breathing properly when running

Options
I'm having major breathing problems when running outdoors! I really want to increase my pace but everytime i do so i just get out of breath and chest pains, so i'll always need to slow down to a snails pace!...I've been running regularly for a month now, is my body just not ready or am i doing something totally wrong?!

Replies

• Dutchgirly
    Dutchgirly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    how far and how long do you run?
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    My husband is in army and is an avid runner (Partly because he has to be, partly because he loves to run), he gave me some good advice. He said breathe rhythmically. Like exhale every other time your left foot hits the ground. He says that's why the military calls cadence when they run like, "On your left...." I tried it and it really helps. It mainly helps when I am running a little faster though. I hope this helps. I have asthma and really struggle with breathing when I run. Good luck!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you can keep up a faster pace on a treadmill than you can manage outdoors, it might be cold air making it difficult to breathe or allergies.

Alternate long runs at a slow pace you can maintain with intervals at a fast pace with walking breaks to get your speed up.
  • megankam
    megankam Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    how far and how long do you run?

I basically run 5km (3 point something miles) in 35-40 min
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You have to run at your body's pace and slowly work up. I used to be the same. I found that speed interval training helped with my endurance and keeps me from getting out of breath when running that little bit faster now. Alternate 2 minutes of jogging with 1 minute of sprinting/running for 30 minutes. It's a great workout aerobically and might help you.

Also, when you are running at a comfortable pace at which you don't lose your breath, keep your breathing rhythmic - in through the nose, out through the mouth. I usually take 3-4 steps in and 3-4 steps out, but make sure it's even!
  • megankam
    megankam Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanks! i'll definitely try to get into a breathing rythm
  • britneybowen
    britneybowen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My husband is in army and is an avid runner (Partly because he has to be, partly because he loves to run), he gave me some good advice. He said breathe rhythmically. Like exhale every other time your left foot hits the ground. He says that's why the military calls cadence when they run like, "On your left...." I tried it and it really helps. It mainly helps when I am running a little faster though. I hope this helps. I have asthma and really struggle with breathing when I run. Good luck!!

Rachael, I didn't know you had asthma! I have a mild case of it too. Whenever I run I get so out of breath so fast! Ugh.