Office Snacks Everywhere

Options
I am struggling today to keep away from the candy and girl scout cookies sitting right outside of my office door. I keep telling myself that I don't want that stuff, I will have to put in an additional 1/2 hour of gym time to burn off those calories but my mouth is still watering. What kind of mental tactics do you use to avoid office snacks?

Replies

• pretentiouskate
    Options
    When I'm really craving something I actually let myself have a little bit of it - half a cookie, a couple of Skittles or whatever - usually they aren't as good as I've decided they will be, and I don't want any more after that.
  • jadorex40x
    jadorex40x Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    hi i agree as long as you can do it have a little of what you fancy, the fact that you are telling yourself you can't have them just makes the craving twice as bad, and you seem to want the so called forbidden fruit, isn't everything in moderation the key?
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I pack all of my food for the day before leaving for work, and put all of my day's food into MFP. That way I can see what I'm going to be eating and when, no surprises. I only eat what's in my cooler while I'm at work, and only what I have planned when I get home. Works well for me.
  • Behavioral
    Options
    Eat a good breakfast first. I generally have 2 slices delightful bread toasted with an egg cooked with a tbs. of salsa and a slice of cheese. Then a cup of coffee. If I still want it, then I can just have a little and feel satisfied.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Log what your thinking of eating into your food diary. That way you can make an educated decision whether you really want it!
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Until you learn to fight off cravings and be able to sit in the room with all the food we all love and not have to have it , you will always be it's prisoner. Different things work for different people but I would start by trying to understand why you want the cookie and determine is it an physical, emotional, or trained response to the cookie/candy. I think you will find most of it is just trained responses to food like if you ring a bell everytime you feed a dog after a while you ring the bell the dogs mouth will start to salavate it just takes time to unlearn these habits.
  • inittowinit77
    Options
    I say to myself, "give it 15 minutes" and if after 15 minutes I am still feeling vulnerable, I drink a glass of water and look up how many calories each item would be. If it fits into my (calorie) budget and I am not sacrificing healthy meals/snacks later then I go for it. I have the same struggles at my work and I actually plan a "sweet" snack each day (I bring a girl scout cookie to work each day in a single serving baggie and write the calories right on the bag), it helps keep me from eating mindlessly throughout the day.
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    I am an all or nothing dieter which is horrible. I'm trying hard to work on this problem. I need to learn moderation but for some reason if I have anything that I consider "junK" my day of eating healthy is blown so I guess I'll just keep eating junk the rest of the day. This site is helping since I can see that 10 M & M's does not ruin my day. I'm a work in progress. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • D_elCoop1216
    Options
    I always keep almonds, granola bars, wheat thins, fruit crisps, and string cheese at my desk. However, we aren't permitted to eat at our desks, so I have to walk out to eat it, which is sometimes hard when I'm busy. Eat before you get to work and bring healthy snacks to store in your desk drawer! If you are craving, allow yourself something little to fix the craving and move on... if you deprive yourself, you'll just want it more. I always allow myself a little bit of chocolate everyday (whether it be in a granola bar, or a few m&ms.) :)
  • kimd1974
    Options
    I like this. I'm going to give it a try. Everything in life in moderation.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Are there goodies at work all the time? If so, I might make it a rule that I only have some of those treats at work on a certain day, like Thursday. So on Monday I wold know that Thursday is my treat day. Then eat only a serving size.

Or you could factor it in to your calories for the day. A little less at breakfast or lunch so you could have some.
  • kimd1974
    Options
    Are there goodies at work all the time? If so, I might make it a rule that I only have some of those treats at work on a certain day, like Thursday. So on Monday I wold know that Thursday is my treat day. Then eat only a serving size.

Or you could factor it in to your calories for the day. A little less at breakfast or lunch so you could have some.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I hear ya. Where I work we have an outside sales team. Any time a sales team member comes in they bring some sort of treats for the crew. Anything from donuts, bagels and cream cheese to flavoured nuts and chips.

It's almost a constant steady flow of incoming food and none of it fits into my plan. I just revert back to something I read on Men's Health. Pack your lunch cooler with good stuff. More than enough good stuff to last you the day at work. And never ... ever, eat something thats not in the cooler.

I sometimes get back home with fruit left in my cooler. I'm Ok with that. Knowing I won't go hungry helps me stay away from the donuts
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Gum and water or hot tea help too
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Log what your thinking of eating into your food diary. That way you can make an educated decision whether you really want it!

This is exactly what I do and it works every time.. warded off many a bad choice but seeing the numbers in black & white!