severly sprained ankle and Fractured fibula...feeling bummed

TAMMY_76
TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
edited September 24 in Motivation and Support
ok i recently sprained my ankle severly and fractured my fibula..now there is no working out for me for a while..i just know the weight i did loose is gonna come back..kinda feel off the wagon and i am feeling very depressed cause i really really enjoyed my workouts now i cant do much but sit on my butt with my leg propped up..how am i going to handle this till my leg and ankle heals
its so getting to me bad :(

Replies

• Hey, This stinks but it certainly doesn't have to set you back completely. Try doing some upper body workouts like punching, jabbing, upper cuts and hook punches to get your heart rate up. This is an excellent source of cardio that is very low impact and that you can actually do without moving your feet at all.. Good Luck
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    you can do arm curls and bench presses without moving your lower body too...and still eat healthy...this is not the end of the world!
  • Dutchgirly
    Dutchgirly Posts: 57 Member
    I know how you feel! I was there during Sept- Nov. that's how I put on a ton of weight, but I was drinking heavy and eating bad. I totally had the whole "f-- it" attitude. Don't be like me, do arm cardio- throw punches, get your torso flexible, and stay motivated. Curb your diet. Don't be like me and just give up on your routine. Get a few small pound dumbells and workout! You can avoid the weight gain. Good luck! :) Stay positive! It won't be long until you're in the gym again. Get strong on your crutches too. I got crazy crafty on mine.
  • Hang in there and don't lose faith. I went to an obesity clinic and they told me it's more important to get eating patterns under control than worry about excercise so you can concentrate on them for next few weeks while you heal. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    ok i recently sprained my ankle severly and fractured my fibula..now there is no working out for me for a while..i just know the weight i did loose is gonna come back..kinda feel off the wagon and i am feeling very depressed cause i really really enjoyed my workouts now i cant do much but sit on my butt with my leg propped up..how am i going to handle this till my leg and ankle heals
    its so getting to me bad :(

That sucks, no doubt. However, in the long term focusing on your recovery has got to be the key thing and I hope that goes well.

Re: the fat loss thing I posted this on another thread

Consider this study completed by Appalachian State University:

http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search/display.do?f=1999/US/US99080.xml;US1999010190

A group of 91 obese women were put into one of four groups:

Group 1 followed a calorie restricted diet of 1,200 - 1,300 calories a day with no exercise
    Group 2 performed aerobic exercise for 45 minutes, five days each week but no diet restriction
    Group 3 tried exercise and diet
    Group 4 acted as a control

Group 2 lost an average of only three pounds of fat despite aerobic exercise of almost four hours each week. Group 3 who combined diet and exercise lost the most, an average of 16 lbs. However, this was only a SINGLE (ie ONE) pound more than Group 1 who followed a diet only approach. One conclusion was that exercise, or specifically moderate aerobic exercise, has only a "minor, nonsignificant effect" on fat loss although there were cardivascular (ie health benefits)

Now, if you PRIMARY goal is fat loss then creating a calorie deficit through (good) diet is your biggest weapon. There's no getting round this.

This is then followed by resistance / strength training to preserve lean mass.

This is then followed by aerobic exercise.

Keep your diet tight and you will ride this out, no problems. You will be back to exercising before you know it.....
  • don't give up honey... there are so many exercises you can do without being on your feet. Get some hand weights and music and move. You can do several reps sitting in a chair with and without weights. You can do some work while lying on the floor. Keep your hurt foot elevated. You will burn calories as well as build muscle. Keep your chin up and keep positive. Just keep moving something :flowerforyou: You CAN do it!!!!
  • ashleyb1031
    ashleyb1031 Posts: 69 Member
    I know exactly how you feel, I sprained my ankle back in Sept really bad and couldnt work out for a while either. You just gotta keep your head up and make sure your sticking to your diet
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    I fractured my ankle in three places, dislocated it and ruptured all the tendons and ligaments when I was younger - and lost ten pounds the month I was off. Okay so I had surgery and that killed my appetite for a week, but our house has a lot of stairs and I got to be a real pro on crutches. By the time I was done with the crutches I had really strong shoulders and my other leg was really strong! I was stuck at home for two weeks after the surgery, but after that, hopping around on crutches everywhere. Don't let it stop you.
This discussion has been closed.