Just wondering........

Options
Is there anyone else who doesn't exercise? I'm really bad getting exercise in and I'm not the best eater. However, I am always under my calorie goal and am still losing weight. Anyone else hate exercise?

Replies

• Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Hi, I intend to exercise but have only managed to once this week. I don't think you have to exercise to lose weight, you can just reduce your daily calorie intake to suit. I think they recommend exercise because it speeds up weight loss and also because it's good for you.
  • Tuplatano
    Tuplatano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise but I wake up at 5:30AM every morning to go to the GYM before work.
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    With my work schedule combined with the lack of energy, I really only have 'it' to work out when there is a project at hand. It does seem to work for me. I just have to find a way to kick up my energy back to what it used to be. . .
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    most of us here hate it that is how we got here but i have started to like it. the more i do it the more i like it. i have turned into a better person, huby, father, friend, boss... now since i have a place to take out some anger..
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I love exercise, but have recent back surgery, am pregnant, and just moved away from my gym about a month ago. I have definitely noticed a downfall on my progress since (not that i am trying to lose right now, but, I'd like to gain slower). You can lose weight just eating less, but you might end up being a "skinny fat" in the end and not that much healthier overall.

PS - I agree about learning to like it. Once it's in your routine you feel so off when you don't work out! You need to give it some time and find something you like. I used to do the treadmill and elipticals for about 45 mins 5-6 days a week but it was pretty boring. Then I switched to the cardio, weight, and zumba classes at my gym. Even though they were at 7 in the morning, I loved going to them more than the machines in the evening.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise too but I do it because you can be a fat skinny person (a skinny person with a higher percent body fat). I loved this response that a girl gave to another girls post asking the same question and she said "It is the difference between looking like this *she inserted a picture of a lady with really nice firm legs* or this *A skinny woman with A LOT of cellulite because while she was skinny, she wasn't burning off the excess fat*." It also strengthens your heart and wards off disease. Skinny people are at risk for heart problems too by not eating right and exercising at the same time!
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily enjoy working out but I hate being fat/ flabby so I do it as much as I can stand. It helps to find things that you don't mind to do. When it is nice out I take my dog for long walks, we are slowly adding in jogging and running. I also picked up EA Sports Active 2 for the PS3 and it helps me get in at least 30 min work outs almost 5 days a week.
  • TeriTee
    TeriTee Posts: 38
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a total slacker.
  • appleshells
    appleshells Posts: 165
    Options
    I hated it in the begining, but now it's a habit and I am addicted.
  • SuperStorm
    SuperStorm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am currently (and by that I mean THIS week) starting to exercise but the 31lbs that I have shed (yay!!) have been mostly exercise free.
    I am lazy, I am tired, and I am usually very stressed out and after work I just do not FEEL like working out. Also I am a TERRIBLE sleeper so I literally lay in bed until I'm five minutes late every morning so getting up early to exercise is completely out of the question.
    You are not alone :)
  • ecarr11799
    Options
    I actually like going to the gym, but with my husbands work schedule, taking care of my grandfather here and my 4 year old daughter, i pretty much dont have any way to get there. but at the very least i can do is count those calories and take walks, run around the yard with my daughter and do some yard work! that has to help do something until i can make it there! :happy:
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise much either. I do like to but I am bad about sticking to something that can bore me. I can't afford a gym and I have one exercise machine. I do plan to get the wii just dance so I can use it to exercise to at least I can do that and use my machine and walk with the kids. I just haven't motivated myself enough yet...maybe I will start putting pics of me on stuff...like the television or computer maybe even the couch..lol. I don't know anything that gets me going would be great.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I dislike exercising that is boring i.e. plain old running. I really enjoy exercise that requires me to do more than just some monotonous action for minutes on end.

I play basketball about 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Much more fun than the treadmill.
  • Boooie
    Boooie Posts: 110
    Options
    I lost alot of weight a few years back and i never exercised and lost every week, this time i am exercising and the weight loss is slower but i am starting to look a lot better this time because of the exercise :)
  • jmdale84
    jmdale84 Posts: 5
    Options
    I am not a big fan of conventional exercise. I enjoy things like hiking, bike rides, swimming and dancing. However between working full time, church activities and getting my Masters degree I don't have time for workouts right now. Also I know from experience that if I try to start working out and change my eating at the same time I will get sick of it and give up.

As an alternative I have started just doing small things, like parking further away at the store, walking around when I'm on the phone etc... Just small things that get me a little more active and moving than I was before. Once I lose some more weight and I'm not carrying around so much, and once I am really engrained in my calorie routine I will start working out but until then it's baby steps.

Obviously exercise is important because if we just lose the weight without it we will have the saggy skin etc... but in my opinion I say get the first thirty or so pounds off and then start working out. But like I said small steps at the offset will help.

Good luck!