I got sick and gained weight!

Options
I came down with the flu on Monday and have put on 3 lbs! This is really frustrating because I worked so hard last week to lose weight, and now I'm almost back to square 1. I know I should've watched what I was eating better but I've been in bed sleeping and haven't really had the energy to read labels and count cals. I also still don't feel quite well enough to workout yet, but I am tempted to push myself just to burn off a few more calories. I feel so mad at myself!!!

Replies

• c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ok. unless you are eating like 5000 calories a day...you did NOT gain 3 pounds. of fat that is. you are most likely retaining water, being sick sometimes puts the body in the mode to retain...don't worry about it, get better, workout and the weight will be gone. probably overnight :)
  • sl0327
    sl0327 Posts: 14
    Options
    ok. unless you are eating like 5000 calories a day...you did NOT gain 3 pounds. of fat that is. you are most likely retaining water, being sick sometimes puts the body in the mode to retain...don't worry about it, get better, workout and the weight will be gone. probably overnight :)

This is very sound advice! Many people have weight fluctuations because of water, and illness and fevers can cause the body to do funny things in regards to water. Do not stress about it. The extra stress will cause more damage than the 3 lbs. Just increase your water intake over the next couple days, and DO NOT let this set you back.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The good news is that you prob. really didn't gain 3 lbs (it'll be water weight mainly), but of course, it doesn't feel good to know it's there. It will go away once you're able to get healthy again. Our bodies fluctuate a lot from day to day, and as women, even more so during that TOM. Add illness to the picture, and that messes with things even more. So hang in there and keep at it! We ALL have setbacks from time to time. Life gets in the way of your best dieting/exercise program sometimes!
  • TheWatchStander
    Options
    I came down with the flu on Monday and have put on 3 lbs! This is really frustrating because I worked so hard last week to lose weight, and now I'm almost back to square 1. I know I should've watched what I was eating better but I've been in bed sleeping and haven't really had the energy to read labels and count cals. I also still don't feel quite well enough to workout yet, but I am tempted to push myself just to burn off a few more calories. I feel so mad at myself!!!

It's also feasable for the body to fluctuate 3 pounds up and down during a day. You will be fine just pick it back up after your well and stay hydrated.
  • jennyjennbug
    Options
    with you there got the flu sunday weighed today and was 3lbs more still not back up to speed just guessing I am holding water because my hands and feet are swallon
  • NickyS6
    NickyS6 Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh I'm the same! I was freaking out because I checked the scale and almost cried cause it's like 'I'm sick AND gained weight!!' So I'm hoping it'll hop back down and I'll get better so I can get back to my diet and exercise :)
  • richnjen05
    Options
    i had the same problem i've been sick for 3 days and i've put 6lbs on! i'm sure it's water weight cause i'm drinking a ton but i'm still sick. It's not gonna stop me though gotta work through it!
  • EBBlue10
    EBBlue10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post!