Question about recording exercise

Options
erniemj
erniemj Posts: 187 Member
Hello - if there is already a thread or sticky explaining this, please point me in the right direction -

I am having a hard time figuring out the MFP exercise tracker - which in my mind is not as intuitive as the food tracker -

I am on Day 5 of P90x Lean, and today's exercise is a variety of strength training exercises, pull-ups, squats, etc - my question is, how do I record this in the tracker - do I have to track each individual exercise by name, weight, and reps?

Also - why doesn't the exercise tracker add calories to your food diary for strength training (or at least I think it does not - I have only used it once so far for this purpose) - but I played around a lot with it and can't seem to figure it out -

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I think alot of people starting out on things like P90x, 30DS etc struggle with figuring out how to log your calories. I know I did!! Still do whenever I start a new routine. People's way of doing it varies. Heart rate monitors during exercising is the easiest way to track it for the cardio section so that you can keep track of the 'exercise' calories you earn. As for the strength portion, if you are tracking that, I've only found that you have to add it in the initial time and then it should stay on your MFP for adding the next time.

I'll definitely be checking back though in case there is an EASIER way of doing this!
  • scott51367
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out why strength training exercises aren't deducted from calorie intake for calories burned. It seems that only cariovascular exercises are credited. Anyone know why? A calorie burned is a calorie burned.
  • AlexD3
    AlexD3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I could not figure that one out either. I keep all my exercises ( to include weight circuit training) tracked under the cardiovascular area.

I wear a heart monitor that gives me a pretty good idea of how many calories I'm burning and log that information over the default values. My numbers are more conservative (lower). So, I don't add so many calories to my program for doing the exercise. The most important thing is that you are staying active and burning calories against your alloted amount for the day. From your tracker, it looks like you are having great success.

"Do your Best & Forget The Rest!" You know who... ;-)
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I believe you can add strength in the cardio portion to get the calories burned.
  • Megthatgirl
    Megthatgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There is an option for weight lifting in the Cardio, scott... Idk if that will help or not!!

But I know that when I do the 30 day shred, I log it as curcuit training. And thats been fairly accurate compared to some of my friends that weigh about the same and have heart monitors.
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out why strength training exercises aren't deducted from calorie intake for calories burned. It seems that only cardiovascular exercises are credited. Anyone know why? A calorie burned is a calorie burned.

Those are the bonus calories!

Suggest you record the time you do exercise and record it under cardiovascular as "strength training" or "gymnastics". Immediate caloric gains are not huge, but indirect benefits significant: muscle growth and generally better health.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If you want calories burned for strength training, you have do add it to strength training under cardio..yes there is a section...and if you are doing sit-up,push-up, try adding it under cardio under Calisthentics(sp)..its there...or if you have a HRM you can create your own excercise...
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    I could not figure that one out either. I keep all my exercises ( to include weight circuit training) tracked under the cardiovascular area.

I wear a heart monitor that gives me a pretty good idea of how many calories I'm burning and log that information over the default values. My numbers are more conservative (lower). So, I don't add so many calories to my program for doing the exercise. The most important thing is that you are staying active and burning calories against your alloted amount for the day. From your tracker, it looks like you are having great success.

"Do your Best & Forget The Rest!" You know who... ;-)
    I do the same and agree 100% good luck and great job
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM log it as circuit training.
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    wow....these are my first compliments from "strangers" - I have to say I smiled! I am definitely doing it the traditional, old-fashioned way of tracking calories, eating healthier and exercising - no shortcuts here!!

Thank you all for the assistance - glad to know I am not the only one -

And a HRM is my next investment - I bought dance sneakers for my Zumba (definitely needed them - I was doing it in bare feet - but on a gymnastics floor, and ankles and arches and shins would hurt) , so I have to wait a bit to purchase the HRM - its my next priority!
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I bought my HRM first and my next mini-goal will land me a pair of new running shoes!!! Good luck and you can add me if you like...if you are in need for any new MFP pals!!!
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    a tried and true HRM the Garmin 405CX. It uses your heart rate to calculate calories burned. I just turn the GPS off and do a simple workout when I’m not running outside to still use the calorie thingy. The 410 has the same feature but the regular 405 does not.-Quoted from a friend who loves here. I am thinking about getting one too.