High Heart Rate

Options
So I've got a fast little bunny heart. Just lying here on the couch on my laptop for an hour, my heart rate is 92 bpm. It's always been this high; it's only been over the past couple months with regular exercise that I've sometimes caught my resting heart rate in the high 80s.

The issue comes around when I'm exercising. The machines at my gym have heart rate monitors built in. The thing is, it starts off in the high "cardio" zone when I'm just moving the machine to turn on the electronics, says I'm overexerting myself for the bulk of the exercise (170+ bpm easily), and then goes back into the high cardio range during the cool-down. My friend exercising next to me will completely wear herself out and her bpm won't go over 170, but I can go for half an hour with a light or moderate sweat and find it nearly impossible to go under 170 while inside the gym doors.

Is this an issue I should be concerned about, or is every heart simply different?

Replies

• jen0125
    jen0125 Posts: 53
    Options
    I have no idea, but my resting HR is in the low 60's but when I am doing cardio it is always over 200, though i can still huff and puff enough words with the talk test to stay up that high the entire time.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how concerned you should be about your heart rate but it may be worth checking out with your doctor. You can also go to a sports store and find a heart rate monitor that you can use during exercise that may be more accurate. Then you can compare the two results to see how different they are and monitor the progression of both.
  • carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    First time I used a HRM my peak was 200, I'm a bunny too! lol. I'm not really concerned because I don't feel any pain or discomfort, and I have noticed that the more I work out , the more used to it my body gets, and that makes my heart rate not be so high.

If you have any doubts, visit a doctor dear. Hope you feel ok.
  • rayne937
    rayne937 Posts: 16
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. I was always in the 190s. I think I was over-exerting myself, even if it didn't feel like it. They say you don't burn as much unless you are in your Target HR range. I think your body will just get used to it over time and your HR will come down. I definitely aim to stay in my target range. Just make sure you drink plenty of water!
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! It was hard when I was pregnant because I could never keep my heart rate down! I don't worry too much about it, I know that it is normal for me. If I felt like something was wrong then I would get it check out.
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm drinking lots of water and I can still have full-on conversations when I'm exercising. I also feel just fine throughout the day and when exercising. *shrug* Just wondering what kinds of ideas everyone had.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Is the regular excercise new for you? I only ask because active people have lower resting heart rates.The more active one becomes...the lower the resting heart rate..ie.. the 80's vs. the 90's you saw. On the flip side...if you are always active and have always been..its worth a check out. When I was 21 I had a leisurely stroll through a mall resulting in a HR of 120 . Two weeks later..the same thing happened. Visited a doctor ...ended up having an aortic aneurism repaired two months later. Hearts are super important...take care of yours. Atleast the doctor will let you know if your normal range is the 80's and 90's. After that...rely on the HRM's ! Take it easy sweetie!
  • liz_bolin
    liz_bolin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is around 110 bmp. I have a defect in my heart called WPW Wolfe Parkinson White, which means I have extra channels in my heart. It can be very dangerous because when I am exercising my heart rate will shoot up around 255 or so. I would look into it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what my resting heart rate is, but it's probably 70-80. When I'm on the arc trainer it was common for my heart rate to get up to 185 during my high intensity intervals, and it would get back down to 165-170 during the low intensity intervals. After a few months of regular exercise it now stays around 165-170 for the majority of my high intensity time, only reaching 180 in the last few minutes of the work out and it stays around 150 for the low intensity.

Your heart is a muscle and over time your whole cardiovascular system will get stronger. Your heart rate should lower eventually.