No-one likes anything i cook anymore

Options
Painten
Painten Posts: 499 Member
I like cooking, trying new recipies baking etc. I like watching cookery programmes and trying them recipies. The problem is that now i'm trying to be healthier no-one like anything i cook. Everyone complains it's all too bland with no flavour. My family is used to me cooking and i hate cooking more than one meal so i don't but i am having to put up with the complaining from oh apart him having to cook his own food again and again. I also liked the fact people used to think i was a good cook. Now there isn't anything i can do, that was pretty much my only talent.

How do people put up with it?

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I actually make 2 meals. Actually, last night we had rigatoni with turkey meat sauce. It was good but I didn't have the meat with mine. Some days, I'll make their dinner and I'll just have a salad. It doesn't bother me to make 2 meals, just as long as my family eats.
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    Taco seasoning adds flavor to meat without killing your diet. Fam can have proper tacos while you enjoy a taco salad. So good!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    try adding more herbs & spices 2 the meals. also i use a no salt sodium free salt "made by original's" so i can add more salt without the worry of adding sodium. there r also salt free spices out there as well.

i've done that & it's helped tremendously. i find that i don't need as much salt anymore as well so that could b what's actually affectin the taste of the food. whereas every1 else is use 2 saltin their foods a lot.

hope this helps :flowerforyou:

ps: besides if they complain i ask them what do they think can b done 2 improve the taste. it's pretty much just tweeking it once u've cooked it.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Well, that's hard - I suspect what they're missing is the fat and the salt. Fat and salt being what generally tastes good. You could always try throwing spice at them - heavy handed with spices (I like garlic and also hot things like red pepper flakes) - will make a flavor impact.

Also if they're eating crap outside of the home, and then coming home to healthy meals, they're going to notice the lack of those yummy fats and salts more than if they're eating healthy foods all the time.

What are some of the things that you've been making?
  • kylegeisler
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Do what is ultimately right for all of you. let them make their own food if they are too ungrateful to eat yours without complaining.
  • Manda1987
    Manda1987 Posts: 207
    Options
    Healthy food doesn't have to be bland. You can still have spices and sauces to brighten things up, you just have to shift the focus from fat-based to other bases and skip on the pre-made stuff. Since I started eating healthier, my fiance has started complimenting me MORE on my cooking! There are tons of ways to experiment with healthy foods.

For instance, I hate steamed vegetables. I think they're bland and gross. Instead, I'll sautee them in white wine and a splash of lemon juice with garlic or brush them with a little olive oil, sprinkle them with sea salt and pepper and grill them. Bam, tons of flavour. I do a lot of tomato based sauces. I use a lot of garlic and a lof of spices/herbs. I've taken naughty meals from the past, like nachos, and turned them into something healthier like taco salad.
  • jadorex40x
    jadorex40x Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I quite agree the fact that you cook a meal for your family and i take it sit and eat together is an acheivment as this day and age alot of families don't or can't eat together but you are looking after there health and they should put up shut up or make there own, plus as an extra input i am sure your meals are tasty enugh they just need to get used to the change from the so called old meals you cooked, x
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I somewhat have that problem. I started buying whole wheat everything, and they got mad. Now I buy a nice healthy bread for me, and a whole-wheat white bread for them. Or I buy Hillbilly bread. I buy 1 percent milk for me, and 2 percent milk for them. They don't like whole wheat pancakes. So I make regular buttermilk pancakes, and watch my portions. I make most of the same dinners I did before, but use wholeweat pasta in place of regular. I kept trying different brands until they stopped complaining. Looks like Aldis Fit and Active Whole Wheat pasta is a winner. When I make baked potatoes, I eat the smallest one, and make sure it is a good tasting potato(yellow or red) and use a small amount of reduced calorie margarine.

Say I make beef stroganoff. I use whole wheat noodles, make it how I normally would, but I don't add the sour cream to it. They don't like sour cream anyway, and if they did, they could add it to their own. I watch my portion on it, and eat lots of salad on the side. So, maybe you could go back to some of your old recipes, and just tweak them a bit, eat less of them, and eat lots of veggies with dinner to fill you up. Are you using less salt? They can salt their own dishes. Also, sea salt has more flavor, so you can use less of it.

I am easing in new healthy recipes. If I started a bunch of new recipes at once it would be disasterous. I try to only do one new recipe a week. If they don't like it, I don't make it again. Try the Cooking Light Magazine. It may have changed its name. It is made by Taste of Home. Always awesome recipes.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Healthy cooking doesn't have to be bland cooking, all you need to do is more research into healthy cooking, try hungrygirl.com for starters.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Taste test & season!!! I have a pantry full of spices, and they make all the difference. Plus, most of them are zero cal or very low cal. I keep the following on hand and use at the discretion of what I'm cooking - garlic powder, ground black pepper, sea salt or kosher salt, basil, oregano, sage, rosemary, ground white pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, dill, celery salt, cinnamon, fennel seeds, bay leaf and a few others that I don't use as regularly. If you're unsure, add a little of something and simmer for a couple minutes. Taste, and if it seems bland add more. Just be sure you log those tastes (or get someone else in your family to do your taste testing) - and I know we're supposed to limit our sodium intake, but salt IS necessary to help bring out the flavors of some foods.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

I agree with this and add to the list: Crushed red pepper, fresh garlic, fresh onion, sea salt adds great flavor and you use less so less sodium for more taste. I personally use different types of sea salt (different colors, textures, etc).........
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Your doing great, just keep trying to perfect those recipes, you can do it! I see a lot of healthy foods cooked on shows and they look so yummy! you just need to keep pacticing and get a bigger spice cabinet...LOL. Your family wil come around, it takes time they will get used to it. I wish I had you cooking healthy dinners for me, I wouldn't take you for granted! I have cooked in resturants all my life and now I just hate cooking but I still have to do it! I was looking at a magazine last at Costco, "Cooking Clean", that looked like a great magazine to try recipes from! just give it time, your doing a wondeful thing.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Why is the food you cooking too bland? There are herbs & spices that you can use to seasoning it up. You can make your own healthy marinades using virgin olive oil as your base. Green, Red & Yellow Bell Peppers are excellent for seasoning also.

