Negativity

jeromy75
jeromy75 Posts: 112
edited September 24 in Motivation and Support
Do you have someone, or several someone's, who give you grief about getting healthier? This could consist of trying to convince you that you'll fail, or they try to sabotage you. How do you deal with it?

I have one person at work who constantly tries to bring me snacks. I've had to get firm about it finally.

Replies

• swiss31
    swiss31 Posts: 197 Member
    I called him fat. They turned around and joined this site! HAHAHA
    (we're close enough to be that honest, your results may vary)
  • Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
    I have one of those people that I work with. Glad to hear that you politely and firmly turned them down.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    I try to deal with it in a humourous way. For example, I will look at them deadpan and say "You aren't blind, right? You can see that I'm fat, can't you? How fat do you want me to get? Are you trying to fatten me up more so you can eat me or something?" etc.
  • alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    Don't give into the temptation and for me it would just be another reason to work hard and prove them wrong. At least once a week I walk into the lounge and I see some type of dessert sitting there and I am so tempted to take one but I find the will power that tells me that I don't need it and I usually don't take it!
  • I just very successfully finished week one of my 1200 cal. per day.plan. My husband asked me earlier if I wanted some potato chips or peanut M&M's!! WHAT???!!!! :-<

5345368.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    sad as it is to say, my mom. if i work out it was not done right. i should have done it longer or harder. i eat something and it should have been something else. i lose a pound and i could have done more... it is a never ending cycle with her! nothing is good enough or done right!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    you did the right thing.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    yep my 8 yr old she wants the junk food back
  • ChristieDF
    ChristieDF Posts: 178 Member
    I had someone do that to me recently. Everybody else was telling me that they could see that I've lost weight. And one day she walked up to me and said "Christie, you're gaining weight". And I politely said no I'm not I've lost 12lbs since my last doctors visit. And then see said do I look like I've gained? I was like what!! I told her don't try and still my joy...
  • My mom isn't really negative she's told me that I've done well with my weight loss, but she is jealous and competitive. I try to tell her what to change in her daily life to make the weight come off and she doesn't listen. She acts like I don't know what I am talking about, but I've lost 12 lbs in 6 weeks and she's lost nothing. She lives around 200 miles away so when we visit we stay the entire weekend, the last time I was there I went home 2lbs heavier, which took me a week to get off. She buys a lot of chips, cookies and junk. As well as Wine. At home I don't keep those in the house, and my husband is very supportive of that.
    I'm actually heading over there for the weekend, so I must dig deep for my will power!
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    sad as it is to say, my mom. if i work out it was not done right. i should have done it longer or harder. i eat something and it should have been something else. i lose a pound and i could have done more... it is a never ending cycle with her! nothing is good enough or done right!

I'm sorry! Just stick with what you are comfortable with. Parents can be a pain sometimes. I'm sure you are doing a great job with everything.
  • JenniferTasso
    JenniferTasso Posts: 77 Member
    I have one person on Facebook, who used to be a neighbor, and everytime I post something about exercise, she always has a smart comment, like, if she had 5 bucks for everytime I said, Zumba, elliptical, or kettlebells...little does she know, if I had 5 bucks everytime she mentioned, Jesus, Lord, God...I would have more money :devil:
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    I don't think anyone I know intentionally tries to sabotage me. I think it's just an absence of thought about the situation and the fact that things have changed. Sure....I'll go out to dinner...but not fast food. Sure I'll come over or go out for movie night. No...I don't want snacks. Yes, my workout time is scheduled in and I'm not changing it. Those kind of things. I think it's easy to get past as long as you take a good stance on your goals and not being derailed.
  • aimstein
    aimstein Posts: 94

I completely understand. Mom's can be that way. My mom is the first one to notice, and speak up, if/when I've gained a few....but she never says a word when I lose or tone. I've really toned up a lot this past year and she hasn't said one word! Yet my older step sister does one work-out and my mom looks at me and says, "boy K really has nice toned legs". It's almost like she isn't saying anything on purpose. Negative...I've learned to ignore it and just be happy doing what's best for me."Do your best and forget the rest" TH
  • Yeah, I used to. All my weight was in my stomach and they constantly reminded me of my "you have a belly", DUH! I know I do.
    I wouldn't do anything about it, because of them constantly bugged the HECK out of me....it wasn't until had to get new teeth of starting how to eat again is pretty much how I lost my weight which was my "belly" but I'm glad I lost it...and I feel so much better too..and my clothes fit more comfortably and my pants actually are starting to DROP if I don't wear a belt, so I "HAVE" to wear belts! I didn't really deal with it....of the ones that constantly reminded me that I had a "belly". What could I do...except be mad about it.....I think you did the right thing....besides the teeth, I DID start eating more healthier ---got my bad eating days of course...
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Yes! I have a couple of family members who try to sabotage me! Drives me nuts!! One is my own mother who insists on bringing junk food over "for the kids"... ugg! The kids don't need it any more than I do but I can make her see that. The other one is just jealous, I try to help her and suggest changes to help but it boils down to her being unmotivated... can't really fix that for her :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    When I lost some weight, my mom commented on it, but the way she said it was "I see you have less of a muffin top."

That's like saying "You are less fat" instead of saying "You look good/better/slimmer" It's just the way she is. My dad told me I looked great and that's what I took away from the visit.
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    omg....both of my co workers are the same way...one is always saying she's too fat and only weighs like 110 lbs and the other one says she's lost 10 lbs...but thats been the same story for the past 6 months....but now that they see that im actually making my own lunch and making healthier choices they try to bring me down by making remarks like...your going to eat that? they have issues...i just ignore them and let them say what they want...at the end of the day im only worried about myself and the progress im making..
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    My mother in law is a big lady and thinks I look healthier when I have some "meat" on my bones. I think that is just a way for her to say she doesn't want to be the only big girl. I have never been heavy till I married into her family and ate many meals at her house. She does not know how to cook healthy and this as well as my lack of will power helped me gain. Now that I am losing she has not said a word about it. I am sure that once I lose back to the weight I was when I met her she will say I am too skinny and look frail. Even though I won't. I am so excited to look healthy again and not plump.
  • sad as it is to say, my mom. if i work out it was not done right. i should have done it longer or harder. i eat something and it should have been something else. i lose a pound and i could have done more... it is a never ending cycle with her! nothing is good enough or done right!

Ugh, my mom always brings me down. When I turn down all of the foods she bakes at home all day she turns it into an eating disorder fight. I should also mention that my mom is a typical stay at home yoga mom and weighs 15 pounds less than me and has since i was 12.
This discussion has been closed.