Discouraged.

Options
I have been on here for about 40 days now. For the first 5 weeks I was losing 2 pounds a week. Then I added running to my workout, but I gained 2 pounds in 3 days and now I am stuck at that weight. Any insight. People keep telling me "muscle is heavier than fat." But I am not buying it.

Replies

• ssawchenko
    Options
    The less you weigh, the less calories per day your body will require... so perhaps after losing 10 pounds your caloric intake is evening out such that you aren't seeing such a drastic decrease in weight per week?

Muscle is heavier than fat for sure though, but perhaps it is time to re-evaluate your cals/day?

Just a thought.

ps. How long have you been stuck at this weight? Unless it's been weeks I wouldn't worry quite yet.
  • pereran
    pereran Posts: 3
    Options
    muscle IS heavier than fat. You may not realize how much more muscle is being developed on your body, especially in your legs, from running. That is solid meat, that will add weight; good weight. Also, how strict have you been with your diet? And I'm sure you already know this, but make sure your eating a complete breakfast, every day.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If it helps, in the past I've always found that weight loss "evens itself out". Some weeks you stick to plan like glue and nothing or even a gain (sheer frustration) and other weeks you're not so good but get a decent result. In the end it seems to even out so I think it's the tortoise and hare approach really. You know it works because you've proved it so keep at it! :smile:
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Need a little more detail to give you an answer.

What kind of workouts are you doing? Did you start running and back off on something else?

Any changes to your caloric intake?

Could be as simple as no BM, or excess water retention.

Always weigh yourself at the same time of day and preferably on the same level of stomach fullness.
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look as though you've really got a lot to lose, so probably 1 lb or less a week is a more realistic goal for you.. It's possible that the early weight loss included water loss... Don't get discouraged, running is good for you and WILL pay off.
  • Greyhawkk
    Greyhawkk Posts: 34
    Options
    Im about to hit 52 weeks of life change. When i joined here, i set my goal to 1.5 lb a week. Some weeks I would gain, some i would lose, some i would stay the same......how many years did it take to get this way?.......took me 15 years....i would have loved for it to come off in 15 weeks, sadly it doesnt work that way.

But do the math ....SW - 327 ...... CW - 248 - 79lb differance / 52 weeks = 1.51 / week.

Hang in there....work hard....stay true and it will come.

PS- Drink a CARTLOAD of water...... i do 150+ Oz's a day.
  • ondjima
    ondjima Posts: 27 Member
    Options

What kind of workouts are you doing? Did you start running and back off on something else?

Always weigh yourself at the same time of day and preferably on the same level of stomach fullness.

I usually do 20 minutes on the elliptical each morning, and an hour long Zumba class three days a week. I did not back off of these when I added running. My calorie intake has stayed at 1200-1400 a day. I am bad about weighing myself any time I am in the bathroom. I was diagnosed with PCOS on Monday, and so I have started a low GI diet I am struggling to eat that many calories. Yesterday I only got 1100.
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Every time I do an intense workout, the next day or 2, I seem to gain a couple of pounds. It has something to do with water retention from working out. I'm not sure of the science of it. Try making sure you are adequately hydrated before working out. Not sure if this will help, but also try not to get discouraged. Weight fluctuates throughout the week. I know how it feels... I'm just starting out on this round (I've had several rounds), and so far so good, but I'm already planning for my plateau. Google "weightloss plateau" to see if there is some information out there to help revamp your plan to get you going again. I was reading that you do tend to loose lean muscle mass when loosing weight, I guess that would be why it is important to workout, but I bet that running has indeed caused you to rebuild some of that muscle mass. It should pay off in the long run. By the way, great job on your weightloss so far. Definitely doing good!
  • wilmelenne
    wilmelenne Posts: 113
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat because 1 lb of muscle is also 1 lb of fat. The misconception is that muscle is more DENSE than fat. Which means that it is more tightly packed. Think of putting fat into water, you notice how fat will float, but if you put a muscular piece of meat into water, it would sink. That is the same thing that would happen to a person who was more lean in a pool. Basically on the scale your 1 lb gain can be muscle. Measuring yourself is the best indication of weight loss.

Also since you just started running, your muscles are not used to that activity and it is retaining water for the time being. It will behave that way for any new exercise regimen you start. GIve it a week or two or your muscles will come back to normal.

HOpe that helped. I can provide sources if you need.
  • ondjima
    ondjima Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I feel a little sheepish now, everything you guys are saying makes sense. Thanks for the input and encouragement! I will get a measuring tape and take measurements now before losing the next 30 pounds.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This is why I want to get a scale that also measure BMI. At my old gym I used one, it was great because when I am at my more ideal size, I am actually the same weight I am right now. That just shows I lost a lot of muscle and gained fat over about a year or so. ( I would prefer to have a "ticker" that shows BMI progress than just pounds lost.)

Anyway, you won't gain muscle immediately to justify the scale, but over time you might, more likely if you are strength training than just running.
    Take measurements, get a BMI scale. I ordered one form target once but it was broken and I was afraid to order another one in case it was a crappy brand. But I see many varieties online as I'm googling it now.
  • iamthepreston
    Options

Okay this is from school/reading not personal experience.

You are definetely in caloric defecit state. There are several possible explanations for this. Some of them are mentioned above, however here is the one that is not mentioned.

Due to your lack of calories your body is in starvation mode. Your body knows what kind of work it has to do everyday and knows it is not getting enough calories to perform those activites, so in return your body has turned your metabolism off and is trying to store everything it possible can. To remedy this you need to add a few more calories a day. Try 200 to make up for your extra energy expenditure. Other people I know of have also thrown in cheat days where they eat a surplus of calories for a day or a meal in an effort to trick their body.

I know it sounds crazy that you have to add calories to lose weight but it is possible.

However if I were you I wouldn't put too much thought into it unless it has been 3 weeks with no changes. A 3 pound weight fluctuation is very common. I can weight three more pounds after a meal. Thats 2 pounds of food and 16 ounces of water.

I usually do 20 minutes on the elliptical each morning, and an hour long Zumba class three days a week. I did not back off of these when I added running. My calorie intake has stayed at 1200-1400 a day. I am bad about weighing myself any time I am in the bathroom. I was diagnosed with PCOS on Monday, and so I have started a low GI diet I am struggling to eat that many calories. Yesterday I only got 1100.
  • iamthepreston
    Options
    This is why I want to get a scale that also measure BMI. At my old gym I used one, it was great because when I am at my more ideal size, I am actually the same weight I am right now. That just shows I lost a lot of muscle and gained fat over about a year or so. ( I would prefer to have a "ticker" that shows BMI progress than just pounds lost.)

Anyway, you won't gain muscle immediately to justify the scale, but over time you might, more likely if you are strength training than just running.
    Take measurements, get a BMI scale. I ordered one form target once but it was broken and I was afraid to order another one in case it was a crappy brand. But I see many varieties online as I'm googling it now.

Hey what you are talking about is bioelectrical impedance (Spelling?). It measures body fat not BMI. BMI is just a simple calculation based on height, and weight that you can do with a alculator.

You are right that it is much better to use body fat than scales.