Try this:

Just last night I made extra lean turkey burgers mixed with precooked)Stove Top Stuffing Low Sodium Mix (chicken flavor), Mrs. Dash chicken seasoning and minced garlic topped it off with lettuce, tomato, thinnly sliced provolone cheese, teaspoon of ketchup and 1 slice of bacon. The family loved it...hubby, 18 yr old, 10 & 9 yr old all gave it raved reviews.

Burger Calories 133 for 4 oz (weighed before cooking)
    Burger with Nature's Own Sandwich Thins Multi Grain and all the fixings 271 calories

I mixed the box of stuffing in 40oz of Turkey meat. Each burger weighed 4 oz before cooking. I have left over mixed turkey/stuffing for tonight...(turkey loaf maybe). Pan was sprayed with Pam.

Oh and do not use butter in the stuffing. Its not needed.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My family every now and then is open to eating what I cook, but not usually. It genuinely hurts my feelings, it's been a big problem for me. My sister refuses to try it, if she knows it's vegetarian, she's made up her mind it's not going to be good. Im going to cooking school for goodness sakes :/
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Taste test & season!!! I have a pantry full of spices, and they make all the difference. Plus, most of them are zero cal or very low cal. I keep the following on hand and use at the discretion of what I'm cooking - garlic powder, ground black pepper, sea salt or kosher salt, basil, oregano, sage, rosemary, ground white pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, dill, celery salt, cinnamon, fennel seeds, bay leaf and a few others that I don't use as regularly. If you're unsure, add a little of something and simmer for a couple minutes. Taste, and if it seems bland add more. Just be sure you log those tastes (or get someone else in your family to do your taste testing) - and I know we're supposed to limit our sodium intake, but salt IS necessary to help bring out the flavors of some foods.

I agree with this and add to the list: Crushed red pepper, fresh garlic, fresh onion, sea salt adds great flavor and you use less so less sodium for more taste. I personally use different types of sea salt (different colors, textures, etc).........

And to add to that, lemon juice, sliced black olives, sprinkles of cheese, onion, mushrooms, all can be added to dishes to increase their flavor. It takes a while for people to get used to what natural food tastes like, if they're used to eating processed, msg laden, salt and sugar drenched foods.
  • emby
    emby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So get your family involved in the cooking! My oldest daughter (14) has just decided to be a vegetarian, so I told her she needed to learn how to cook some tasty vegetarian meals.

I don't cook separate meals. But don't forget, along with spices, you can also add salsa to almost anything for a flavor boost. We recently got everyone to like cauliflower because I roast it till it's crispy around the edges, then I drizzle it with hot wing sauce. Now my younger daughter eats the hot wing sauce on anything.

Remember, you're here and you're making an effort to improve your health. And by cooking for your family, you're trying to improve their health as well. You're showing love for your family, and that's not nothing! So you have to adapt some of your cooking skills. That's not such a big deal. Maybe you could ask for some of their favorites and work on making those leaner, instead of introducing something altogether new.
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I am a vegetarian so a lot of things I cook, I have to make sure I can make it non-vegetarian as well for my bf. So like for tacos, I will usually make one chicken/beef filling and one beans/vegan soy filling. That way its not entirely two separate meals.

Or, I cook a lot of indian food as well, which he doesn't mind eating, but it usually doesn't fill him up, so I'll use the curry and grill a piece of chicken along with the meal so he can eat that as well.

I know sometimes it can be tiring but I figure if I want to be healthy than I have to put in a little more effort. An easy way is just to prepare the base without adding extra ingredients, i.e. cheese, meat, etc and then setting some aside prior to adding anything that someone else might want in there.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

And to add to that, lemon juice, sliced black olives, sprinkles of cheese, onion, mushrooms, all can be added to dishes to increase their flavor. It takes a while for people to get used to what natural food tastes like, if they're used to eating processed, msg laden, salt and sugar drenched foods.

Yes, exactly right!!

It takes the taste buds at a minimum 10 times of tasting something to adapt to the new taste.

The best advice is to keep doing what your doing and your family's pallette will change!! It takes time. Please ask your family to be patient with you and also keep in mind to be patient with them as they are going through changes too.
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Learn to substitute. Instead of mixing sour cream into enchilada filling, use greek yogurt, or fat free/light sour cream. Use the 98% fat free cream of chicken/mushroom instead of the full fat. Use butter substitute, and replace oil with applesauce in baked goods. I personally don't like my food super salty, even before my lifestyle change, so I usually taste test and make it to my my salt level liking, but always make sure to keep salt at the table for him. When buying cheese, get the 2% milk kind....start off with little changes like this that simply disguise the health factor in their meals. If you put a plate of plain pasta and steamed veggies in front of them, they may complain, but if they don't know the difference...everyone's happier (and healthier!). :)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i eat my normal dinners, i just have a smaller portion, and more vegis