Bummed...don't read if you don't want to hear me whine!

Options
Feeling a little bummed after reading several success stories. I'm still on track, losing small amounts of weight, just takes so long. I've never successfully lost weight and kept it off and it feels very overwhelming to be starting the process all over again. And I saw my sweet sister today who is 5 months pregnant and still a size 2. I'm not mad at her, just frustrated that I didn't get the skinny gene like she did. My kid is 5 and I'm still carrying around baby weight!

MFP has been working great for me...I have lost 9 lbs which is no small feat. It just sucks that the only way to do it is to long every morsel of food I put in my mouth. I'm going to Disney World for my son's spring break and I had hoped to make a bit more progress before I go. At first I thought I might not log in for the week, but now I see I might undo everything if I don't. Hopefully a lot of walking will off set any bad eating I may do.

Not really sure of my main point, just looking for someone to listen (read). I guess I'm asking for a little pep talk...

Replies

• penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am not very good at pep talks but my understanding is the slower it comes off the longer you will keep it off. Good luck!
  • tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Aww 9lbs is a great weight loss!!! Don't be discouraged, I too hoped to be about 9lbs lighter than my current weight by spring break. Look at it this way, you might have cheated if you lost more before the break...now you and I are more likely to stay on the path of good eating since we have a little more drive!!! :bigsmile: It will come off!!!!
  • Shellndub
    Shellndub Posts: 72
    Options
    Keep it up!! Progress is progress. :0) Be vigilant. Your worth the effort!!
    Blessings
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I joined in January and I only lost 2 pounds. But I know that I am doing a ton of good by eating right and exercising...as long as you are pushing the scale in the right direction then it's all good. You're doing the right thing and you should be proud of yourself for your efforts! Slow and steady...
  • ezreka
    ezreka Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to drop 40 lbs., I thought I would never make it to my goal weight, yet here I am perfectly happy with the size I am now. People think I did it over night, don't I wish! Let me tell you that year actually went very quick and it does get easier over time and eventually you will want to log your food. I went on vacation over Christmas and was unable to log in for a few days and it was horrible :ohwell: You can do this and you will do this and you will love yourself for it and you will be proud of yourself!
  • mirimilne
    Options
    Slow is good, it means your body is able to transform without stress. In the long run, your body will be in much better shape losing weight slowly and replacing it with muscle. You are going to succeed and because you have taken your time and done it slowly, you will be less likely to regain the weight. Go you.
  • katieb99
    katieb99 Posts: 9
    Options
    I think you are do amazing! Don't be so hard on yourself, this is a long process and I think by now all of us are feeling the stress. It's getting closer to spring/summer and shorts weather and we aren't seeing the results we had hoped for in the colder months when we sat inside dreaming of wearing that bikini to the beach. Just keep your head up and your heart strong because soon you will reach your goals if you keep on trying! :)
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    don't get disheartened.

I had to delete some goals out of my signature on here because I didn't make them. I wanted to be down to 100kgs (220lbs) by tomorrow. I am only at 113kgs. a little disheartened and behind on my ultimate goal. I just have to come up with a new one to shake these 13kgs. I think after that I will be a bit happier with myself and my progress. But ultimately. I am the one doing it to myself. I am the one that can fix it.

Chin up. Soldier on. Any loss is a great loss!
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Librarygirl is right...it's not good if the weight comes off too fast. You're making lifestyle changes rather than crash dieting where you'll gain the weight back once you stop the diet.

I, too, get frustrated though at the fact that it seems I've been at this a while and still not down to my ideal weight. I had gained weight in 8th grade, but quickly got it off and stayed at a good weight throughout high school. I thought I wasn't doing many activities, but it turns out the little activity I got was enough to keep me at that weight. Once I graduated high school, I began gaining weight in college because I wasn't active anymore. It doesn't help that I have a desk job either. I get discouraged at the fact that I know what I can look like and I wish I still did look like that.

