Sweat in Your Sleep???

Options
I am posting this in fitness, because I think the two are related. But does anyone sweat in the sleep? I wake up between 2-4 nights a week 100% drenched in sweat, the sheets are even wet (gross I know, but that is what this place is for). I have fan going, kick the covers off, light weight blanket, doesn't matter. I am cold going to bed, so I snuggle up, get hot, get cold again.

Is there any connection between body functions/fitness and this night time sweating?

- Holly

Replies

• EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I thought it was pre-menopausal...LOL!!!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? It's very common for those who suffer from it to get very hot and sweaty at night.
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! The same exact thing is happening to me. I was hoping it had nothing to do with night sweats (as I am too young for that--atleast in my opinion).
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I don't eat well, eat a meal close to bedtime and has lots of carbs... When I am bang on on my nutrition plan, this doesn't happen to me... Have you noticed what you eat those days?
  • twhitmore22
    twhitmore22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That has been happening to me also. Thought maybe it was my thyroid again.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have this off and on. For me, it has to do with going to bed cold and then my body temp ups during the night making me hot. I talked to the doc about it and she said our natural high temp is around 3:00 am so if you cuddle up when you go to bed - you're going to be hot around 3:30.

Frankly, since I've really UPPED my exercise, I haven't had the issue. But who knows if/when it will come back. Of course, I'm cold all.the.time now. I never had that problem before - I sweat on the treadmill (I'm on it 3 times a day - morning, noon, and night literally) and cold the rest of the time - lol.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I don't eat well, eat a meal close to bedtime and has lots of carbs... When I am bang on on my nutrition plan, this doesn't happen to me... Have you noticed what you eat those days?

I had heard other people talking about this, but my diet was spot on yesterday. Last dry carb I had was at 330 in the afternoon, pre workout. After that is was protein and veggies.

Even if we don't find a solution, we can be a support group, haha. "Hello, my name is Holly and I sweat like a man in my sleep."
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    In spite of thousands of years of research, the human body is still such a mystery.

Personally, I've been exercising all my life and never started having night sweats until I was in my late 20's. It's been happening ever since. My doctor says I'm peri-menopausal. Don't ever let anyone tell you you are too young or too old for anything because you are not. That said, however, I'm not completely convinced I am peri-menopausal though I leave room for the possibility to exist.

I would, however, like to point out a correlation between eating protein late at night and intense night sweats, which makes complete sense if you think about it. Protein requires more energy to digest, which turns up the metabolism. Combine this with being snuggly in a warm bed at night and I'm pretty sure you have the perfect making of an oven that would cause even the most frigid person to sweat, or at very least to get quite warm.

Oh, and one more thing, I definitely notice I sweat significantly more when I eat protein close to bedtime AND I'm close to my monthly cycle. A woman's monthly cycle increases her metabolism significantly, especially during the first three days prior and of (good to know because you can use these few days to really burn some significant calories). Because metabolism increases within those three days, you'll notice your appetite increases approximately 3-7 days prior and diminishes by about the first or third day. Too, you'll usually notice a surge of energy in the 1-3 days prior. For me it's always the day before.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help, but here's an article on the most common causes of night sweats: http://www.webmd.com/menopause/guide/8-causes-of-night-sweats
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I used to get night sweats when I was on anti-depressants. I get it to a far lesser degree when I work out very hard late into the evening.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    In spite of thousands of years of research, the human body is still such a mystery.

Personally, I've been exercising all my life and never started having night sweats until I was in my late 20's. It's been happening ever since. My doctor says I'm peri-menopausal. Don't ever let anyone tell you you are too young or too old for anything because you are not. That said, however, I'm not completely convinced I am peri-menopausal though I leave room for the possibility to exist.

I would, however, like to point out a correlation between eating protein late at night and intense night sweats, which makes complete sense if you think about it. Protein requires more energy to digest, which turns up the metabolism. Combine this with being snuggly in a warm bed at night and I'm pretty sure you have the perfect making of an oven that would cause even the most frigid person to sweat, or at very least to get quite warm.

Oh, and one more thing, I definitely notice I sweat significantly more when I eat protein close to bedtime AND I'm close to my monthly cycle. A woman's monthly cycle increases her metabolism significantly, especially during the first three days prior and of (good to know because you can use these few days to really burn some significant calories). Because metabolism increases within those three days, you'll notice your appetite increases approximately 3-7 days prior and diminishes by about the first or third day. Too, you'll usually notice a surge of energy in the 1-3 days prior. For me it's always the day before.

I think you might be on to something with the protein thing. Two nights ago I woke up drenched and what had I eaten.... A sliced steak sandwich and it was closer to bed time then I normally eat!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • genst
    genst Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It could have something to do with your hormones. After the birth of my son I had bad night sweats for a short period of time. I also notice an increase in temp at similar times during my cycle so it could be linked to ovulation. Ask your doctor
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well and have off and on for as long as I can remember. I think it is a temp fluctuation for me because I actually wake up FREEZING even though I am drench in sweat. I have never talked with a doc about it...who knows maybe I should.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was wondering WHY in the heck I get so hungry about a week before my period...now I know it's from increased metabolism? that makes sense to me....WOW interesting! Thanks for the information.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know it was so common.

I have had this on and off for a while. It's been most recent in the last few months. I wake up at 3 or 5 in the morning DRENCHED - like I would of just stepped off an hour treadmill workout. I always am then freezing so I throw my top off and sleep without it. I then ended up sleeping shirtless to avoid being frigid and cold in the wee morning. It worked though - correlation or notr it helped me. I never sweated in my lower extremities. or not that I know of.

But seriously.. this protein thing will have me thinking if it happens again.

very interesting thread! thanks OP.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options

I had heard other people talking about this, but my diet was spot on yesterday. Last dry carb I had was at 330 in the afternoon, pre workout. After that is was protein and veggies.

Even if we don't find a solution, we can be a support group, haha. "Hello, my name is Holly and I sweat like a man in my sleep."

LOL!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    yeah i heat up alot when it's a week before my period. it is just odd waking up damp like you slept out side in humid weather lol
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    yup
    im a man & i get this!!
    i don't allways sweat but get that hot i can't sleep!
    even with the window open (england cold) : )
    i have found if ive really worked out cardio wise i have no problem, as i drop off straight away and never wake till morn!!

CBS
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i do that to sometimes. i mostly do it when the seasons change from hot to cold or cold to hot and the temp changes back and forth til it decides to be good. also in summer when it is cool at night and hot in morning.