Gluten Free ??

Options
:smile: Does anyone here follow a gluten free diet? I have Celiacs disease (newly diagnosed) and I am looking for recipes for gluten free food. I am tired of the blah of what I am eating now. I look forward to hearing from you.

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    if you dont mind me asking; how did you find out you were gluten intolerent? what are the symptoms?
  • sferrini
    sferrini Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. Both gluten and dairy free. I was diagnosed in 2007. Please let me know what I can help you with.
  • sferrini
    sferrini Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Daniface:

Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, weight loss, miscarriages, fatigue, head aches, stomach problems, diarrhea. These are the most common symptoms.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Are you from the UK? if so there is a wide gluten free variety out now! even gluten free baking powder so you can make your own cakes!

Genius bread is amazing and tastes like normal bread! There are a whole range of pasta products aswell. Its very hard to shop in the regular food isle when you trying to cut out gluten but your local major supermarket should have a "free from" range somewhere.

Doves farm is also well known for gluten free poducts.
  • Allegria14
    Options
    They are different for everyone. But my stomach would not stop screaming...even while I sleep. I gained actually 30 lbs since Thanksgiving and my stomach looked like I was 8 months pregnant. I never felt well, always tired and sluggish. I never felt like my food digested. I would purposely eat at 3:30-4:00pm my dinner and would be sitting in my bed until midnight digesting. I went to a gastroenterologist, and the only way to be positively tested is through a Gastroscopy. The doc needs to take plenty of biopsies in your duodenum (minimum 8) in different places. If I now eat gluten, I am in the bathroom for many hurtful hours.

My sister was also diagnosed, but she was the lucky one: she lost 20 lbs in 8 weeks. She also had a rash that would not go away, but that is not how she was diagnosed. She too had the Gastroscopy that showed Celiac Sprue.
  • Allegria14
    Options
    No, I am from the US. I would just love some new healthy recipes. I am learning slowly, sometimes I get down. I am Italian and love my bread and pasta. BUT I am coping.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    a year of slow cooking a great crock pot GF web site.
  • reilee3
    reilee3 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi,
    I was diagnosed back in October. You can find a lot of really great recipes online. I also bought a cookbook called Gluten Free Quick and Easy Cooking which has been wonderful. I wish you the best of luck! It can be really hard when you realize what you can't have anymore, but it has really helped with my weight loss because I can't have a lot of the stuff I used to eat. Good luck!
  • LisaFurr
    LisaFurr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I follow a gluten free diet and have for almost a year now. I have dropped about 45lbs since finding out that I am gluten intolerant. I have no more pain in my joints and no more swelling. Not to mention all of the intestinal issues have subsided. It was very hard in the beginning because I have a family to cook for as well. There are several good products on the market to replace pasta although I haven't really found a good gluten free bread. Rice pasta is really good and I also use spaghetti squash. My kids even like that. Being from the south where everything is battered and fried it is a challenge to eat and cook gluten free. Over time it has gotten easier and I have found that my life no longer revolves around food. Food is now a necesssity and not a luxury. I mainly do the meat and vegatables and keep it simple. You will find over time that your body no longer craves the breads, cakes and cookies and that is a blessing. Stay strong and embrace the change.
  • reilee3
    reilee3 Posts: 5
    Options
    Have you tried Udi's gluten free bread? I get it from Whole Foods in the freezer section. It is the best substitute I've tried.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    ezeikel srouted grain bread is also gluten free

ive been suspicious for a while that i might have some sort of intolerence, thanks for the info
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I follow a gluten free diet and have for almost a year now. I have dropped about 45lbs since finding out that I am gluten intolerant. I have no more pain in my joints and no more swelling. Not to mention all of the intestinal issues have subsided. It was very hard in the beginning because I have a family to cook for as well. There are several good products on the market to replace pasta although I haven't really found a good gluten free bread. Rice pasta is really good and I also use spaghetti squash. My kids even like that. Being from the south where everything is battered and fried it is a challenge to eat and cook gluten free. Over time it has gotten easier and I have found that my life no longer revolves around food. Food is now a necesssity and not a luxury. I mainly do the meat and vegatables and keep it simple. You will find over time that your body no longer craves the breads, cakes and cookies and that is a blessing. Stay strong and embrace the change.

Gluten Free Pantry makes a great mix called "favorite sandwich bread mix". They sell it at Whole Foods and Earth Fare. You can also order it through Amazon and use their subscribe and save feature, which gives free shipping plus a discount (15%??). I make it for my son, but I have tried it and it's pretty good. The bummer is that it is not Casein-free for those on a GFCF diet, but the small amount of milk doesn't seem to bother him and the bread is so much better than anything else we've found.
  • devoesick
    Options
    My son was diagnosed as a 2 year old almost 6 years ago. I was diagnosed 5 years ago along with my mother-in-law and her mother. So my son had it on both sides of the family.

