Leg cramps

Options
I was wondering if anybody could offer some advice for me. When I work out especially when I do different workout involving my legs (i.e. stationary bicycle, walking + jogging, interval aerobic exercise.) My legs and thighs will get cramps nightly mostly my calves. I take a multi-vitamin daily and usually eat a banana or have a banana smoothie lately. Been having issues like this for over 6 months. Any ideas

Replies

• skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The two causes I have heard about are dehydration (drink more water) and lack of calcium. Try calcium before bed, it helps you sleep better too. Make sure you have magnesium with it though so you don't get constipated (cal/mag-2/1)
  • fithips
    fithips Posts: 3
    Options
    You have not had enough water!! Drink 8 minimum but really if you are trying to lose weight, try 10 to 12 cups a day. Watch the weight come off.
  • myrabarlow
    Options
    This may sound strange, but many people have used this and it works. Yellow Mustard, one teaspoon.

Certainly won't hurt to give it a try.
  • jovbal
    jovbal Posts: 3
    Options
    hey you get cramps due to an electrolyte imbalance in your muscle fibers happened to me too, why dont you supplement with 8oz of pediatric electrolyte durring workouts, it gets rid of them and is much healthier than gatorade good luck;)
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I asked a physical therapist and when you get the cramps in your legs, swing them to the side, off the bed, and put weight on your legs. It sounds conterintuitive, but it works. I don't know how to prevent them, but this worked when I got them!
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I used to get calf cramps when I worked out like a maniac and didn't drink enough water. I've been told lack of potassium, like you already mentioned, but I've also been told lack of other vitamins in general. This came up in my google search just now for night leg cramps- exercise related:

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/legcramp.htm

this one mentioned potassium, magnesium, and a couple of other possibilities. (You might want to skim down to the middle of the article, it's long)

http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_cramps/article.htm

Good luck, those "Charlie Horses" suck!
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    Thanks all. I usually drink between 8 - 12 cups water daily and I drink water while working out. the cal./mag. never heard or thought of and perhaps the electrolits is another. Diffenaantly never heard of the mustard but it can't hurt to try it. And the way I usually get the cramp out is to stand up out of bed the worse is the inner thigh/groin cramp it is hard for me to get it streched out to wherer it won't immediately cramp up again. Thanks and keep the advice coming. It is hard dealing with this interupping your sleep nightly.