pickles

Options
Ok so I saw a post where someone said that pickles have no calories. I had a jarand itsaid the same. Then I went to the store and got a different brand and there are calories. How is this possible?

Just other food for thought how can pickles have no calories if cucumbers have calories?

Replies

• sugarbunnie
    Options
    even if they had 100 calories per bite I'd still eat McClure's spicy pickles... holy smokes. best pickles ever.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they have calories. Just no carbs.

I could eat pickles all day, though. Yum.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    yup they have calories, just very low :D watch out for the sodium though! that can really get ya!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Pickles are super low calorie... the ones I buy are 3 calories per pickle.

And 700 mg of sodium.

Just something to keep in mind.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It all has to do with sneaky US FDA food labeling guidelines. If something is under five calories per listed serving size, then the company can legally label it as zero calories (i.e. Splenda "no calorie" sweetener packets or cans of 0 calorie soda - both actually have about four calories in them).

So some pickle companies have used this to label their pickles as zero calories by notating a smaller than normal serving size. Most average pickles have about 20 calories per full pickle and therefore about 5 calories per 1/4 size pickle spear. So some companies will either cut the pickle into fifths or I've even seen some jars of pickle spears that list their serving size as 3/4 of a spear. Doing either of those things lower the amount to just below five calories, so they can legally list it as zero calories.