Nic Fits...Help!!!

Options
I'm trying real hard to quit smoking but I can't seem to stop. One little thing throws me for a loop and I have to go and light up. The last time I quit was when I got pregnant...cold turkeyed it and stopped for 4 years...then started up again when I went back to work. Now it's harder then ever for me to quit...

Any suggestions???...HELP!!!

Replies

• WPBella
    Options
    I'm trying real hard to quit smoking but I can't seem to stop. One little thing throws me for a loop and I have to go and light up. The last time I quit was when I got pregnant...cold turkeyed it and stopped for 4 years...then started up again when I went back to work. Now it's harder then ever for me to quit...

Any suggestions???...HELP!!!
  • monica5237
    Options
    When you figure it out tell me I have been smoking for 25 years I was a very mature 11 years old when I started and I have not ever stopped I have tried many times to no avail:explode: so I can use the help too:smokin: :angry: :smokin::angry::smokin::mad: :smokin: :explode:
  • enkcott
    Options
    I smoked for 17 years. I FINALLY quit using the Chantix. I know there have been a lot of things said about it and the side effects but it worked like a charm for me and even though sometimes I think I still want to light up I don't. It was a life saver for me! It has been 1 1/2 years so far and I am so much more active than I used to be, now if I could just get rid of the 20 pounds I put on I would be doing okay! I would gladly take the 20 pounds over possible lung cancer or bladder cancer or any of the nasty diseases you get from smoking. Hang in there, you can do it!
  • bbright53
    Options
    I smoked for 35 years. (15-50 years old) I used the patch. You have to keep at it and it is just like losing weight, you have to be kind to yourself. If you slip up once just forgive yourself and don't light up another one.

I had long conversations with myself. When Dad had a heart attack caught myself wanting a cigarette on the way to the hospital. I finally had to tell myself that me having a cigarette wouldn't help dad and it wasn't what he would have wanted me to do. I had many of these type conversations and sometimes I would just stall. (Tell myself that I couldn't have one right now for whatever reason, but I could have one tomorrow. By tomorrow I would either stall myself again or most likely have forgotten all about it)
  • kirstina_23
    kirstina_23 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration. I've been smoking for 10 years! Tried once lasted 6 months. Now im trying again with my fiance (he's quitting too). Were putting the money away that we would be using to buy cigs for our honeymoon next year. So with thinking of my health when trying to get it cleaned for a baby and all the money we will save, in the end it's got to be mind over matter. I hope it works cause im tired of smoking and wasting money! Good luck to you, you did it before im sure you can do it again.:smile:
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Pay really close attention to what triggers your nic fits. When I quit I noticed that it was the common everyday things that would make me want one, so I had to change my routine. No more eating fast food, no more lounging on the couch after a meal, no more going out to bars. I had to change what was common so that the triggers weren't there. I also noticed that eating junk made me feel like crap and therefore a cigarette just made "sense." when I started eating healthy it didn't make sense to eat a healthy meal and then smoke afterward. Drink lots of water to help flush the nicotine out of your system. Keep baby carrots, celery, mini rice cakes, or any kind of "one bite at a time" kinda snack to satisfy the hand to mouth motion. And if your just not ready to give it up entirely, make it a game; when a nic fit kicks in, see how long you can put it off, 5 minutes? 10? 2? whatever it is, next time try for longer. Try to keep your hands and your mind busy. If you are at work and a nic fit hits, dive in to a project or reply to emails. If you are at home, unload the dishwasher, sort laundry, jump on the computer and blog. I hope these suggestions help and best of luck to you.
  • monica5237
    Options
    Pay really close attention to what triggers your nic fits. When I quit I noticed that it was the common everyday things that would make me want one, so I had to change my routine. No more eating fast food, no more lounging on the couch after a meal, no more going out to bars. I had to change what was common so that the triggers weren't there. I also noticed that eating junk made me feel like crap and therefore a cigarette just made "sense." when I started eating healthy it didn't make sense to eat a healthy meal and then smoke afterward. Drink lots of water to help flush the nicotine out of your system. Keep baby carrots, celery, mini rice cakes, or any kind of "one bite at a time" kinda snack to satisfy the hand to mouth motion. And if your just not ready to give it up entirely, make it a game; when a nic fit kicks in, see how long you can put it off, 5 minutes? 10? 2? whatever it is, next time try for longer. Try to keep your hands and your mind busy. If you are at work and a nic fit hits, dive in to a project or reply to emails. If you are at home, unload the dishwasher, sort laundry, jump on the computer and blog. I hope these suggestions help and best of luck to you.

I like your ideas as for today I am at work an dI can't go out for my breaks today or this entire week (we have big wigs here) so I have to think of ways to not want one and so far so good but all this talking about it makes me want one BAD:grumble: :grumble: but I will live LUNCH TIME COME ON BABY!!!! I have noticed I seem to smoke more since I have been losing weight I feel one thing at a time I am so scared of gaining all my weight back if I try too quit too soon
  • meganlkp
    Options
    Hi, I smoked for just over 14 years and was adamant that I'd never stop and it did my nut when people kept on pestering me to stop - if anything, it made me more determined to smoke!! LOL. Well, I was given a book written by Alan Carr - How to Stop Smoking.... I laughed thinking, "yeah right, like a books going to make me stop...jokers".

I read the book and throughout the entire book he insists you continue to smoke...which I duly did and I finished the book feeling...well, silly for smoking because I found that actually, i did not enjoy them as much as I thought I did...the book helped me see that.

Anyway, I smoked for 2 more weeks but everytime I had a ciggy, certain passages from the book kept poppinginto my head and I found I couldn't finish a full ciggy. Then finally, on the 2nd weekend after I had finished the book, I put my ciggy out before I went to bed at around 23:30pm...I got up at 08:30 on the Sunday and ...just did not fancy a *kitten* and that was it....i stopped smoking!! It wasn't a conscious thing, it just happened. I struggled for the 1st week but everytime I got a really bad urge for a ciggy...I'd have a huge glass of water and by the time I was done, the urge had gone :o)

Good luck in finding your solution but I highly recommend the book by Alan Carr x
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I am not a smoker but my husband has smoked since he was 13.

the patch: side effect...depression and he got it, so bad I actually did something horrible and went and bought him a pack of cigarettes.

the gum: he said it didn't work for him, he ended up chewing the gum and smoking so we had to get rid of that.

Nicitrol inhaler: I work for a dentist and he used my husband as a guinea pig. It worked but my husband started using it everywhere, even inside the mall and stuff so my boss determined that it was increasing his habit and dependence on nicotine.

commit lozenge: This has been the miracle lozenge. He didn't follow the plan at first (ok for about a year) but he didn't smoke either. He started with the 4mg lozenge and is now on the 2mg lozenge and he is using less and less of them each week. He has been smoke free for 2 years thanks to the lozenge and now he is using the program to break free of the lozenges. Costco has the best price.

Smoking is something that is a hard hard habit to break...as you know. Some people, like my dad, smoke their last cigarette and never look back. Others like my husband and my mom, have to try all the tricks before they finally quit. The nicotine in the non-smoking aids is not anymore harmful than in your cigarettes. My husband has started to replace the lozenges with candy and gum (I told him I would rather pay for fillings than lung cancer treatments). You may have to try a few tricks before you find one that works for you.

Good luck with it, Iknow my husband feels, smells and looks better since he gave up the cigarettes. You will too! :drinker: