Losing inches (along with pounds)....

Options
After three weeks of doing INSANITY (and having lost 8.8 pounds so far), I decided to take my measurements again to see the progress.....but what I saw only angered me immensely. Not only did some of my measurements INCREASE (most annoyingly, my waist!), but those that did shrink (like chest) only shrunk by 0.25 inches.

My husband thinks I was bloated because we did this at the end of a day rather than in the morning, plus PMS....but I am not so sure.

How fast should inches melt away? And is it normal for them to get BIGGER before they get smaller?

ETA: I should also mention that I do feel like I've lost inches, certainly more than the mesuring tape shows. :( So, what gives?

Replies

• krishkake
    krishkake Posts: 11
    Options
    Good question. I've lost almost 20lbs (only 15 since I joined MFP), and I've decreased by only an inch here or there. I've remained almost the same. Very irritating, I'd also like to know the answer to this question.
  • whoisgoingtosaveher
    Options
    What type of excercise are you doing??
    Muscle is heavier than fat, you could be losing the fat whilst gaining the muscle.

Also having large amounts of water can bloat you slightly, try taking ur measurements in the morning or evening not during the day. That way you'll get an accurate reading (our bodies can change throughout the day dependant on what we've eaten, drunk or what we're doing)

I didn't bloat when i began dieting but people who have have told me it's because they were eating very high in fibre foods..... don't know if its true or not so dont take my word on it!! ;):tongue:
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Oh yes,Doll, time of day and time of month will do that to you! When I started my weight loss journey I lost 30lbs on my own,but I only went down one pant size. It was not until I got a hold of my sodium that I started losing inches. Then I lost about 40 inches but only 5 lbs!
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    What type of excercise are you doing??
    Muscle is heavier than fat, you could be losing the fat whilst gaining the muscle.

Also having large amounts of water can bloat you slightly, try taking ur measurements in the morning or evening not during the day. That way you'll get an accurate reading (our bodies can change throughout the day dependant on what we've eaten, drunk or what we're doing)

I didn't bloat when i began dieting but people who have have told me it's because they were eating very high in fibre foods..... don't know if its true or not so dont take my word on it!! ;):tongue:

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense than fat,therefore if it were muscle gain she would have lost inches.
  • mini_girl7
    mini_girl7 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion -- always measure in the morning before you do anything else. Do it on the same day, same time each week. Sometimes measurements do increase because muscle is being built, which then in turn will burn off the fluffy fat.

We all want to see dramatic results for our efforts, of course. So, your dissappointment is understandable. Exercise is a good thing, as you know, so be patient. Every body responds differently to exercise and diet. Slow and steady wins the race! Even a 1/4 in loss is an improvement -- when I measure, I count even 1/8 improvement -- it all adds up. :smile:
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I had SAME problem... BUT I did some research, and A. you will lose weight in your face and chest first! and B. muscle mass will be greater than flab!!
    also, PMSing will totally make you gain water weight! dont get down on yourself like i did!! wait acouple days and measure again and do it in the morning!!!
  • whoisgoingtosaveher
    Options
    All right i'll consider myself told!
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    All right i'll consider myself told!

With love,Never with bad intentions! :flowerforyou: