Need HELP please!

Options
I apologize ahead of time for the following pitiful sounding post, but I need to vent and ask for the help of others who hopefully understand. I started MFP Jan 3, and LOVE it! I lost 8 lbs the first month...and that's where it stops. I've been gaining and losing the same pound for over a month now. I really feel like I'm eating within my calorie range for the most part, with an occasional splurge, drinking water like crazy, and definitely exercising more than I ever have. So, I'm not sure what the problem is.

The one thing I do know is, I DON'T want to quit this time! I've been a "professional" dieter for the last 7 years. My friends and family give me "the look" every time I start a new diet...the one that says, "Ha ha..she's dieting again...we'll see how long it lasts this time." There's something in me right now, though, that won't let me quit. It says keep going....this is your year!

I read the success stories daily to stay motivated. I so desperately want to be one myself, but right now I just feel frustration and almost a sadness. A part of me feels like I'm too old for this. I'm 41...maybe I've just missed it, maybe it's too late to try. I also think I'm happily married with three children...who cares if I'm a little overweight? What does it really matter? But, I care! I want to lose this weight once and for all. If, for no other reason, than to prove to myself that I can do it. So, I'm asking for help from others who have fought this battle and won. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories?
  • SarahMA
    SarahMA Posts: 22
    Options
    Some times your body just gets stuck and need a little extra push to keep moving. Have you tried switching up your exercises? Trying new things that really challange your body?

If you've been shaking it up and continuing to push them maybe its time to get some one-on-one help with a trainer or nutritionalist who can help you pin-point areas that you may be missing.

I think the greatest thing that MFP has given me is the knowledge that I'm not along in this fight. That there is support - don't hesitate to look for outside help too! It may be the little push you need to keep making great progress and get in great shape. DONT GIVE UP - FIGHT FOR WHAT YOU WANT :)
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    you need to open your diary so we can help you. if we can see what you've been doing we can't give you any suggestions on how to fix it.
  • blessedmom3x
    blessedmom3x Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Weigh Down diet. It is really more of a lifestyle than a diet. Gwen Shamblin is the one who started it. She has two books that are great- The Weigh down, and Rise Above. You can look her up on her website. There are even free videos you can watch on the computer which are very encouraging. I think it is Weigh down at home.com. Your story sounds like those of many others who have lost weight permenantly through the Weigh Down. Hope this is helpful!
  • sabrina_11
    sabrina_11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sorry...thought it was public. Just changed it. :)
  • bitabee
    bitabee Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I apologize ahead of time for the following pitiful sounding post, but I need to vent and ask for the help of others who hopefully understand. I started MFP Jan 3, and LOVE it! I lost 8 lbs the first month...and that's where it stops. I've been gaining and losing the same pound for over a month now. I really feel like I'm eating within my calorie range for the most part, with an occasional splurge, drinking water like crazy, and definitely exercising more than I ever have. So, I'm not sure what the problem is.

The one thing I do know is, I DON'T want to quit this time! I've been a "professional" dieter for the last 7 years. My friends and family give me "the look" every time I start a new diet...the one that says, "Ha ha..she's dieting again...we'll see how long it lasts this time." There's something in me right now, though, that won't let me quit. It says keep going....this is your year!

I read the success stories daily to stay motivated. I so desperately want to be one myself, but right now I just feel frustration and almost a sadness. A part of me feels like I'm too old for this. I'm 41...maybe I've just missed it, maybe it's too late to try. I also think I'm happily married with three children...who cares if I'm a little overweight? What does it really matter? But, I care! I want to lose this weight once and for all. If, for no other reason, than to prove to myself that I can do it. So, I'm asking for help from others who have fought this battle and won. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I know what you're saying about the professional dieting...
    Keep the motivation and keep it going!!! You are not alone!
    Like the other ladies said, changing up your workouts, seeing a trainer or nutritionist if needed...

don't give up!!
  • Tia76
    Tia76 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try to account for all your BLT's (bites, licks and taste). It is easy to undo your calorie reduction by just a few unlogged items. for the next week dont eat anything without logging it first. Every calorie counts.

Hope that helps
  • juliei
    juliei Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Since the beginning of January, I have been gaining/loosing the same five pounds. I just finally got over the plateau. I totally dropped my carbs and sodium for three days, got that weight off and now I'm back to loosing weight again. I have slowly put my carbs back up to where it should be but I am still really watching my sodium. I was actually getting too much sodium which was preventing me from loosing weight.
  • missyjmet
    missyjmet Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    possibly change up your exercise routine. challenge yourself. If you keep doing the same exercises over and over, your body gets used to it, adapts, and burns less calories to get the job done. switch it up some, you may see a change. also, make sure you incorporate a rest day into your week. working out 7 days a week may be too much stress on your body, it needs to recover and rebuild after vigorous exercises. Hope this helps!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising a lot your body may be tired so give yourself an extra day or two of rest. As other people said, switch up your work out. If you don't lift weights try doing that. Maybe push yourself just a little bit harder. Let us know how it works out for you!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I'm with some other posters - change up the routine and give yourself rest if you're over-exercising

Also, watch the sodium (it's a killer sometimes) as it will make you retain water showing gains on the scale. On days you end up high in sodium drink some extra water to help flush it out. Also make sure you are netting at least 1200 calories (after food & exercise) a day.

If nothing else works, patience. Keep at it, it will come off eventually if you stay persistent. :flowerforyou:
  • Lexi847942
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going through. I started dieting about 6 weeks ago and I can honestly say this is the longest I have ever stuck with a diet plan. I was like you, I would complain about my weight and beat myself up about it and then finally decide to do something only to get frustrated after a few weeks. But, this time it's gonna stick!

The thing that truly made a difference for me was when I gave up wanting to get thinner for other people. I don't want to do it to impress anyone else anymore. I want to lose weight to be happy, to feel as good inside as I show outside. Another big part was realizing that being thinner isn't just about looking better. I want to be healthy so that I can enjoy all kinds of activities with friends and family and not be embarrassed when I can't keep up.

I got to a point after the first three weeks where I came to a stand still and wasn't losing any more weight even though I was following my calorie guide lines and exercising more than ever before. I was frustrated and kept thinking, "why am I denying myself the food I really want to eat when it's not doing anything?" A good friend reminded me that it's not always about the number on the scale. Your weight will fluctuate normally given the time of day that you weigh yourself, your natural water weight, and with the development of muscle. Also muscle weighs more than fat and if you are exercising more than ever you may be accumulating muscle without realizing it. This will make your weight go up but your BMI go down. A great way to see this is to track your weight daily on a graphing system. This will show you subtle changes that you might not otherwise recognize. Also tracking your measurements can show you when you are loosing inches even if you are gaining weight.

Finally, the thing that helps me every day to stay on track is to remember that I have come this far and stopping now will not only be giving up but it will also be putting myself back where I started. If I keep going I know that eventually I will get where I want to go. It's not going to be fast and it's not going to be easy but in the end it will be completely worth and I will finally be able to say, "I did it and no one can take that away from me!". I don't know anything about you other than what you are struggling with in your diet but from one person who has failed so many times before to another, if I can do it, so can you!
    I hope this helps to brighten your day and know that you are not alone and you can do this! Take care!
  • sabrina_11
    Options
    That DID help brighten my day! I appreciate your honesty and words of encouragement! :)
  • sabrina_11
    Options
    Thank you all!! I'm going to read each suggestion and take a long look at what changes need to be made. I appreciate each one of you. Good luck to everyone on this journey!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Don`t say your`e too old.I`m 54 and been trying to loose wt for the better part of my life.I have lost 104 lbs and still have some to go.It`s not set in stone,what works for 1 will work for someone else.I think we have to find what works for us.
    The suggestions given were good ones.You can do it.Don`t give up!!Find out what works for you and it will happen.
    Any change you make to get healthy is a plus.You CAN DO IT!!!
    good luck!!!
    jane
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    If your a serial dieter I hope you'll find this helpful in setting acheiveable goals and maintaining lifestyle changes. At our age it's time to keep in mind what's healthy for the long term. We've got one body and it's gotta last us the rest of our life.

When I was stressing about not meeting my goals, this was helpful for me. It helped keep me on track to know I had a little wiggle room.

It dawned on me that it's not hitting a number exactly, but falling within a range consistently...
    So, I went to the goals section and kept playing with the data I input. to get the following info
    You can figure out yours, but here's the idea...

To lose 1lb/week I get 1240 cal

To lose 1/2lb/week I get 1470 cal (+250 cal)

To maintain my GOAL weight I get 1670 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over lose 1lb/wk goal by 400 cal
    I should still lose (maybe a little more slowly, but no reason to throw in the towel).

To maintain my CURRENT weight I get 1720 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over lose 1lb/wk goal 500 cal
    I should not gain. So I'm not losing any ground. (I can take a break and then pick-up where I left off)

Even if I am not hitting every goal dead on I'm still doing much than I was before MFP.
    which, for me, is reason enough to stick with it.

I'm on maintenance for a while right now until dr. gives me an all clear on a potential problem, but when I was losing my range 1240-1670 as long as I fell in there I was making progress without being in a severe deprivation mode. Not being able to maintain is my biggest fear, okay that and yo-yoing. I need to make a plan that I can live hopefully for a long time to come.

Remember, it's not about being perfect it's about doing better.
    No matter where you start from it's all about taking baby steps.
    Later you look back and realize that all those baby steps add up to something substantial.

Also recently read an article, that said one factor in successful weight loss is having measurable goals.
    I think this site is great for that.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Oops! hit post twice and the whole darn thing showed up 2X thank goodness for the Edit feature.
  • FILLE
    FILLE Posts: 45
    Options
    Adding people to your friend list help also. I am now 45 years young and have been on and off this site since 2009. A friend suggested to start adding friend to get words of encouragment and motivation. It is working for me. Please feel free to add me as a friend.