turkey bacon??

Options
I just started trying to eat healthy and I love bacon. I cant do the turkey bacon yet so I tried the Oscar Meyer Center cut because it looked like it has less calories than the turkey bacon for more slices. 3 slices is 60 calories and 4grams of fat, 1.5g sat fat. Am I being mislead by the label?

Replies

• justnicole08
    justnicole08 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started trying to eat healthy and I love bacon. I cant do the turkey bacon yet so I tried the Oscar Meyer Center cut because it looked like it has less calories than the turkey bacon for more slices. 3 slices is 60 calories and 4grams of fat, 1.5g sat fat. Am I being mislead by the label?
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    I read something interesting this weekend. It actually said to eat regular bacon instead of turkey bacon! In the brands that they compared ... the regular bacon had less sodium, but the same calories as turkey bacon. My conclusion (which is the same as the whipped cream/cool whip debate) ... eat the real stuff! :happy:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon is ok but to me it's not a replacement for bacon - I have chosed to eat 1 or 2 slices (instead of the old 3 or 4) and if with eggs, egg beaters instead of real eggs so that I've still made cut backs
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon is great I usually spray extra pam on it when frying and it turns out really crispy,
  • nickip
    Options
    turkey bacon is great and butterball makes a 1/2 the salt version if you're worried about sodium. you should also try fat free ham strips, they're good too and often come in different flavours if you're looking for variety.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    give me real pork ba-bay!!:drinker:
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh man... the real thing tastes better. Mmmm!

But if you want to really try an experiment, Morning Star makes a "Vegetarian" bacon, and it actually tastes OK. I use it most of the time, in sandwiches, etc, but my "Sunday treat" is a real egg and a real slice of bacon. Bacon. Mmmmmmm.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I used to be a true bacon fan. But honestly, I don't even miss it now. I eat the Jimmy Dean Hardwood Smoked Turkey Premium Bacon. I have found it to be the best all-around. I mean it's only 25 calories a slice and has got like 2g of fat. The sodium is 200mg and so worth it! I have two slices every morning along with some fruit as I head out the door.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon and turkey products are a little bit tricky because you really do have to read the labels. The turkey products and its calorie/fat count really depend on how much actual turkey fat they are using in that product. So you can actually get regular lean bacon that may be better for you than turkey bacon that is made mostly with turkey fat. That is why you can get ~lean ground turkey~ or ~extra lean ground turkey~ (which of course costs more because they are using less fat fillers)
    The biggest thing that drives me nuts is the turkey hot dogs because I can find one that has 40 calories and right next to it on the shelf is another brand where each one runs 150 calories. So I always try to check out the fat grams too.
    I am a breakfast fanatic too and also use turkey bacon and egg beaters now. My absolute favorite are the very thin sliced kind so it comes out crispier. YUMMM!
  • justnicole08
    justnicole08 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon and turkey products are a little bit tricky because you really do have to read the labels. The turkey products and its calorie/fat count really depend on how much actual turkey fat they are using in that product. So you can actually get regular lean bacon that may be better for you than turkey bacon that is made mostly with turkey fat. That is why you can get ~lean ground turkey~ or ~extra lean ground turkey~ (which of course costs more because they are using less fat fillers)

Thanks for the info! I though all turkey was equal. You just gave me a hands up on this whole thing :)