Eating and exercise tips for FAT LOSS - advice needed

Options
How do you reduce body fat? I am so tired of looking at these thick layers of fat on my body. Do I need major cardio? More weights? What types of food should I eat/avoid? Should I reduce all fat in my diet?

How do I get rid of fat. It has to be more than just calorie deficit.

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • rayne937
    rayne937 Posts: 16
    Options
    No expert/doctor here, but unfortunately it is going to be a combination of all the things you mentioned. I think the best way to determine if something is TOO high in fat is to do the percentage of fat to calories. I think there is usually a label that says fat from cals. You don't want that to be more than 30%. If it is, it is probably too much fat. Try not to eat anything over 10-15g of sugar. Sugars turn into carbs, and not the good ones.
    More than anything you definitely want that balance. When you feel full, stop eating. Drink water before meals to help reduce eating too much. Your body will naturally start to pull from your fat reserves once it realizes the difference in your intake. It will definitely take time, and cardio will help. So will weights. Muscle weighs more than fat, so as you use weights, it will help reduce fat.
    Hope that helps!
  • GilHanna
    GilHanna Posts: 3
    Options
    Check out www.idealprotein.com. Great way to jump start fat loss. Exercise certainly is key, and strength training (using weights) is very important as well, because the more you use and develop your muscle, the more calories you burn at rest!

As far as food goes, avoid simple carbohydrates, like any bread, crackers, cookies, sweets, even avoid most fruit (eat in VERY small quantities if you must), and eat lots of veggies and lean protein.

If you really want to lose weight quickly, limit your carb intake to under 45g per day. That means no fruit, rice, pasta, breads, potatoes or yams, etc., etc.

And above all, seek the advice of a nutritionist or doctor before beginning any weight loss program!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eating less than your body burns in a day (exercise plus what your body burns to keep you alive), exercise, healthy eating.

Do lots of cardio and some strength training.

Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy and drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. Avoid all processed foods, refined sugar, artificial sweeteners and alcohol. Watch your carb and fat intake. Consuming more of either one of those at one time than your body can use for energy will result in the excess being stored as fat.
  • GilHanna
    GilHanna Posts: 3
    Options
    The problem with the way most of us eat is that we eat too many carbs, causing spikes in our blood sugars, which tells the pancreas to secrete insulin. Insulin causes the body to store excess calories as fat, and causes you to be hungry! If you restrict the carbs, you will stabilize the pancreas and insulin levels, and allow the pancreas to secrete insulin's opposing hormone, glucagon, which realease fat from storage for the body to burn!

I started the Ideal Protein diet one week ago. I've already lost 11 pounds! Granted, the first week is always the best, but my blood sugars have also stabilized to teh point where I am off insulin injections completely!!! And that happened after the third day!! (Yes, I am a Type II diabetic.)

Good luck!!
  • MarjorieSf
    Options
    All good advice -- make sure you write down how many times you "cheat just this once." It really adds extra calories that sneak in there and before you know it, the magic of weight coming off slows or stops completely. Good luck !!!