Pull ups - Resistance bands or chair assist?

Options
pyrowill
pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
Hi

I'm starting my second week of P90x and I have just got some resistance bands, I have some dumbells but didn't want to keep changing the weight. Anyway my question is: I can't do a pull up, therefore would it be better if I did chair assisted ones (I feel my legs help me out bit too much though) or should I use the resistance bands?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm starting my second week of P90x and I have just got some resistance bands, I have some dumbells but didn't want to keep changing the weight. Anyway my question is: I can't do a pull up, therefore would it be better if I did chair assisted ones (I feel my legs help me out bit too much though) or should I use the resistance bands?

use the chair, but move the chair further in front of you so you are barely able to touch it at the top of the pull up. You can even do negatives, use the chair to help get you to the top then lower yourself without the assistance of the chair.
  • DeadZip2010
    DeadZip2010 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i agree, the bands could make it unsafe depending upon how you use them. I would go with the chair. as time goes your back will learn the propper form and start to get stronger. go with the chair and as erickirb said, just move it further away from you if you feel your leg is helping too much.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal preference. It's not convenient for me to get to a doorway to do pull-ups so I use resistance bands on a different closer door. You can keep adding more resistance to the bands to keep challenging yourself. I took me a few workouts to figure out which worked best for me. In the end, I think if you are "feeling the burn" and getting your heart rate up I'm not sure if it makes much difference.
  • Von203
    Von203 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I was rehabing my hand from a torn tendon surgery, I obviously lost a lot of my pull-up ability. I started with the chair, but found out quickly I was becoming a little too reliant on it. I then started doing jumping pull-ups and focused on the negative on the way down. As they become easier, don't jump as forcefully as you were. My hand is now better than ever, and I'm doing more pull-ups than ever.....pushing 30 in a set.
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    I'm on my second week as well! I have an older house that really can't support a pull up bar so I have to use the band. I just shut them in a door and if I need more resistance I can easily change. I have a gym at work so on Friday's I go get a little extra cardio and use the machines there when I feel I didn't quite get a good enough workout from my bands... There are lots of options!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Personally I like doing the chair assist better, because I'm really trying to get to the point where I can do a 'real' pullup! I'm using resistance bands at the moment though because I haven't had time to put up the pullup bar in my new apartment.

Like everyone else said, as long as you're pushing yourself and feeling the burn, it doesn't matter. It's just personal preference.