HRMs...The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Options
I've read a lot of posts about heart rate monitors. I have decided it's time to invest in one for myself. After seeing a lot of positive comments on MFP about the Polar brand, I've started checking them out and they (for the most part) seem to have good reviews. One reviewer posted that their exercise calories were different from brand to brand, which made me wonder how accurate most HRMs really are.

Please share your experience and knowledge! I'd really love the feedback, esp if you've used more than one brand of HRMs.

Thanks! JILL

Replies

• kamechaf
    kamechaf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    BUMP! :wink:
  • mongo2004
    mongo2004 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have Polar brand its a watch retails for 59.99 plus tax, you touch the metal part to get a pulse works great.
  • hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I got a Sportline a few weeks ago and it already started crapping out on me!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried multiple brands, but I have the Polar FT4, and really like it. Having seen what the estimated calorie burns are for activities on MFP and online, from apps and Kinect games, I'm glad I have the HRM to get a far more accurate reading.

You will definitely want a chest strap for better accuracy
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I havevthe gamin 405cx. Probably more than most people need, but im a backpacker and hiker and like to be able to see my groungtrack and elevation gain/loss after hikes. It is supposed to have a better calorie algorithm as well...
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    All HRM's are only going to give you an approximation anyway. Each company likely has it's own algorithm it uses to calculate calories burned. I personally use a Polar FT60 and I've found it to be a little lower than what a life-fitness treadmill estimates.

I would highly recommend a Polar, as it seems to be popular and dare I say, industry standard? Not sure.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex t5g981 with chest strap, calories not accurate but HR seems to be spot on.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40 and LOVE it. It is easy to use and has some pretty cool features. Definitely do NOT get one without a chest strap no matter what brand!!!! I got my first HRM with no chest strap and that was a HUGE mistake. It was saying I burned double the calories of what I actually burned b/c it had no way of taking a constant heart rate.
  • jillbarnes
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Polar seems to be the most recommended brand. I'm definitely most concerned about MFP or equipment over estimating my calorie burn.

I'm not familiar with the chest straps. How noticeable are these under clothing?
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Polar seems to be the most recommended brand. I'm definitely most concerned about MFP or equipment over estimating my calorie burn.

I'm not familiar with the chest straps. How noticeable are these under clothing?
    Mine isn't noticeable at all. I just tuck it under my sports bra and forget it's there!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    i don't notice my chest strap at all anymore. Since it sits right uner my sports bra, it just feels like it is part of that. Now, the first few times I wore it I noticed it - a lot! And every once in awhile if I get super sweaty during a workout it gets itchy, but I also have crazy sensitive skin....