Need advice on where to set my daily caloric needs

Options
I'm a 30 year old man 202Lb 5'10 18% body fat. I'm trying to get down to 170lb and 10% body fat. I do about an hour of p90x 5 days a week and don't get much exercise otherwise. I've been keeping very close track of my calories on MFP for a month now but still am not sure I have my calories set right. I would like to lose 1.5 lb weekly for a couple months until I get closer to my goal but don't want to go under my BMR. Do I just need to workout more and eat more? I could use some input. I thought I understood what I was doing until I started adding my workouts to MFP and they skewed my caloric needs, now I'm just confused.

Thanks

Replies

• livinglife2day
    livinglife2day Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 170, then you need 1700 calories per day. You need 10 calories per pound of body weight. So, you multiply 10 calories times your goal weight. If you stick to that, you will lose weight. Then you stick to it to maintain your weight. Does that help you?

And one more thing....measure and weigh all your foods. You would be amazed at the difference. You may think you are just having one serving but if you weight and/or measure it...you will see a huge difference.

I hope this help you!

Terri
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 170, then you need 1700 calories per day. You need 10 calories per pound of body weight. So, you multiply 10 calories times your goal weight. If you stick to that, you will lose weight. Then you stick to it to maintain your weight. Does that help you?

That would take you years to get to 170, each pound would take longer and longer as your deficit becomes smaller and smaller, and the 10 cals/lb is not accurate, my maintenance is 1950 and I am 145 lbs.

Follow MFP put in your activity level without taking exercise into account, and choose to lose 1.5lbs/week. I am assuming it will put you somewhere between 1700 and 1900/day, but I could be wrong. Just follow MFP and enter your exercise and eat those extra caloires.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

If you are using the 10 - 12 calories per lb approach you use current weight not goal weight. It roungly equates to BMR at the bottom end of the scale.

So for the OP he should be eating in the 2,000 - 2,400 per day calorie range. This will work very well for him.

In all likelihood he needs to eating at the top end of that scale, say 2,200 and above given the amount of exercise he is doing. His maintenance must be around 3,000 calories per day.