article on subway - thoughts?

Options

Replies

• TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    subway isn't the healthiest option, but more nutritious than McDonald's... so good for them.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    subway isn't the healthiest option, but more nutritious than McDonald's... so good for them.

Agreed!
  • BrittBritt117
    Options
    haha, I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that people tend to consume MORE calories at Subway than McD's because they thought it was healthier... another reason why I wish every restaurant would be required to list calories on the menu!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Please name a healthier fast-food restaurant.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

Pretty sure they meant that it's not the healthiest option in general. I.e. c
  • wolfchild59
    Options

Pretty sure they meant that it's not the healthiest option in general, not just a far as fast food is concerned. I.e. it's a better option than McDonald's, but it'd be healthier to make your own food. Therefore, making it so Subway isn't the healthiest option, just a healthier option.
  • jacolyncoker123
    Options
    haha, I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that people tend to consume MORE calories at Subway than McD's because they thought it was healthier... another reason why I wish every restaurant would be required to list calories on the menu!

...Subway DOES list all of its calories... so do all other fast food resteraunts. You just have to look for the big list. If someones eating a crap load of food, it's their fault not the resteraunt.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Subway, maybe widespread but their product is far from superior considering other options in the market. Their quality control and customer experience isn't anything to rave about and their sodium levels are through the roof! Hello...is anyone listening...how about a low sodium option which other chains don't offer.

When I travel, my first choice for a sandwich is Potbelly, followed by Subway and then Jimmy Johns.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options

...Subway DOES list all of its calories... so do all other fast food resteraunts. You just have to look for the big list. If someones eating a crap load of food, it's their fault not the resteraunt.
    I have never seen a big list at any subway I have ever been too...I actually recently asked for the nutrition facts and it took the manager over 20 minutes to find me one.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I would take Jimmy John's with Boars Head meats over subway any day............And I can get my sandwich wrapped in lettuce instead of having to eat bread, so Jimmy John's would get my vote over subway any day!!!

I try not to eat any of those meats because of the Nitrates and Nitrites. Sometimes Jimmy John's is just good though.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options

I have never seen a big list at any subway I have ever been too...I actually recently asked for the nutrition facts and it took the manager over 20 minutes to find me one.

the 4 subways in my town have them listed in pamplets in two different areas. one by the drinks, one by the door.
  • wolfchild59
    Options

All of the Subways in my area have them listed on grids right on the glass you have to look through to see the topping choices. Usually one at the end where you order and another where you pay, along with pamphlets with the info near the registers and/or by the drinks area.

But I actually jut keep the PDF of the nutritional info on my phone, alone with any other restaurant I may end up eating at for whatever reason, so I never have to depend on the restaurant to provide that info. And sometimes it's more up to date than the restaurant info. I usually recheck stuff every month or so and update with the new info, so there's been times that the PDF I have was more recently updated than the printed materials in the restaurant.
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I would say Chipotle is much healthier...all fresh ingredients, no hormones, etc in the meat...and if you know what to order you can eat pretty low cal! (Sodium is still on the high side unfortunately...hard to escape when eating out anywhere!)
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I heard this is actually in work right now. Hopefully it gets done with minimal political crap.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

All of the Subways in my area have them listed on grids right on the glass you have to look through to see the topping choices. Usually one at the end where you order and another where you pay, along with pamphlets with the info near the registers and/or by the drinks area.

But I actually jut keep the PDF of the nutritional info on my phone, alone with any other restaurant I may end up eating at for whatever reason, so I never have to depend on the restaurant to provide that info. And sometimes it's more up to date than the restaurant info. I usually recheck stuff every month or so and update with the new info, so there's been times that the PDF I have was more recently updated than the printed materials in the restaurant.

This Subway's around me have a list like you are talking about, but it is far from complete. They only put the ones in the list that are the lowest calorie choices, of course they are all still high in sodium sadly.
  • jacolyncoker123
    Options

Maybe it's just where I live then, all of the fast food restaurants have big lists up right next to the door of calories and what not. The subway by my house has it calories listed on the glass you look through to choose the stuff for your sandwhich. And panera has the calories literally listed on the menu.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options

This Subway's around me have a list like you are talking about, but it is far from complete. They only put the ones in the list that are the lowest calorie choices, of course they are all still high in sodium sadly.

The Subways around me (in Los Angeles) have the abbreviated nutritional facts in the glass case, but they also now have basic caloric information ON the actual menu board next to the prices. Granted, this doesn't show fats, carbs, sodium, etc., but if you're deciding between two sandwiches, or debating a foot-long, it's pretty convincing. More and more places (around here anyway) are showing the basic calorie counts for *everything* on their menus -- Subway, McDonald's, Starbucks, IHOP, Denny's, a Greek fast-food-type place, La Salsa / Baja Fresh... it's a very welcome change!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Sushi is a better option LOL
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think Subway CAN be a healthy option if you go to their website and look at the nutritional values and plan ahead. But they are sooo deceiving making you believe that they are ultra healthy and that everything they have is good for you when it is not. There's a reason why they tell you to stay away from all cheeses and condiments, and they even have a list of high sodium VEGGIES to stay away from. It's not just the meats with the salt. You can be over on your sodium if you load the "wrong" veggies on a veggie only sub.

And I have never understand why according to their website WHITE bread has more fiber than WHEAT bread. A typo? Or do they try to up the sales of their wheat bread by adding sugar and other crap to it so their "healthy" products taste better?

Just sayin...

But you CAN find some healthy choices if you research first. It took me an hour of studying their website before I decided on a sandwich that fit my diary. But sadly enough, it still had more calories, sodium, fat, and carbs than a grilled chicken salad from Jack in the Box which is known for their horrendous fatty burgers.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I always found it kind of strange that Subways parent company is Dr's Associates, Inc...