners 1 bag (or something like that), and within that, you can choose their "healthy living" bags
    I'm not sure about the diabetic issue, but they're pretty good, they're relatively healthy, and they're cheap :)
  • Tuplatano
    Tuplatano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Rice and Beans :)
    Tuna Fish, Stir Fry
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Rice and Beans :)
    Tuna Fish, Stir Fry

Ditto.
  • nicole00lynn
    Options
    anything shrimp! or i guess it depends where you are.. shrimps cheap here :)
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My fave cheap meals:
    bean burritos or breakfast burritos
    beans and rice
    hummus with chicken and vegetables
    homemade chili or soup
    curries
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Manwich, veggies on rice (or whatever is diabetic friendly starch), some veggies and egg noodles with cheese on it (add chicken if in the budget), tomato soup with grilled cheese, tacos, tuna and ? (i'd say ritz), breakfast for dinner (ie some eggs and toast or oatmeal)...
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Some links to excellent resources in this thread also

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/189542-3-dollar-meals
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Shrimp here is something I always want but never under about $5/lb, which is out of the question!
  • jeanaustin
    jeanaustin Posts: 101
    Options
    My boyfriend is a vegetarian and I have found that many of the veggie meals we make are quite cheap, which is a nice bonus! Here are some suggestions:

Oatmeal
    Scrambled egg, Morningstar Sausage and Whole wheat toast
    Hormel Vegetarian Chili with Brown Rice
    Firm (or baked) Tofu with (frozen) broccoli & cauliflower with couple tablespoons of house of tsang's stirfry sauce & brown rice
    Tortilla pizzas with spaghetti sauce & cheese & some veggie toppings
    (Giant container of) Spinach for salads with baby carrots and cherry tomatoes with newman's own light balsamic vinagrette
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    oh I wanna live wherever you are! Shrimp is really expensive where I live, and it never goes on sale either... :(