My scales are rub ish :(

Options
Today is weigh in day and it said I've lost a stone since last thurs (which I most certainly haven't). Got on and off a couple of times so now says 8lbs loss but I don't look or feel any different and that seems way too much :(

Should I just not bother logging this week and try and buy some better scales? Or maybe it's my floor? My bathroom tiles are cork so although flat the material underneath is squidgy

Thanks for any advice xx

Replies

• PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    over the long term they should be consistent - so any trend analysis you do should be OK, they're just not terribly precise- so you shouldn't pay much attention to any particular day's reading.
  • lmk224
    lmk224 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I sympathise, are they digital? Have you tried them on a harder surface? Had a similar problem yesterday, mine were saying different weights on an even large flat tile, they're digital and 6 years old so I'm going to try another battery and if that doesn't work I'll probably head over to Amazon and buy some more.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    The soft floor surface will effect it. Try to find a hard surface
  • naidzlove
    Options
    you can get weighed at most Boots stores :) its an acurate result and it only costs 50p! if you go once a week for your weigh in too, then itll stop you getting scale obsessed xxx
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I bought new scales and am 3 lbs heavier all of a sudden! Aaaargh!
    Still another lb to go until I'm back on my old-scale-weight.

I guess it doesn't really matter, just stick to it, keep logging. Maybe put the scales somewhere else, with a hard(er) floor, see if that makes a difference. Or take measurements instead (I didn't and regret that now)
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Which digital scales do Which? recommend? Here in the USA Consumer Reports recommend

1. Taylor

2. Tanita

in that order.....

I have a Tanita, it's kinda rubbishy, but overall it does work though sometimes it tells me that I'm 10 lbs lighter! I'll take it! J/K.....anyways, check at WHICH? and also at amazon.co.uk to see what is the best.

Does Germany make any scales? I would think a German scale would be the most accurate.
  • Dutchgirly
    Dutchgirly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    my digital scale is screwy too. the floors of my apartment are warped old wood floors and i think i am just going to weigh myself at the ymca from now on.
  • smota
    smota Posts: 62
    Options

Does Germany make any scales? I would think a German scale would be the most accurate.

This is hilarious! But give it a try. If you want 'funky' instead, try a Jamaican one...
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh, but i just bought my first scale in my life last night!~ I found an amazing one at wal-mart of all places. It's digital and gives me a read out of not only weight, but BMI, fat%, water%, & caloric count! Cost was $40. I had been weighing myself at the grocery store in the past. Up until i had gained weight...lol Now i'm serious about losing it so i thought i had better keep better track.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options

This is hilarious! But give it a try. If you want 'funky' instead, try a Jamaican one...

I don't get why asking if Germany makes scales is "hilarious" sorry....they are known for precision instruments. In fact the UK did have a fantastic kitchen scale by Salter but now it's crap according to reviews at amazon since they send everything to China to do.