But, I'm done living in the past. Now I'm ready to try my hardest to get back to where I want to be. Don't give up! You will reach your goals!
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    MFP success stories are kinda like watching an episode of Baby Story . . . it looks like labor takes 30 minutes when actuall the whole process takes 36 hours for some of those folks. Same with the SUCESS STORIES part of the message boards . .. you see the transformation. You don't see the struggle of walking by the donuts on each trip to the grocery store. You don't see the early alarm clocks that go off to get exercise in before the family wakes up and needs you. You don't see the anticipation and occasional disappointment at weigh ins. You are just seeing the whole process up front, and it makes your travelling seem slow and unsucessful. I think your weight loss is great for the time you have been on here. Keep up the good work and sometime in the future you will have some fabulous pictures to show off as well.
  • erica2h
    erica2h Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hear you, my sister was always so skinny no matter what growing up.I always felt huge next to her petite self, now we have switched places, this has helped me be smaller now than when I was in highschool, I was always stuck at 135-140.Now I am at 127, trying to hit 120 by summer, just hang in there, it WILL come of!! :smile:
  • alexis92
    alexis92 Posts: 64
    Options
    I feel the same way. I've lost 9 lbs in 2 months and the slow progress is very frustrating! But I just keeping telling myself that a big chance is going to take time and at least I haven't gained back the weight I've lost. I had a goal to be in my normal BMI range by my spring break- which starts this Saturday. At my rate, I don't think I'll make it, but this deadline is making me work even harder on my diet and exercise. Keep going, because the harder you work, the more rewarding reaching your goals will be. Feel free to friend me if you'd like :)
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I should not loose more than a pound a week. He said that with a weight loss like that once you reach your goal wieght you would be able to maintain it. I have so much to loose he Told me it should take me 3 years to loose it all. Slow and steady win the race. I understand. I sometimes wish that I could close my eyes for a while and wake up to having all the weight going but .......... We can do this. One day at a time. one pound at a time and somedays one meal at a time. God Bless
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    Relax!!!
    Don't focus on the weight, or how long it is taking.
    Focus on the journey and where it is taking you.
    I have lost 6 lbs so far since January 2011. My body feels different, my clothes fit different and everyone seems to notice my addiction to eating healthier .
    I know I am not going to get their quickly, I don't want to, I want sustainable weight loss.. the kind that doesn't come back, because I as a person has changed, my choices have changed. I think that is what most of us want! I hope it is anyway.
    So don't be bummed, just think of all the cool people you have meet, all the lessons you have learned, all the fun you are having!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,711 Member
    Options
    I never had been successful at taking weight off and keeping it off either — not until I joined MFP, that is. It took me eight months to lose 25 pounds, and I was 49 when I did it. A year later, and I've not only kept it off, but I'm down another 5 pounds. I hope this encourages you to keep at it. I really didn't think I could do it either, but I did. You can too. And you're just a young thing! :smile:
  • ThaiKaren
    ThaiKaren Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My baby is 30 years old and I'm still trying to shift the baby weight. No to be serious if you lose slowly if will stay off. I have been dieting all my life and since I started calorie counting it has stayed off. I am more aware of making healthy choices, of course we are all only human and have blips along the way but look at if as a life style change and not a diet. Good luck :smile:
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I truly understand, but know that SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE! So just hang in there Sis and you will make it, you can do this and no one can stop you, but you. So okay now that I have atttended your pity party it's time to move forward. :happy: Tomorrow will be a brighter day and just feel comfort in knowing at least you have made the decision to something about your health:bigsmile: Oh and on a lighter note girl, my baby is 17 and I just lost that baby weight, 42 lbs and counting since last April LOL!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    when you travel its very hard to have access to the right foods. do your best in making the healthier choice and if you can pack non-perishable snacks so you dont end up so hungry that you choose the worst on the menu. it is about the long term. keep making good choices and it will all work out in the end. have fun on your trip!
  • ChristieDF
    ChristieDF Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Honey you are doing fine. We didn't get this way overnight and we surely won't lose it overnight. We will get there. My kids are 18,16 and 12 and I have baby fat and food fat but I am going put my faith in God and let Him carry me when I'm weak. The things I'm doing only he has helped me to do them. Keep your head up!! ; ))
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. 9 lbs is great, and the slower the better. It will stay off that way. The success stories you read on here takes a while to get there. It has taken me almost 6 months to get where I am, and you will be there too. Keep at it!! Stay strong. Don't give up.