Long Journey

Options
Hi All,

My name is Debbie and about two years ago I decided I needed to get more healthy. I am 5'6" and weighed about 206 or so. Mostly, I don't eat too badly, but I'm slothful and my job is very sedentary. Importantly, I'm a truly single mom of a special needs child so finding time to exercise has been difficult.

About two years ago I decided to start slow. I was sick of trainers who push me so hard that I give up. I started walking with a friend about three times a week and got myself used to "moving" as part of life. These days, I exercise 5X a week and I can run 2 miles, now, and on the off days (I'm careful with my knees) I Thai Box. I don't do it enough (about 25 minutes) and I think I need to increase my exercise a bit.

I've been counting calories. I'm not really a terrible overeater-- it's like I'm a "little bad" and it has added up over the years. But counting calories has helped me, I think. Still, I've plateaued at 193 and it's frustrating. I DO have one of those scales that looks at BMI, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

That's my story. My goal isn't so much weight loss as much as having a healthy lifestyle that I can sustain for the rest of my life. My mother had two knee replacements so I'm trying to avoid that. Even though weight loss isn't my goal, it's still annoying when I plateau.

Best to everyone and thanks for reading,

Debbie

Replies

• FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Keep it up no matter what the scale says. Your walking and being mindful of what you eat is having a positive effect on your overall health even if the scale isn't dropping. Sometimes taking measurements will show you areas that you are improving in besides the scale. You are right, it is a long journey and it is one you can take!
  • jeneil4
    jeneil4 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hey Debbie,

Sounds like your doing it the right way. Slow and steady wins the race. If you feel like your 'Stuck' try changing things up, a different exercise or different calories, or more water. Good for you to make the choice to be healthy and truly commit. Keep doing what your doing and eventually the scale will change, Mussel weighs more than fat after all.

Try to only weigh yourself in once a month around the same time of the day. The scale is only one part of the whole equation. It's all in how you feel.

Take care and good luck with your Journey.