Just need to do a little more!

Options
I'm so discouraged. I've been exercising and eating less for a long time. Still I have hardly lost any weight.

I'm on a 1 lb/week plan. My problem, I think (though I've been staying within the parameters of what myfitnesspal says I should do) is that I eat just a little too much and exercise just a little too little. I'm exercising 5X/week for about 25 minutes, including boxing and running and some mild weights. I'm eating about 1400 cal/day. I think I just need to do a little more to break the plateau.

Any one else have this problem?
Debbie

Replies

• imgonnawin
    Options
    Hey..
    When it tells you you have earned so many extra calories from doing exercise.. don't eat the extra calories! Stick to 1200 calories a day and that will fix the problem!!
  • DaisyMoo86
    Options
    Hey there.....ive been doing this diet for 7-8 weeks now and have lost 28lb, from 1-7lb a week.
    I very rarely exercise, sometimes only going for an hour walk on a sunday with the dog so i dont think its the exercise.
    I did find that changing my foods and not eating on the same things all the time helped me alot and it made me feel much better quicker. I almost never go over my calories and leave anything from 50 to 200 cals a day uneaten and im on 1650 a day.

add me as a friend and we can help each other.

xx
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    sometimes the scale just sticks for a while. I was stuck for a good 3 weeks and was doing everything right. and then this week I dropped almost 4 lbs....
    so don't get too discouraged. Do the best you can eating and exercising and dont worry about the number so much. it will follow! :-)
  • mocam
    mocam Posts: 1
    Options
    First of all, don't get discouraged. Half of losing weight and getting fit is the mental battle. The one thing I would suggest (based on what my physical trianer has told me) is to keep your heart rate elevated for 45 - 60 min per workout session and mix cardio and weights. This is a higher intensity workout and will burn more calories and fat. Also, maybe the foods you are eating are not the right combination for efficient "fuel burning". Try to choose foods that work together...like complex carbs and protein (ie a slice of pumpernickel bread with peanut butter)....and try as much as you can to stay away from anything "white" ...flour, sugar, etc...

Good luck :happy:
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Without seeing your diary and trying to look at this as away to become health, not just lose weight, I would say yes increase your exercise. i think all the new info points to 30 to 45 mins 6 day a week for health and isn't that what we really want/
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The scale is not always the best gage. Do you feel a difference in how your close fit? Have you taken your measurements? These are things you should check into expecially if your replacing fat with muscle. Don't get down on yourself. All improvements are great even if they're not as big as we hoped they would be. One more thing try to make sure your not eating too much high sodium food. I find that can kill me. Hang in there and keep pushing:flowerforyou:
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    You might also find the links below helpful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey