I'm giving up diet pop for lent (maybe forever)...

bmj1985
bmj1985 Posts: 32
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I've decided to try giving up pop, I'm curious what else I could drink besides water. I'm trying to get rid of the artificial sweetners and caffeine. Any advise??

Replies

• I really like chamomile tea. Also, you could drink sparkling water and add a splash of 100% juice to it. Water with lemon or lime added to it is really good also.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    unsweetened iced tea? Perhaps with a splash of fruit juice until you get used to the unsweetened taste? I drink a ton of green tea it's supposed to be one those "super foods" and while green tea does have some caffeine, it's not nearly as much as coffee.
  • warrenp
    warrenp Posts: 2
    I gave up pop for Lent one year and never looked back. I drink a ton of water now, and I also drink lots of Green Tea...hot or iced. I use natural sweeteners. Good luck with it! Once you break the habit of the pop, you'll feel so much better!
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    i gave up artificial sweetners on the 16th of February...[see how i know the exact day lol!] and never thought it would last! i could easily drink 4-6 diet dr, peppers a day. i feel much better and will not go back. i wish you the best of luck....it is worth it. i am only drinking water with fresh lemon and lime squeezed in it.
  • I gave up soda all-together almost a year ago and although it was hard at first, now soda just taste sickeningly sweet to me. One sip and I run for water. I don't crave it at all. As for what to have as an alternative: Water, flavored waters, I do indulge in tea occasionally, fresh fruit juices, tomato juice, and lemonaid. Good luck and great decision!
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    I also gave up my Diet Coke for Lent. I feel better when I drink water and unsweetened iced tea. A friend to today mentioned La Croix, but I know nothing about it. My big concern is what I am going to mix my vodka with now. :huh:
  • bmj1985
    bmj1985 Posts: 32
    Thanks all!! I'm really going to try to kick this habit even after Lent! :-) Yahoo!
  • lacharp
    lacharp Posts: 66
    Me too! I've tried in the past but always seem to fall off the diet coke wagon... I'm hoping giving it up for Lent will help me kick the habit!

I do a lot of green tea (hot and iced) and other teas. I also like to take club soda and mix in stuff - like fresh lemon and ginger or fresh orange and vanilla extract - and sweeten it with either a little bit of honey or stevia. Helps replace the fizzy sweetness of soda!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    You can look into Nuun..Its an elctrolyte tab..Trader Joes sells a great Green/White Tea (pre made) and a Black Tea (pre made) with no caffeine..no calories..I also make Celestial deacf tea and water it down and make it cold in a pitcher.
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 702 Member
    First of all, good for you. You will probably find that you loose weight simply because you are not drinking Diet Soda anymore. I have read many studies that point to artifical sweatners as adding to cravings and hunger. I gave up soda (or pop for you michiganders) in October and yes, the first couple weeks are difficult, however I never and I mean never crave it now. The otherday I took a drink of my son's soda and thought I was going to puck, it tastes gross really nasty. I easily drink10 - 14 glasses of water a day because I cut out all artifical sweetners so I don't have any sugarfree drinks. I am telling you, you will do fine. I have given up soda for lent before but went right back to it after easter. This time is different because mainly I only drink, water, tea, coffee and milk and I am trying to change my ways and attitude about sweetners.

Good luck, you will do great, make sure you drink lots of ice water in it's place.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    crystal light has a bunch of differant flavor packets you can add to water. i found that a full packet of it in a 16.9 oz bottle of water is too sweet so i only add a half a packet. there is fruit juice. you have to look at the labels to see which one offers the least calories for your taste. half water/half fruit juice. they do have decaf green tea available in bottles. sobe has a low calorie version as well. milk is good too. it's supposed to do the body good. skim is ok with a little vanilla in it. i drink regulary diet soda only when i have a head ache. if i do crave a diet soda i generally get diet rite. it comes in differant flavors and has no calories, no caffine and no sodium but tastes good.
This discussion has been closed.