Need fitness friends and help so bad with selecting foods

luvequality08046
luvequality08046 Posts: 4
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Trying to get the diet together with selecting the right foods, but EVERYTHING I thought was GOOD is Not. The Kellog's diet wont work, its processed, high in sugar, contains hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. So what do I select? If you are familiar and know a lot about good healthy food including eating outside of whole wheat products please add me and share the information. BTW are there any walking, running or hiking clubs in the south jersey area? Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Jamie

Replies

• Buy a book. I'm reading Enter the Zone by Barry Sears. But any will do. If you are the tech savy type, spend a few hours researching it on google and you'll save the cash, but I'd just get a book. If you can't find one you like online, just go to B & N and pick one out that looks suitable.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    my guide is to eat things that like they way they did when they were plucked, harvested or killed... so stick w/TONS of vegetables...fish, chicken, fruit, etc. also, remember that natural fat is good... and added fat (processed fat) is bad. So everytime you pick something that's low fat... they add sugar... STUFF your house with foods you can eat so that you aren't tempted for something quick & crappy! after 8 wks of not cheating, the cravings to eat crap will disappear
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    BTW are there any walking, running or hiking clubs in the south jersey area? Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Appalachian Mountain Club
    http://www.outdoors.org/chapters/delaware-valley-chapter.cfm

You might want to google Sierra Club to see if they have any chapters by you.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Almost everything has high fructose corn syrup in it, its actually really sad.

Basically you want to eat more natural foods... the less processed the better. You can never go wrong with raw/cooked fruit & veggies, grilled or baked chicken is a great choice (or any lean meats like turkey & fish). I personally don't add salt to anything anymore because the sodium content is most food is HIGH as it is. If you buy beef, make sure you get the leanest possible, etc.

Really you can have anything you want, don't feel too restricted into a certain "diet" (fad diets). Of course remember to keep the bad stuff in moderation :wink: Take a look in the recipes forums, I'm sure you will find some great ideas there!

Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Eating well is quite simple if you follow a few guidelines:

1) Avoid processed foods. Always eat as fresh as you can
    2) Watch your portion sizes
    3) Make sure you eat from all of the food groups
    4) Eat things you enjoy

A good diet is a lifestyle choice. There is no point going on a crash diet just to get to a certain weight and then go back to eating all the bad things you ate before - you'll just put weight back on! What's the point?!

More often than not, educating yourself about foods is the first step to making the right choices and therefore key in helping you drop excess lbs. This site is great as the database is brilliant at highlighting to you which foods aren't worth it, which you should eat sparingly, and those you can consume lots of!
  • lbelfrey
    lbelfrey Posts: 63
    Hi I'll be glad to share what I've learned from my nutritionist. Don't do fat free dressings or snacks do "light" because fat free adds more sugar to make up for the fat. Crazy right! Quaker Oats seems to be a healthy choice when it comes to cereals, OATS being the key ingredient. But if you are looking for a healthy breakfast choice also try hard boiled eggwhites make it fat free by taking out the yolk, and a whole grain toast. Eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner. You will burn more calories by eating smaller meals more often. Just make sure you include a protien and carb or a protien and grain and plenty of fruits and veggies. Good luck!:smile:
    Did you know it takes 3 days to digest beef? I didn't. I'm eating less beef and more lean turkey, and white meat chicken.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Trying to get the diet together with selecting the right foods, but EVERYTHING I thought was GOOD is Not. The Kellog's diet wont work, its processed, high in sugar, contains hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. So what do I select? If you are familiar and know a lot about good healthy food including eating outside of whole wheat products please add me and share the information. BTW are there any walking, running or hiking clubs in the south jersey area? Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Jamie

You young so hopefully no health issues yet...
    Watch out for sugar(s) (& artificial sweetners) in prepared foods. Anything ending in an *ose* is probably bad.
    Prego, Ragu, Del Monte prepped with seasonings about 9g sugar. Plain tomato sauce in can about 1g sugar... mix in your own seasoning & refrigerate or freeze portions.

I wouldn't go as far as to say:
    remember that natural fat is good
    too much ANIMAL fat is not good for you, I'd watch my portion size... but fish, olives, avocados, really are good for you.

And remember to eat a balanced diet PROTEIN, STARCH & VEG (1/2 the plate veg, 1/4 protein, 1/4 starch)
  • joystout
    joystout Posts: 13
    Fresh Vegetables, Fresh Fruits, Lean Meats not fried but broiled or grilled. Bread...Try Joseph's Oat Bran & Stone Ground Whole Wheat Pita Bread. I found it at Wal-Mart in the brea aisle. It is only 60 calories and really really tasty!
This discussion has been closed.