My wife was tested 5 years ago, and was retested about 8 months ago after developing some symptoms. Her celiac disease had kicked in sometime over the past 5 years.

We were all confirmed celiac through the endoscopy biopsy.

We are lucky that we shop at Wegmans. It is quite easy to follow the diet now. I would suggest seeing if there is a celiac support group in your area. They are a great source for information on products you have available locally and restaurants with gf options.

some suggestions:

1. use erewhon gluten free rice cripies as a substitute for bread crumbs in everything, for example, meat loaf, meat balls. We also use it to bread chicken cutlets to make chicken fingers.

2. My son would eat Schar corn tagliatelle and spaghetti daily if I would let him. Walmart actually carries a gf penne and spaghetti. I think the brand is great harvest and it is by far the cheapest pasta. The Schar's pastas are around $4 per package and the Walmart is around $2 per package.

3. Udi's bread.

4. Kinnikinnick english muffins are excellent. Slice them in thirds or fourth and toast well.

5. We make a healthy salad that is instant brown rice, black beans, salsa, romaine lettuce, shreeded cheese and romaine lettuce and top it with some chicken breast. My son calls it "Moe's" at home. He loves Moe's burrito place. He gets a burrito bowl without the flour tortilla.

6. Eat lots of salads.

7. Chex cereals are now labeled gluten free.

If you are on the east coast and near a Wegmans, check them out. The put a G on the front of their branded products which are gluten free.

Good luck!
  • ad_deutsch
    Options
    Quinoa!!!!!

Seriously start eating meals based around Quinoa. It is a wonder grain. cooks like rice/barley but is packed with protein and is low on calories.

My wife and I make the following staple meal that feeds us both for under $5. And, it is gluten free!

Grain: 1 cup Quinoa cooked with herbs of your liking/some garlic

Sauce: In a blender, put spinach (about 2 cups) and any other vegetables you have around. We usually include a bell pepper and maybe tomato. This is a great way to get rid of veggies that are on the verge of going bad. Add some olive oil and blend. Add other spices to your liking, maybe some cheese ( I add Siracha for heat) This is your sauce

Protein: Take two chicken sausage links (We use Trader Joes jalepeno links with 90 calories each). Cut down the middle twice (quartered long way) then dice to little pieces. In a pan on low heat add olive oil then the sausage pieces until they get crispy.

Add it all together for a really good healthy meal!
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I try to cook gluten free. When I eat gluten I feel tired, bloated, and get intestinal pain, and my boyfriend has a skin condition that gets worse if he has gluten. In fact, when we were living/traveling in India his skin condition went away-- we think because he was eating rice based foods instead of wheat based!

One of my new favorite staples is POLENTA! So good! I usually buy it at Trader Joe's for $2. I get the kind that is premade and packaged. I usually cut it into slices, put in on a cookie sheet with a little olive oil, top it with my favorite veggies, and bake it. If you eat dairy, back it the same way but top with sauce, cheese, and veggies = AMAZING gluten free version of mini pizzas!

I recently discovered the rice pasta at Trader Joe's as well. For $2 a package, it is a steal! I cooked some last week, and even though the water became oddly thickened, when I rinsed the pasta it was fine. I ate it with pasta sauce and eggplant, and it tasted great! In fact, I just went to Trader Joe's and stocked up!

Hope this helps! And I hope you have a Trader Joe's nearby-- they have a lot of gluten free products :)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I just started to go gluten free. I'm waiting on my blood test results for gluten intolerance, but I think I will continue this way even if the test results are negative. I just feel so much better. I also have rheumatoid arthritis which is another autoimmune disease and it does seem like the autoimmunes go hand in hand.

I'm still collecting recipes and trying to make food plans.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    ezeikel srouted grain bread is also gluten free

I don't think so. They may not contain flour but they still contain the whole grains that have gluten. The first ingredient is sprouted wheat., the third, fourth, and fifth are malted barley, sprouted rye and sprouted barely. All contain gluten.

Food for Life (he makers of ezekiel) does show a few gluten free options on their website including gluten free english muffins.
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed Celiac 10 years ago..you already have some great suggestions. The Udi bread really is fantastic, I think I've tried every one available and its definitely the best!
    You can add me as a friend if you like and see my food diary...as a friend can you see my recipes? I have some gluten free dinners I make in there...
  • Shellndub
    Shellndub Posts: 72
    Options
    HI,
    I recently ( about 7 mo. ago ) was diagnosed with Gluten, Almond,Egg intollerence. My gut would hate me and I have had severe migraines for the last few years. I feel your pain.
    I have regained (after losing 30lbs of baby weight with my 3 yr old son)
    I find it a challenge for eating. I'm not a big "chef". I like things simple. I do best with that. Protein shakes, fruit, simple proteins-chicken/turkey.
    I can give you support just not too many recipes ..lol.
    glutenfreegoddess or celiac.com good websites for information.
    Hope that helps :-)
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump