CHINESE

Options
Just wondering what dishes are best to have when having a chinese? x

Replies

• Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Oh I wish I knew the answer to this one! I love Chinese Food. If you find some healthy Indian food let me know as well. I will be watching to see what responses you get!

Good luck! :-)
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fitag
    fitag Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi

I would say it would be the stir fries with veggies and meats, and also tofu. Of course not fried rice and noodle dishes. And some of the clear soups too. Not dishes that are coated with batter and then dressed with honey and highly sweet sauces.

Being Chinese myself I have had to really think about what I eat. I used the principles of the BodyTrim program to help me and it worked really well. I personally found it challenging because I would eat rice with all my dishes as most Chinese do, but I then became accustomed to not eating so much rice.

I hope that helps.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Go for maybe prawns and veggies? They often have lighter sauces on veggie dishes – ask them! And I wouldn't have rice or noodles, or only a little bit if so :o)
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My DH loves Chinese and regularly wants it. I tend to stick to vegetable dishes as much as I can - mixed veg, stewed mushrooms, etc. Cos there's normally 2 of us, I can leave him to eat the lion's share of fat stuff! :laugh:

Sue :smile: x
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered this! I still have my weekly chinese, and my usual is a honey chilli chicken with fried rice or soft noodles. A half portion comes in at around 600 cals! A half portion of chicken curry with fried rice comes in somewhere similar.

For those wanting to reduce the cals, but still have their favourite, opt for boiled rice instead of fried.

For the indian, I used to work in a factory that produced indian foods, and the lowest cal option there was the vegetable balti (although I was never a fan).
  • tracyg86
    tracyg86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hi

i love chicken chow mein. its like 514 or something cals per 600g which is one of the plastic containers.

It means i can work it in to my day without having to feel guilty about it.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I go to Chinese restaurants I typically order a steamed veggie and protein (typically shrimp) with no sauce. You can usually get mixed veggies or snow peas pretty easily. Even if it's not on the menu that way (which it is a lot of places) I've never had a problem special ordering it.

My favorite experience, for humors sake, was the first time we went to our favorite hole in the wall Chinese place after I'd started MFP. I was trying to explain that I wanted the snow pea and prawn dish without the brown sauce. So the waitress (they all speak limited English) said, "So, with the white sauce?". I corrected her and said, "No, just with no sauce at all, only steamed.". She looked confused for a moment and then her eyes lit up with understanding and said "Oh! With no flavor!" lol It took every part of me to bust up laughing so I just nodded. But I got my plate of super fresh steamed snow peas and prawns without a hint of oil or sauce anywhere, and that was all that mattered. :)
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    For the indian, I used to work in a factory that produced indian foods, and the lowest cal option there was the vegetable balti (although I was never a fan).
    [/quote]

Thanks Leslie... I was afraid of that! :-)
  • bigskinner
    Options
    bump
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Crab and sweetcorn soup, steamed chicken or prawns (such as with ginger and spring onions), loads of veg and plain rice.

Whatever you do avoid sweet and sour prawn, chicken or pork balls - a complete lard and sugar-fest and 750 calories! And don;t be tempted by teh prawn crackers.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have given up takeaways for the whole of March (and hopefull continue it on for as long as I can) as part of one of my own mini challenges. Instead, if I fancy a chinese I make my own at home, Im able to watch what goes in, control the sauce and the way its cooked - works out far healthier. But if I had to have a takeaway I would probably go with a dish without batter, since Christmas I have asked my local that they put the sauce in a seperate carton so I can put less sauce on my plate, always have boiled rice over fried rice and I try to eat half less than what I used to.

Would love tips on currys though, korma is my one weakness!
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options

My favorite experience, for humors sake, was the first time we went to our favorite hole in the wall Chinese place after I'd started MFP. I was trying to explain that I wanted the snow pea and prawn dish without the brown sauce. So the waitress (they all speak limited English) said, "So, with the white sauce?". I corrected her and said, "No, just with no sauce at all, only steamed.". She looked confused for a moment and then her eyes lit up with understanding and said "Oh! With no flavor!"

Hahahaha
  • ShonzG
    ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
    Options

My favorite experience, for humors sake, was the first time we went to our favorite hole in the wall Chinese place after I'd started MFP. I was trying to explain that I wanted the snow pea and prawn dish without the brown sauce. So the waitress (they all speak limited English) said, "So, with the white sauce?". I corrected her and said, "No, just with no sauce at all, only steamed.". She looked confused for a moment and then her eyes lit up with understanding and said "Oh! With no flavor!"

Hahahaha

This is actually a great idea for me, as I am on a gluten free diet, and it's really hard to find Chinese food that doesn't have wheat in the sauce.... Thanks!
  • Tinkywu
    Tinkywu Posts: 7
    Options
    Chilli Ribs because there is no sauce, but watch for the salt content........
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    Thanks Leslie... I was afraid of that! :-)

I have a ton of GREAT Indian recipes that I make with substitutes and changes so that they are low fat and lower in calories. Veg only, though. Feel free to add me and tell me a couple of your favorites and I will see if I have adapted recipes I can send you. :glasses:
  • dawnkitchen
    dawnkitchen Posts: 161
    Options
    I get Chinese probably once every week and a half/two weeks with my boyfriend and his grandmother. I always get whatever dish I want (orange chicken, spicy chicken, etc). I just ask for the chicken and veg steamed with my sauce on the side. I only end up using 1-2 Tbsp of sauce when I dip and nothing else is fried, battered, oiled, or anything. I also eat white steamed rice (they don't have brown). I love rice and enjoy every bite. :]

Good luck!