Late night eating.

Options
I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to decrease apetite in the evening. i am never really hungry throughout the day and thus take in a majority of my calories (50% or more) from dinnertime until i go to bed. thing is that i know i dont need the extra munching but i just crave the extra goodies so much!

whether you have tips on how to reduce the late snacking in relation to stress, boredom, physiological issues, or anything else... PLEASE SHARE ! super curious about this :)

Replies

• bradbyu
    bradbyu Posts: 14
    Options
    I know whenever I exercise first thing in the morning, I get hungry all day. Maybe try that and you won't be too hungry at night?
    Either that or maybe just drink a ton of water in the evenings.
  • zandhmom75
    zandhmom75 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with this, too! I will chew gum, drink hot tea, drink water, keep my hands busy with a project, or just go to bed. This doesn't always work, though. I don't really snack because I'm hungry, I think it's more habit, or boredom. If you really are hungry, go ahead and eat a small snack. Good luck to you!
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm a late night eater too. Then again I'm a "late night" everything. I am trying to drink a lot of tea to keep busy, and talk myself out of things. I don't think it's as bad to eat late if you exercised late though (for instance, after work). If you work out late it's normal to be hungry a few hours after.

I did read once that women typically eat as many calories as they burned doing their exercise. Then later I read another article/study that said people who did cardio AND strength training were better able to control their appetites than people who did cardio alone.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    oh also- I just remembered. Watch something gross om tv. . . I always lose my appetite when I watch something like "Bones". :)
  • sussmanml
    Options
    Eat apples late at night. Take your time to prep them (clean, slice, core, etc.). The smaller the pieces, the better. Your brain will have time to process the fact that you may, in fact, not be hungry anymore.

Also, a cripsy sweet Fuji apple is a great substitute for a dessert!
  • sussmanml
    Options
    Eat apples late at night. Take your time to prep them (clean, slice, core, etc.). The smaller the pieces, the better. Your brain will have time to process the fact that you may, in fact, not be hungry anymore.

Also, a cripsy sweet Fuji apple is a great substitute for a dessert!
  • lraymond558
    Options
    yeah i do too eat all my calories back but then again my exercise is usually to burn any extras i ate the day before so i think its ok.

and the apple thing i do find if i eat an apple i am usually satisfied, at least last week. maybe it actually worked and i should start eating them for bedtime snack again instead of cereals or granola bars. thanks for bringing that to my attention!

thanks you guys :) !
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Just eat whenever your hungry. Doesn't matter what time it is.
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have found cleaning my house is very helpful!
    I don't get bored and I'm burning calories at the same time. Just try to keep busy :)
    Also try to eat something high in protein at dinner time. That will keep you fuller longer.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    try miso soup...eliminates craving if you don't want to have tea or coffee or are tired of the gum/coffee routine
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with this too, especially because I work until 1-2 a.m. most nights. Hot tea helps! But if you have to snack, at least try to make sure it's something filling or healthful. I tell myself that at least it's better to eat a bowl of oatmeal at night rather than a bowl of ice cream... :)