A fresh start to an old problem.....

Options
AngieMMc
AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
Hello everyone! My name is Angie and I am a food-a-holic! Glad I got that outta the way =)
I am a 39 year old mother of a 9 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. I work full time in a highly stressful job and our life is very very busy! My husband is naturally thin and seems to be able to eat anything, anytime and me, well....not so much. I have never been thin but when I met him 12 years ago, I guess I just thought I could eat like he does. So, for the last 12 years I have been doing just that...on top of having two children! Unfortunately, while my husband gained only 30 lbs and and is still very thin, I have gained about 102 lbs. Adding 102 lbs to an already overweight body - not a good thing.

At one point I ballooned up to 277 lbs. In the Summer of 2009 I made yet another attempt to lose and lost about 28 lbs but fell off the weight loss wagon and stopped trying. About 7 weeks ago I started a "motivational type competition" with some friends and since then I've lost 17 lbs. I finally joined the 21st century and got an iphone and this was the first app I loaded and LOVE it!

I've been big for so long, I don't even know where to set my goals, but i do know that my very first goal is to be in what I see everyone calling ONE-der-land.......It's been so long since I've been there I can't imagine what it must feel like! Reading the struggles that everyone has here and seeing the success of several who are in the same situation as I am currently in......it's very empowering and inspirational. I know it's going to be a long journey, but I really want to finish this time........

Replies

• khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You have landed in the right place to begin to make positive changes. Good luck on your journey!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck
  • mamacath
    mamacath Posts: 51
    Options
    hello & welcome .... .. you can do this and everyone here is always there to support you .. wishing You the best of luck on this amazing journey :flowerforyou:
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Welcome. After only being a part of this "family" 3 weeks, I can tell you I LOVE IT! AND have already lost 9lbs. You can do it! We are here for you!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Welcome, to the new lifestyle rollercoaster. I say that jokingly by the way.But that is how my weight loss journey has been since the 1st of the year. But it's okay, it's a learning process of what I can and can't eat that will mess me up. Take one day at a time, don't be so hard on yourself and put your goal as your #1 priority in your life.. Make time for YOU, so that you can become the new person you want to be.. Good Luck...
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MFP is one of the best places to be for turning your lifestyle into a healthier one. Just remember, you have to be able to live with your changes - this is a lifestyle change and not just a diet. That's how you'll get through. Take it one step at a time and slowly change your habits. Over time you'll find that you eat a lot healthier and actually crave those healthier food (trust me). One day the unhealthy foods will also make you feel REALLY REALLY bad when you eat them (I know that now too). So much, that you will only think to eat well.

Anyway, just thought I'd post some encouragement! Just take it one day at a time, one pound at a time, and one work out at a time. :flowerforyou: You'll be able to go far. Look at the big picture too - don't get discouraged when you go for a few weeks without losing anything, and just keep working. :smile:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Good luck! This is truly a great place for motivation, add some friends and you'll see what I mean!!!! I started doing this journey on my own, and lost about 10 pounds or so, and then re-joined this site and really started using it and have lost so much faster!!! I'm halfway to my goal and I couldn't be happier!!! It's not about the number on the scale alone for me, but also how I look and feel in my own skin, so even though I'm not there yet, I'm getting there!!

Feel free to add me if you like, I'm on here every day and love to send encouraging words when I can!
  • krishall72
    Options
    i lost 80lbs a few years ago, but after my home burned i slowly started gaining back. now i have 50lbs to loose all over. my point is that i lost the weight and kept it off for about two years then quit watching what i ate and it started packing back on. you can loose the weigh. what you cant do is revert back to old habits when its gone. you dont have to deny yourself the tasty foods you love for the rest of your life. but everything in moderation. good luck. c u on the skinny side.
  • outdoorsmom
    outdoorsmom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welcome and you have come to the right place. Good luck on your weight loss journey! May you find the support you need here, Lord knows I have. I have been on here 10days and have lost 5lbs. I feel very motivated to excerise now with the support of my new MFP friends. feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. Laurie
  • jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    Options
    Welcome! I can understand what you're saying- my husband is naturally thin also-I've realized I can not eat like him and the kids. So I do have to cook 2 different meals most days, but I can't eat like them if I want to lose weight. Good Luck!
  • TessyMore
    TessyMore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good job! Welcome you're gonna do great!!
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!!
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    it seems like alot of gals, have the slender husband, that never gains, and eats like a horse. I know i did. Just makes it harder for us. The last year before my husband passed, he had to have very high calorie foods to try to keep the weight on. I used to say that i was taking one for the team, eating the same type foods as he did. I am now turning to fresh fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth for the most part. I was just checking the calorie counter, and was amazed at how low cal the fruit is. :smile: